“Book It” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
“Book It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

At first glance, the hotel is fantastic!!! Check-in was very efficient and quick. Very friendly staff. My friend and I stayed one night and we were on the third floor, the room had one double and one single bed but didn't feel cramped. It's also very close to Cardiff Central train station - (walking distance) and our room overlooked the railway line, don't be put off, it was quiet! The room was clean and an ice machine just down the corridor too, plenty of clean towels! & also decent sized shower gel, shampoo and hand wash in the bathroom!! Large hairdryer in the drawer! There was also and iron and ironing board! The weather was muggy when we stayed so the air-conditioning was a god-send. I would definately stay here again! Excellent location all round for shops, bars etc..! Very clean hotel! :

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Hayley L,

Thank you for your excellent review on trip advisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass your comments onto the team who will be overjoyed you had such a fantastic experience with us.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Czech first
southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I have just returned from a weekend staying at the Maldron Hotel in Cardiff. We were a large group of 16 on a hen do and the hotel was in a perfect location for everything you need. We were all pretty much located on the 6th floor with views of the train tracks and over looking a decidedly dodgy house that apparently was for down & outs and drug addicts!!! However, we didn't spend our time looking out the window so it didn't matter. The room has the basics you need inc a hairdryer (which I didn't see mentioned on their website room facilities so took my own), tea & coffee, safe, and some wall dispensed shower creme. The beds were very comfy, as were the pillows and everything was clean and tidy.

On floor 1 there is a bar, which was quite pricey for drinks. We didn't eat in the restaurant nor did we order room service. However, located just across the road is a Wetherspoons where you can get a full breakfast for £2.99 (quite tasty too!).

This hotel is in the perfect location, a 5 minute walk from Cardiff Central train station. A 5 minute walk of shops/bars and restaurants. A taxi rank is also located just by the hotel.

The staff were incredibly friendly too, from reception staff to the "bouncers" that keep watch at night (added security, as this area was incredibly busy until the small hours of the morning).

The only slight niggle I had (but not enough to reduce the rating I gave it) was the seal around the window frame. Being on the 6th floor and over looking the train tracks the noise disruption was quite high, and unfortunately the seal around our window didn't block out the noise and the wind whistling through sounded like a hurricane was passing by. We mentioned this to reception who said they would look at it. On our return to the room the noise was still there, maybe slightly reduced or we had just got used to it.

However, this does not take anything away from the hotel and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone thinking about staying here.

Dear Jennyjoop,

I am delighted you enjoyed your time in Cardiff and felt it important to write a review on trip advisor. We understand the time it takes to write a review and appreciate your feedback.

It was a pleasure to have you stay us and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed here last night due to myself having having laser eye surgery in cardiff, the surgery was quicker than expected which meant we were ready to check in by 12.30 . The manageress checked us in with no problem at all,although check in is not until 2pm. I was so grateful for their flexibility and no problem attitude, the hotel is in a fantastic location right next to the train station, Although our room was on floor 3, overlooking the track, the trains come by very slow and hardly any noise was heared, even during the night, it really didnt bother us. The rooms are decorated nicely and includes a big tv, iron, ironing board, kettle, hairdryer. The only little niggle for me was that they have gone to the expense of kitting out the bathroom with dove handwash and body wash but scrimp with toilet tissue which is worse than those in public toilets (not a complaint, just a observation). Thoroughly enjoyed, would highly recommend, would definately use again & wouldnt even consider any other hotel in cardiff for out next stay. The breakfast was outstanding, plenty of choice and fresh. The checkout was efficient and speedy, literally took a minute to check out. Staff are very friendly and cant do enough for you :-)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Dear zxr,

Thank you for your kind comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your comments and I will pass them onto our accommodation manager.

I hope your treatment went well and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cardiff for a more pleasurable return visit.

Warm regards,
Neath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

I stayed here with some friends on a hen do, and would thoroughly recommend. A few hundred yards from central station, and close to bars and restaurants. Perfect.
Staff where very friendly, despite it being really busy when we checked in. Rooms were very clean, nicely decorated with the usual amenities like tea/ coffee and a rather large TV. We were on the 7th floor and had a great view over Cardiff.
Breakfast is rather expensive - a short walk away, you'll find a nice wetherspoons serving breakfast at a third of the price!
There are gym facilities here, but didn't get a chance to check this out! (little worse for wear in the morning!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the top floors overlooking Cardiff as opposed to railway track. The two lif...
Dear Neathsiany,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. As a new hotel we value all feedback & use it to better improve the service we provide.

As a city center hotel we have benchmarked our breakfast prices with other competitor hotels. Our price is currently £12.50 per person for a full buffet breakfast. We try to offer a good range of buffet products and a discount price of £9.00 per person is available if booked in advance. I will pass your comments onto our F&B manager and we will re-look at our breakfast offering.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review on trip advisor and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel in the not too distant future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Just back from 3 x nights at this hotel. Very swanky and everyone very nice. If get the chance to try it will be very pleased.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear Johnmaclondon,

Thank you for your positive review on trip advisor. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I am delighted you had a fulfilling experience with us.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope you would consider a return visit in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our well deserved break last weekend.I requested a quiet room and got one on the top (11th) floor which had fantastic views. Every member of staff we encountered couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The hotel itself was excellent, very clean with beautiful decor. My younger daughter and her boyfriend (who are at uni in Trefforest)joined us for breakfast on our last morning and were made very welcome also. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will certainly be staying there again. Many thanks to all!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear Molwat,

Thank you for your kind comments on trip advisor. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I am delighted you experienced this first hand.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Welcoming staff and interesting decor. Very close to city centre and local train station(1-2 mins walk). Facilities include use of local gym, room service, cleaning, free wi-fi.
The rooms are large and t.v.'s are a good size with commanding views of the city.
Baths are spacious and all elements of the room are clean.
Would recommend if you get a good deal and avoid on busy weekends if you fancy a quieter stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors better views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear JH6056,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. All residents have full access to a local GYM and FREE WIFI which I am delighted you felt a good addition to our overall facilities. I am delighted you felt our hotel was clean and well maintained and I will pass your comments onto our housekeeping manager.

As mentioned Cardiff is a busy city with high volumes of weekend and event traffic, hotel rates in the city tend to fluctuate based on the city occupancy however, we often offer good discounted rates when booked in advance. Please contact a member of the team for any future bookings, they would be happy to assist with any available discounted rates.

I hope to welcome you back in the future,
Kind Regards,