2 people are viewing this hotel
Expedia.comUS$146
TravelocityUS$146
Trip.comUS$153
2,654 results
All reviews swimming pool car park the sofa bed steam room leisure facilities minute walk per day good size standard room lovely hotel reception staff coffee machine great facilities cardiff centre would stay again reception area breakfast was excellent
Selected filters
Reviewed September 28, 2020

Was a Comfortable room during our stay, however there are a few issues I feel the hotel would benefit from by addressing them, firstly, twelve pounds per person for a cooked breakfast consisting of hash brown, sausage, mushrooms,,,, and a boiled egg????? Who on earth thought that was a good idea, maybe scrambled eggs, some tomatoes or beans just to add some moisture to what was akin to eating sawdust. Yes I understand there is an issue with covid but really? This should not be an excuse.
Secondly,we have eaten at the hotel several times In the past, but to be served in what was a glorified McDonald's box with wooden knife and fork was bordering on shambolic, we ate out at another 4* hotel on the 24th, a deal bought on Groupon 3 courses and a bottle of wine for 2 for £45,all served on proper crockery with proper cutlery and proper napkins, I think you guys could learn something here, maybe the same kind of deals would help you recover some of the trade lost during this pandemic, surely something to think about, whilst the food served to us was of an acceptable standard and quality, the manner in which it is served certainly isn't befitting of a four star hotel.
Thirdly, the customs shed is an inviting environment, and should be one of the most important assets to the hotel, the staff here are very hard working as are all staff, what was our favourite go to place in cardiff is now a shadow of what It once was.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Douglas Goncalves, Other at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2020

I am so sorry to hear that your stay at the hotel was a disappointing one & clearly we did not meet your expectations. For that, I am truly sorry.
Whilst we try to navigate the very challenging times that are affecting all of us at the moment due to COVID & with the safety of our guests always being at the forefront. We treat all feedback as an opportunity to improve, so I thank you for taking the time to write the review and your breakfast comments have been noted with the relevant person/s.
We hope to better serve you in the future & with The Customs Shed back to its former glory.
Suzanne Staples.

Reviewed September 14, 2020 via mobile

We have never stayed at a hotel for 14 days but our stay at Novotel Cardiff City Centre gave us what we needed for this big move we had from Hong Kong.
My husband and I worked in the hotel industry for over 2 decades so we knew what to expect and where to find another set of towels in the wardrobe in the room and how to adjust the air-con panel from air-con to heating or another way round by switching the mode without any issue.

Due to Covid-19, the check-in and check-out procedures were minimized to protect the hotel guests and staff, but in my opinions they'd better stick with the standard registration process for profile & reservation verification to avoid further missing information yet for the benefits of tracing in case a Covid-19 case confirmed at the premises. Housekeeping service was at request and we had absolute no issue with that, the only comment we had would be the reminder we had by Housekeeping team knocking at the door before 10am on due-out (twice for us as we had a separate reservation and they weren't connected after night audit).

Overall, our room was clean and comfortable. Special shout outs to Svenja and Ryan at the front desk. Thank you very much for your hospitality. You were the most helpful ones, very responsive and attentive to our enquiries and needs during our stay.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind words!! We very much appreciate your feedback as we always aim to improve our processes inline with Company guidelines and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed stay at the hotel. I will certainly pass on your comments to Svenja & Ryan, I know they will be over the moon!
We hope the move from Hong Kong has been a smooth one & we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Suzanne Staples

Reviewed September 14, 2020

We had a lovely stay at Novotel, great staff, lovely clean room, the building it's set in is beautiful and the decor is perfect. Would have been a 5 star except for a couple of gripes.
- the cleaning staff banging on our door every 15 minutes when we still had 2 hours before checkout
- covid rules - as hospitality workers we were surprised to see that ALL drinks were served in either plastic or paper cups
- do feel like the breakfast choices are very expensive for a small breakfast served on a paper tray.

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to our hotel. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the disturbance from housekeeping, breakfast & paper cups for our action.
All feedback is taken as an opportunity to improve. We hope to see you in the future.
Suzanne Staples

Reviewed September 12, 2020

Friendly staff, very clean hotel and taking CV19 seriously (if not a bit too far - see below) good location near city centre 10 minute walk but a few niggles.

1. Due to CV19 if you get a drink in the bar or food you get it served in a plastic glass/cardboard box. I am all for making things safe however this makes no sense at all when every bar & restaurant in Cardiff is serving drink/food glasses & dishes. Went to the bar the first night and didn't go again after that.

2. Air con in the hotel room did not work - room was extremely hot at night & it wasn't even on a hot day so goodness knows what it was like mid summer!

3.Swimming pool/gym. Had to book in slots due to CV19, again fine with this. However first slot was 12.00 which is quite late in the day for a lot of people who like to go in the morning. We were heading out for lunch so the later slots meant we had to miss out on using the facilities.

4. When window was open extremely noisy as opens onto a busy road, not hotels fault but ask for a room not next to the road.

If I could give a 3.5 I would but I feel doesn't warrant a 4 rating.

Room tip: Get a room that is away from the noisy road
Date of stay: September 2020
Douglas Goncalves, Other at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to our hotel. I’m pleased that you found the staff at the hotel to be friendly & that you are happy with the processes we have in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The safety of our guests has always been at the forefront for Accor UK.
We have noted your comments about the plastic drinks cups which has since changed & the air-con which we are looking into. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
The pool times have also been extended recently. We hope to see you in the not too distant future.
Suzanne Staples.

Reviewed September 11, 2020

Stayed here for a few nights earlier this month with family (3 rooms on different floors). The hotel was generally as expected, it's an average hotel nothing glamorous. The service provided during our stay was well above average though - really friendly staff.

Key points for others to note;

Parking is charged as an extra on arrival, at £13 per 24 hours. I'm told this is good given other rates in the area.

If you want breakfast, get it added at the point of booking. It's also an extra at £12 per person per night - but can work out at £2/3 per person per night if added when booked.

Spa facilities are currently closed due to Covid and the pool must be booked in advance for 1 hour time slots only, and for limited numbers (5 people I think).

Room tip: Rooms on level 3 seemed to be hotter than other floors
Date of stay: September 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy that the staff were helpful & friendly.
We are pleased to advise the pool has now re-opened to residents and members only.
We hope to see you in the not too distant future.
Warmest regards