“Five star status not warranted.”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 1 September 2012

This is not a five star hotel. That being said its location and wonderful views over the bay are worth a visit. The rooms are pretty basic again not a five star standard. The balconies did not have a table and chairs so the view could not be exploited. The sail partitions between the balconies were very grubby. Drinks were expensive and the cooked breakfast was poor. The bacon was cold and overcooked, the mushrooms bland and I suspect tinned and even the baked beans were lukewarm. The tomatoes were not cooked. The breakfast room also felt cramped with too many tables in too smaller space. In fairness the service was excellent at all times.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment on this occasion, particularly in relation to breakfast. I have passed your comments to my Executive Chef for investigation. In the meantime I am grateful for your comments regarding service and hope we have the opportunity to restore your faith in the future.

There are newer reviews for The St. David's Hotel

Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed here for 1 night - had a lovely, clean room on the top floor (after requesting) with good views. We arrived slightly early before the 3pm check-in but were able to get into our room at 1pm :) With the staff even taking our luggage upstairs for us while we relaxed in the Spa!!

The room is well-equipped with everything you need, including; Massive bed, robes and slippers, hairdryer, Big TV, toiletries, safe, iron with ironing board, kettle with tea/coffee facilities, a reclining chair and an iPod docking station and of course the lovely balcony overlooking Cardiff Bay. My only niggle is that there was a HUGE spiders nest, as well as a few cobwebs hanging around on the ceiling, but otherwise, it seemed clean enough.

It was lovely to be able to wear our robes and swimming costumes down to the Spa in the hotels private lift - it was much better than having to walk through the hotel in front of other guests. The Spa was lovely, although a bit small - but had a large Jacuzzi with cool bubbly beds, a 15m pool, Sauna, relaxation room, waterfall and sunbeds around the area. There was also a Juice Bar upstairs which offered complimentary drinks and fruit - very nice when you are waiting for your treatments. There is also a Gym located next to the Juice bar which seemed very popular!

Breakfast was delicious and included all your usual items, ie; hot food, pastries, cereal, toast, ham/cheese and juices.

Overall, we had a lovely stay and would definitely come back again!

Room Tip: Request a room on the 6th/7th floor for the best views!
1  Thank JS2209

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and everything that St David's has to offer.

Your kind words have been shared with the team and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in a fantastic location , stunning views. Hotel car park was very small but parked in adjoing car park (£7-24 hours). Foyer was quite stark but welcome was warm. Room was good, but worn in places. Staff were very polite. Breakfast was nice, very busy at certain times. Good overall but I guess I was expecting to be wow'd.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have stayed here several times now on business and always feel welcome. The staff are friendly and attentive, rooms clean and bright. Views across Cardiff bay from the balconies are stunning.

Breakfast can be busy but staff work hard to clear away and seat you in the comfortable area over looking the bay.

My number one hotel when staying in Cardiff.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thanks ever so much for your review and the 5 score! I am delighted we are your number 1 choice when visiting Cardiff and thank you for your continued loyalty.

A warm welcome awaits your next visit.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Stayed 18th & 19th August. Had a lovely room on the top floor, very good decor, clean and well presented. We ate both nights in the restaurant and the food and service were truly 5*. Breakfast was good both mornings, but we got down early, the restuaranty is small and must have been very busy later. we will return in the future and i would recommend the hotel to anyone

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend break and thank you very much for your recommendation.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Stayed for two nights in executive suite room. Room was clean and tidy with good view's liked the fluffy pillow's and blanket. Room would not have been good if had fear of height's owing to floor to celing windows. Found balcony disapointing, no chair and not really much use as a conseqence, would have been nice to have been able to sit out and had breakfast on it. Room service good and very good choice of breakfast. Staff very polite and friendly. Did not eat in resturant as found the menu very limmited which is a shame.
My Spa experience was mixed - facilities ok, not amazing or the best that I have been too , but it was ok Juice bar lovely area. Unable to find the cafe area. Massage was very dissapointing, staff member running late then insisted in giving me her medical lifestory for the duration of my treatment. Not happy about this as I had hoped to be able to relax and forgett about my own forthcoming op! I was also unable to move the next day as I was in so much pain. My partner reported simillar discomfort with his massage.
Overall good hotel but not got the Wow factor that it could have.

1  Thank Pikey1981

Thank you for your review and your constructive feedback. Apologies for the disappointing elements of your stay, particularly your spa treatment, details of which I have passed to my Spa Manager. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

I had been looking forward to a luxury break with my husband in a nice hotel all summer. We stayed at the St. David's Hotel for 4 nights in a Deluxe King room last week. Our experience was quite average, which would have been fine if we had gone to a 3/4* place, but as St David's is supposed to be 5* I have to admit I was a tad disappointed.

There are certain things which I expect from any 5* hotel - excellent service, spacious and well equipped rooms and bathrooms, top-notch housekeeping, on site gym and spa facilities, decent location and views, a good restaurant to name a few. Also 24h parking and high speed wi-fi should be included in room rates as standard, even if that pushes up the over all room rate by a few pounds. Unfortunately St David's ticked only a few of those boxes.

First the positives - location is stunning, and the views from the balcony and even the room can't be faulted. In fact, if it wasn't for the views I would have rated this hotel a TWO. We had dinner at the restaurant once, and we did enjoy the meal very much. Service in the restaurant was superb. We also had breakfast at the restaurant one morning, which was acceptable, but nothing to write home about. Room service was ok as well. The room wasn't huge but not tiny either, and I found it a bit basic.

Now, the Not-So-Positives -

First impressions as we pulled up was that the exterior was a bit dirty and grimy, I don't mean to sound like a mother-in-law with a white glove lol but I was expecting the place to be spotless. Inside was better, but the carpet in the room could have done with a clean.

Service at the reception desk was mediocre. The gentleman who checked us in confirmed that we had requested an extra duvet, and even though the room wasn't ready for about 3 hours after our (slightly early) arrival the duvet had not been provided. When we called reception again the person on duty did bring one up to the room, which he said he'd taken from an unoccupied room...strange since when we checked in and requested a different room we were told they were fully booked. The following day when housekeeping came around we were getting ready to leave so sent them away; and on our way out requested at reception that the room please be cleaned while we were out. They said they would sort it out, but we returned that night to find the room as we had left it.
The thing that annoyed me the most I think was that on our last morning half an hour BEFORE check out was due the concierge knocked on our door - and let himself in within the 20 seconds it took me to get to the door!! Apparently just reminding us check out was in half an hour! If it was later or even if it was check out time I still could have tried to understand, but it was EARLY! If they're that keen to get guests out, pick up the phone and call the room, don't just let yourself in! Five star, yeah right.

There was an additional parking charge, and despite this the rather small parking lot was often full, and even when it wasn't actually full, some spaces were blocked off with traffic cones. So we ended up paying more to park in the pay and display next door.

The room had lovely views but was pretty mundane otherwise. Basic - no bathrobe, slippers, fridge/minibar, and the bathroom was actually pretty small - reminded me of a Premier Inn bathroom - so not 5*. High speed wi-fi was available for an additional charge, otherwise you can use the slow 30min access free wi-fi. Housekeeping didn't bother replacing any of the toiletries or things from the tea/coffee tray that had been used up - and it wasn't like we were downing everything, in fact we only used about 3 of the items. And the door closing mechanism was very stiff, I really had to slam the door to make sure it shut - the first night when I hadn't we returned to the door open. On day 3 I noticed the door to the room next to ours wasn't shut either.

The spa was ok. I had a luxury pedicure which is supposed to last 1h 30min - I confirmed this at the spa reception desk when I arrived for my treatment, which started about 15min late and finished at the scheduled time, i.e, 1h 15min later. I don't mind paying more, but I do mind when things aren't what it said on the tin. The therapist was nice, and aside from the time thing the treatment was above average, but not the best I've had. There were no gym facilities as far as I could tell, but to be honest I didn't look that hard.

Would I return again? Only if I'm desperately craving those views again, but expecting 3 star treatment instead of 5, so hopefully won't be as disappointed!

1  Thank ssc923

Thank you for your review. Your comments have been noted and I apologise for your disappointment. It is unfortunate you did not report these issues at the time to enable us the opportunity to rectify them immediately for you.

I do hope we have the opportunity to restore your faith in the future.