6 people are viewing this hotel
US$173
Hotels.comUS$214
vocoHotelsUS$213
getaroom.comUS$224
All reviews aveda toiletries great views across the bay david's hotel stunning hotel parking charge hotel guests fantastic room spa facilities an upgrade mermaid quay nespresso machine junior suite floor to ceiling windows the hotel car park afternoon tea hot buffet welsh cakes
Selected filters
Reviewed April 25, 2021 via mobile

A truly exceptional stay! The staff couldn’t have done more to make our stay special. Particular thanks to Dominic & the staff in the spa. Great hotel, lovely facilities & fantastic food - inspite of restrictions meaning we could only have treatments and room service.

Date of stay: March 2021
1  Thank zlrbr
Peter Hughes, Guest Services / Front Office at voco St David’s Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2021

Dear zlrbr
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It certainly captures the experience we aim to provide all our guests with at voco St David’s

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay and in particular enjoyed the spa, and our wonderful in room dining, with us and very much appreciate your feedback. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team!
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit Cardiff.
Warm Regards - voco St. David's Team

Reviewed April 20, 2021

Don't get me wrong, its still a great hotel, perfect Bay location and amazing views, but this time it just didn't feel quite as luxury. With the pool and restaurant/bar closed due to the pandemic its difficult to really rate the overall hotel fairly. This is just based on our experience this time and mostly about the room selection.

My family and I stayed here on the weekend for one night. I booked a double double room as we have 2 children and needed the other bed and this was the only room on the website that can accommodate the children. Having stayed at the hotel before and upgrading to a suite before, I know first hand just how good some of the rooms and views are and how luxurious this hotel can feel overall. So I was a little disappointed to see my pre arranged upgrade request couldn't be put through because none of the suites have 2 beds to accommodate the children. Instead we were given a double double on the 1st floor as the only option. The room was fine and there is still a view from the balcony/terrace, however this particular room was not quite the luxury we were expecting. In places it was looking pretty tired, most notably the bathroom which is in a real need for an upgrade (The blue and green tiles reminded me of a holiday Inn 25 years ago).

The staff were perfectly helpful and apologetic about not being able to upgrade and we even received two free glasses of Prosecco to try and make up for this. Its just a shame, having been in lockdown this was a little break away and I purposely booked this hotel as a bit of a luxury and I walked away thinking it was just a fairly basic hotel stay. Its a shame that perhaps the hotel couldn't be slightly more accommodating towards guests with children who are quite willing to pay for an upgrade. Maybe some roll away beds could have been offered, which has been the case at other hotels around the world.

The hotel was quite obviously very empty due to the pandemic and I just feel perhaps a little more could have been done to create a more memorable stay for me and my family.

On the plus side, we felt the hotel was safe with quick check in and check out, sanitiser everywhere and room service delivered to your door. The staff were very nice, the room was clean and felt safe. The room service food was a little limited (Understandably) but was prepared and delivered quickly and was delicious. Cant fault it.

I will stay at the hotel again but maybe not as a family stay. It seems its more suited as a couples/business trip sort of stay and when the pool and restaurant/bar are open after lockdown it will be back to being more of a luxury hotel again.

Date of stay: April 2021
Peter Hughes, Guest Services / Front Office at voco St David’s Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear GeorgeMacd,

Thank you for writing your review following you recent stay with us.
I am sorry to hear that this time the hotel did not meet your expectations. We were experiencing high demand for our suite rooms as the spacious lounge area was great for in-room dining. I hope you can return once all of our facilities are open again.
Kind Regards - Peter Hughes

Reviewed April 9, 2021

Had an amazing stay with my husband- upgraded to signature suite and very helpful staff. Breakfast was delicious and included in the price. Felt safe with Covid. Can’t wait to return when the spa is open. Thank you for a great stay - laura

1  Thank lam19842019
Peter Hughes, Guest Services / Front Office at voco St David’s Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2021

Dear lam19842019,
Thank you for your review and rating following your excellent stay with us. We are glad you had an amazing time and discovered our delicious breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind Regards

Peter Hughes - Guest Services Manager

Reviewed April 5, 2021

We were lucky enough to stay in the junior suit on the top floor of the St David’s hotel.
From the moment we walked into reception we were greeted with a huge congratulatory welcome. They had even given us a wedding card from the staff which was very heartwarming.
We got to the room and was gobsmacked by its size and gorgeous views across Cardiff Bay & Penarth.
We had a lovely macaroon desert and bottle of champagne in our room, which we drank on the balcony as the sun went down.
We ordered room service and had a pizza and burger.
Before the food arrived, we were notified via a phone call to let us know it was on the way- which was greatly appreciated.
The breakfast service was equally organised. Although the restaurant was not open due to the pandemic, there was no disruption from the 5* service - if anything they were even more attentive.

I could not recommend this hotel stay enough - especially if you are lucky enough to get a suit.
Thank you all!

1  Thank shannonjohnson04
Dominic Kermath, Guest Services / Front Office at voco St David’s Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2021

Dear Shannonjohnson04,

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay in particular the interaction on arrival with our colleagues and the view from the room with us, and we very much appreciate your feedback. I have passed on all your feedback to the relevant department managers and we will continue to provide the top service you mention in your review.

Warm Regards
Dominic Kermath
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed December 12, 2020 via mobile

I love this hotel however i am sorry to say that on the last few occasions i have stayed my advance requests as to floors & views from rooms have gone completely ignored. The new company seems to be focused on charging you for an upgrade if you make a preference e.g. high floor/ Mermaid Quay side. Also £4 for a measly sized filter coffee is a bit over the top. It’s a shame they seem to be so greedy now & are neglecting customer service : even if you are an IHG Gold member. The hotel is in a spectacular position & has so much potential; it spoils it when the management are so avaricious. I have stayed here for decades, since it opened & it is one of the best....I have in the past even been upgraded to the top suites on more than one occasion: this would never happen now. It’s such a shame it has been unnecessarily tarnished in this way, forgets about loyalty and places the emphasis on maximum profit.

Date of stay: December 2020
1  Thank Titanium_13
Peter Hughes, Guest Services / Front Office at voco St David’s Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2020

Dear Titanium_13,

Thank you very much for providing your feedback following your recent stay with us at voco St. David's. Your comments regarding our focus away from great service is not reflected in any other recent reviews. I am sorry to hear that on this visit we were unable to fulfil your specific room/view request. We try to satisfy as many requests as possible, we trust you understand that there is no guarantee. Our Platinum & Spire Elite members normally receive an upgrade (subject to availability) hopefully soon you will have enough points/stay nights and can enjoy this privilege. We hope to welcome you back soon and if you let us know who you are then we will pay extra attention to your future bookings
Kind Regards