“Not worth 5 stars”

The St. David's Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 25 August 2015 via mobile

Visited here as a special break away with my partner after a stressful few months. I feel as though I have wasted a whole £130 on a room at this hotel. It was nothing special compared to a premier Inn only extra was the view and a ipod docking system which I don't own. The room itself wasn't anything special it was the same size as a standard premier Inn room. There was a balcony with a view over the bay which was the only thing I guess good about the room. There was an old leather recliner as well which was well worn. There was tea and coffee facilities but it was standard no extras you would expect for a 5 star such as I would expect a coffee pod machine for the price I'm paying. I have stayed in 4 star facilities which are cleaner and offer more for the money you pay. Breakfast was £18.50 I was definately not going to pay that much. There was better places down Cardiff Bay to eat. Room service also expect you to pay an extra £5 tray charge. Car park is also £15 which is a stupid price to pay. The spa wasn't much good either which ridiculous prices and not much there to offer such as in some spas there are steam rooms, ice rooms etc they don't have that here. Overall I just feel I have been robbed for my money which I work hard to earn especially to afford a place like this.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2015

Dear emz91_12,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am very sorry to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations in regards of the room, breakfast, spa facilities and car parking. I shall discus your comments with our team here at St David's.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for The St. David's Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2015

Some good, some bad, some great.

GOOD: the bathrooms are big, wonderful bathtub, the bed was wonderful and it was a beautiful building.

BAD: I felt like the staff has been directed to be pompous. I met some really nice and helpful staff but the "sir" and "ma'am" came off as disingenuous and distancing. Also the restaurant of overpriced, they attempted to charge us for something they told us was free, and there was a sculpture of buttcheeks (no joke) in our bathroom. I would rather feel welcomed than status. I would rather have friendly, jovial staff than one that tries make me feel like I'm a "guest at a fancy hotel." Like I said, I got the sense that the staff are nice and friendly people but that they've been directed to create that environment. This may sound very critical ... but I still marked the hotel 4-stars as it was not an overwhelming sensation, and all the good points outshine this.

GREAT: OMG, the location is awesome! You can not beat the location. And it was a relaxing place to stay with great nuances like the tea, the towel elephant, and soft bed. The view was unparalleled.

It was truly a great hotel.

Room Tip: Don't eat in the restaurant. They told us the breakfast is free, then charged is $70 ($35 per p...
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2015

Dear David E,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Am delighted that you St David's to be a "Truly Great Hotel" and thank you for your feedback regarding the manner of our staff. It is important to us that the staff are highly polite and courteous, yet friendly and approachable.

With regards to the "buttcheeks" in the bathroom, these were part of the original interior design concept and we are currently undergoing refurbishment of the rooms, when these are being removed.

We hope to be welcoming you back to St David's ion the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

We booked a suite since we were travelling with our son. When I first called to book I was told that I would have to book two rooms since no additional bed could be put in the room. Since I was not happy with this, I asked to speak to the hotel directly. They of course said that we could have an extra bed in our suite to accommodate a child. The suite wasn't really big enough for an additional bed though, so we were a bit cramped. We also had to pay for the extra bed!! It was a lovely corner room with great views, and a balcony - although the balcony was covered in cobwebs with flies caught in them, really needed sweeping. I would consider this to be an average sized room, definitely not my idea of a suite. We recently stayed in a hotel with a much larger room, which was not a suite. Other down sides were paying £15 a night for parking, and children under 16 only allowed to use the pool between 10-12am and 3-6pm. The hotel staff were polite and attentive. Wouldn't bother staying again.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family

Dear LadyEJ,

Thank you for posting your review.

I am sorry that you experienced difficulties during your initial booking process with central reservations and glad to read that when contacting the hotel direct, these were sorted out for you.

I am sorry that you found your Junior Suite to be cramped when adding an extra bed to the room. Unfortunately, due to the original design of the hotel, we do not offer specific family rooms.

The child swimming time in the spa are there to try and ensure that all our guests are catered for and have a comfortable experience. These timings are currently under review.

I am glad to see that you found the staff to be polite and attentive, and we truly do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

Ours was a daytime group visit to the spa. We loved the spa and pool, particularly the standing and horizontal warm jets. This hotel is unique in that it has great views over to the marina, bay and the marshland that has visiting flocks of birds and ducks. The views are breathtaking in all weathers. The lunch was good quality wraps in a bento style box.

The other advantage is that even with visiting hen parties on a Saturday, these feel less intrusive than other spas.

A negative point but not insubstantial one is that the quality of the treatments were mixed, some were good and others by too new therapists.

Due to prices paid for these, these could be consistently better, examples being the facial is done without a hairband to separate hair from the face. Heated electric blankets left on, baking on a warm day, client should be asked, other rooms aircon cold without sufficient covers. No pillows around to prop up knees or under tummy when face down for those that need them. The main thing was the massages - feedback from our group was variable - ineffectual to very good.

It may help management to give out review forms to spa clients so they can gauge feedback and maintain consistency.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends

Dear Grecophile2011,

Thank you for taking the time to post you review.

I am glad to read that on the whole you enjoyed your experience. I shall ensure that your concerns regarding inconsistency with the treatments is passed to the Spa Manager for investigation.

We hope to welcome you back to St David's in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2015 via mobile

Hotel was lovely breakfast was fantastic it was really comfortable bed and yes I would stay there again and I would recommend it but I also like people to be aware that you have to pay £15 for parking for your car which they did not tell me till I arrived

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear 82mick,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and found the breakfast to be fantastic. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 August 2015

The St David's hotel is an imposing, modern hotel in Cardiff Bay. We stayed for a couple of nights and enjoyed the experience hugely. The room was modern and clean, with a superb view across the bay towards the barrage.

The staff were helpful and courteous and the general ambience of the hotel is one of a high quality establishment. The food was excellent, the bar area welcoming and the reception staff always willing to assist with any enquiries.

Unfortunately, we were unable sit on the balcony which was a shame but the reclining armchair in the room was a welcome bonus.

To get to the city centre, I suggest you get the water taxi from Mermaid Quay (a short walk away) rather than drive or get a normal taxi. Its cheap £4 per person and a scenic and novel way to travel. It'll take you to Cardiff Castle Gardens right in the centre of town!

I'd certainly stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
StDavidsH0tel, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2015

Dear Clive Gerrard

Thank you for your feedback.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with and thank you for your comments with regards to our
helpful and courteous staff, ambience and food offering.

We very much look forward to your return in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

Just got in from staying the night at St David's Hotel and Spa and what a fantastic time it was from the moment we booked in until we booked out was a great experience. Great room upgraded without extra cost of a view over the Bay Area & wetlands very swish room sparklingly clean wonderful deco. The usual facilities of tea or coffee making everything you could wish for and more.

We didn't use the Spa as we had gone to see a show in the Millennium Centre but we're give a guided tour of the facilities which were first rate.

The restaurant has views across the bay the food available was top notch along with a waiter service bar.

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay it's not cheap but then first class very rarely is would highly recommend.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul Y

Dear Paul Y

Thank you for posting your review and saying we are "The Best In Cardiff".

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future, when I hope you will be able to enjoy all the facilities within the hotel.