“Top Marks”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #15 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is our fourth visit to St David's and was by far the best. Easy check in. Staff were all very welcoming and helpful with any of our requests. Breakfast had a wide selection of all types of foods and was most enjoyable. We had a Suite that ovelooked the Bay which was extremely relaxing watching the boats go by. The room was very comfortable and well maintained. The concierge was most helpful with our luggage and had our car ready for when we went out. All in all a great stay. Management should be commended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with bay views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your stay with us. I have already passed on your comments to the team at St David’s. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for The St. David's Hotel

Reviewed 25 September 2012

I especially chose this hotel for my Icelandic guests. Functions on both Friday and Saturday led to much noise and sleepless nights. It appears to be a nightclub masquerading as a hotel. Their attitude to the complaint on check-out was patronising, dismissive and insulting. Shameful and unforgivable.

Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Gar1952
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Customer Service is something myself and the team strongly pride ourselves on here at St David's. In addition, a Guest Relations Manager is on shift 7 days a week to address any issues you may have therefore I apologise for your disappointment but strongly refute your allegation of malpractice and intentional poor customer service. In the meantime, thank you for your feedback. The opinion and comments from you, our guests are of vital importance to us and I assure you that St David’s has an ongoing commitment to supporting our guest’s needs. It is only through your valuable feedback and comments that we can improve our services and operations in the future.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

I have stayed at the St Davids before but only under previous owners so thought i was booking a 5star experience.I was disappointed but it was only minor things and it would not stop me returning again soon.
The check -in was very poor ,the girl hardly looked at me during the whole process and kept chatting to a person across the way which made me feel very invisible.The car park was very busy that weekend so i had to walk from another with a heavy suit case on a windy day,i would have liked a porter to help with the case but it was not offered ,little touches like this create a good start to a stay even if you decline the offer! The same happened again on checkout the receptionist talked to spa person next to her and i was invisible again and treated like a robot with no personal conversation towards me,i find this so annoying and rude.

The bedroom was very good and had been re-furbished recently,so no complaints there, the views across the Bay were stunning the next morning .All the other staff i met were great and chatty in the bar and restaurant at breakfast.

I feel the stay was 4-star and not 5-star but worth a stay if you can find a see an offer!
The location is wonderful for a weekend exploring The City and
Cardiff Bay Area.Plenty of restaurants and bars close by .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay. Firstly I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay. I was, however disappointed to hear your issues upon arrival and departure and I can assure you I will be personally be looking into and implementing any corrective action necessary. I am delighted that our other colleagues were welcoming to you within the bar and restaurant. Once again I thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you back at St David’s in the near future.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

recently had the 'afternoon tea experience' at the st davids hotel and it was absolutely lovely, although expensive at £18.95 each, the service we had was fantastic by the restaurant supervisor, carolina. The atmosphere in the bar/restaurant was perfect and a really nice visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Totheball

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and that our Restaurant Supervisor looked after you so well. I hope to welcome you back at the St David's Hotel and Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed at the hotel on the 14th and 15th of September. (we stayed in room 707) I booked this hotel for our Wedding anniversary. Unfortunately this hotel did not live up to its reputation. The room was shabby with dirty carpets and curtains. Rubbish was found in the wardrobe. The room was in need of a coat of paint and the furniture looked old and unkempt.
The Balcony was uninviting as it was dirty. Check in was quick and the staff were efficient but somewhat unfriendly. We ventured into the bar one evening, but with only two people there it lacked atmosphere. On the plus side the view was stunning as the sun came up in the morning and the beds were so comfortable we slept all night undisturbed.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rebecca R

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay and I am glad that you enjoyed a good night's sleep during your stay. I was disappointed to hear that certain elements did not meet your expectations and I offer my apologies for the shortcomings in terms of your room condition. I can advise that a comprehensive refurbishment of our bedrooms is currently being planned out and we hope you choose to return on a future occasion. Once again I thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you back at St David’s in the near future.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We chose this hotel for location and it's 5 stars. Most rooms have a view over Cardiff bay unfortunately the first room we were given had a view of a metal rail behind which was a staircase going to " who knows where". The room itself was lovely and seemed recently refurbished. The bathroom was excellent and the room temperature was easily adjusted.
At 3am we were woken by very loud banging. As we were both in a deep sleep we could not decide wether the knocking had been on the door or the window. Either way I did not get much more sleep that night.
We requested a move due to the unnerving banging and the lack of view. The staff were very understanding and we were moved to a room with a nice view of the bay, but had not yet been refurbished. The shower was not as efficient, the carpet was wafer thin, the furniture had seen better days and the room was cold.
Service in the restaurant was dire, so slow. We waited 45 mins after ordering before our lunch arrived.
The beds in both rooms were very comfortable.
The staff were very friendly and attentive at reception and housekeeping.
The Spa was lovely. The pool and jacuzzi area was excellent..
Overall not quite 5 star but deffinately 5 star prices.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Firstly I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay in particular the beds in our rooms, our friendly staff and the Spa facilities. I was, however disappointed to hear your other issues involving the room move at 3am and the service in the Restaurant which I can assure you will be looked into and any corrective action will be taken. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We booked this for our anniversary and had a good deal for two nights. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious with a lovely view overlooking the bay. Seating on the balcony would have been a nice touch as could not stay out there long with nowhere is sit. (screwed down obviously because of high winds) Nice touches in the room and bathroom but was disappointed not to have a fridge in the room. Bathrobes and slippers were provided as well. The rooms could however do with updating as there were stains on the divan of the bed and the carpet was worn. The bathroom was quite old fashioned with the odd white tile being replaced with a different batch of tiles you could clearly see the difference between them.
Breakfast was exceptional though with the usual choices of cereals, continental hams and cheeses, pastries, cooked breakfast, lovely assortment of fresh fruits and I mean fresh not from a tin. Three choices of melon, summer fruits, citrus fruits etc. The choice of spreads was good too. From sugar free marmalade and jam right through to Marmite along with the normal spreads. The service was brill too. This is what makes a five star special. Did not have time to use the spa though so have not rated this. I would go there again but only if I had a special deal again. Love the Bay as it had everything you need for eating out. Good variety of restaurants and pubs.

Room Tip: None as think all have good location/view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edwina m

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I am delighted to read about your breakfast experience and how pleased you were with our service too. We currently have refurbishment plans for our bedrooms in review and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the St David's Hotel and Spa in the near future.