“Stay away”

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 28 October 2017

Terrible experience.

The location is quite central and convenient, but during the weekend drunken idiots on the street will keep you awake.

Old building, the floor is squeaky, if anybody walks in the corridor during the night they'll wake you up.

The bathroom smells like sewer.

Complained with reception, they said they are full and made excuses.

I stayed three nights (Thursday to Sunday). On the last day the room was not cleaned (when I came back at the end of the day the bed was still as I left it, they simply didn't get in the room at all)

After complaining at the reception, Richard told me I have to put out the "please clean the room" sign if I want my room to be cleaned. This would be the first hotel ever to have this policy. In fact, after asking why they did clean the room in the previous days he preferred to shrug his shoulders.

The breakfast is rather poor, some hot breakfast is served (sausages that taste like plastic, some decent bacon, some mushroom that taste like cardboard). Mediocre selection of cheeses (a brie probably from Tesco), same for the pastries. Coffee was the only ok thing.

The prices have been jacked up for some local overhyped event

Room Tip: Please stay away
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank MarcoB-LDN
Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)

Reviewed 26 October 2017

This hotel is right in the heart of Cardiff. It made it easy for us to walk to the castle, catch a bus and find somewhere close for meals. I would not call this Hotel classy but it meets the travelers needs and supplies an OK breakfast. Cardiff is party central so choose your room carefully as the noise of a Friday and Saturday night goes until around 4-5 am.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from street noise
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nalpick
Reviewed 26 October 2017

My friend and I stayed in this hotel for one night when attending a concert at The Motorpoint Arena.
Location is brilliant as the hotel is right in the heart of the city.
The staff are very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was great and plenty of waiting staff on hand to assist if necessary.
Bar facilities are great.
On returning to the hotel at about 11pm, the front door was locked and it took a long time to be let in.
Was disappointed with room. At first sight we thought the room to be very nice. However, it soon became apparent that the cleaning of the room was not very thorough. There was dust on the floor in the bathroom behind the door (which was very noticeable when you use the toilet) and also in other places. The plug chain was broken. But the worst thing was that, when I unplugged my phone charger from behind the bedside cabinet, I came across a pair of men's boxer shorts!!!!
The tea and coffee making facilities were bizarrely in the walk-in wardrobe! As there was no lighting in the wardrobe, it was quite difficult to see what you're doing! There were no biscuits with the tea/coffee.
The safe is also situated in the wardrobe, but didn't seem to work. We did not mention this to reception, we just decided to do without it. The shower was not easy to adjust.
We could not find any controls for the air conditioning (which was quite noisy) ... but I guess we could have asked in reception about this.
The beds, however, were comfortable and we slept well.
Although I have mentioned a few negative points, I would stay at this hotel again, but I would not class it as a 4* star, I would class it as 3*

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank babbsies2016
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Friendly and helpful staff. Lovely clean rooms, linen fresh and bed very comfortable. Quiet room. Bar nicely decorated. Really enjoyed our stay at The Royal again. We had toiletries in our room, which were really nice. We will always use this hotel when visiting Cardiff, a delightful hotel.

Room Tip: We have stayed in different rooms and all have been good.
2  Thank Ron B
Reviewed 14 October 2017

An easy and short walk from the Cardiff Railway Station. Check in service, located on the second floor, was efficient and friendly. There is an elevator. The room, located on the fifth floor (facing the city mall) was spacious, clean and warm. The hotel bar tender was friendly and helpful. However it was an extremely restless night's sleep due to the Cardiff's natives performing their late night rituals after quenching their thirsts (which went on for most of the night).

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2017

I enjoyed my stay and the breakfast is good but i wouldn't get the extras or the packages on their website again, if you're going to stay just stick to the room price just regret paying for all of the stuff I didn't receive.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

A quick review because it was only a quick stay. Nice hotel, perfectly placed for either the shops or the madness of St Mary Street. There was a little noise during the afternoon (although most of this was just one street drummer playing the same refrain over and over and over and over and over.) There was no noise at night at all (but we were late back anyway.)

Nice breakfast (which would have been even nicer with Black Pudding).) Decent sized room, with comfy beds. Really the only drawback was the bathroom. The one room where you want some light so you can see how decrepit you are in the morning – was in fact so dim you weren’t sure if you were looking at a mirror or a picture of Dorian Gray

But we will be back!