Lowest prices for your stay
US$58
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
Booking.comUS$54
ZenHotels.comUS$58
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 16, 2019 via mobile

A nice hotel with clean rooms and a comfortable bed! Was right at the top of the hotel and you can imagine my legs after the Cardiff half marathon when I had to navigate all the stairs!
The second night a shop alarm went off at 4 am and didn’t go off til 9 am! All in a apart from this and the stairs it was good!

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Simon6567, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2019

Thank you so much for such great feedback.
I hope we get to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed October 7, 2019

You need places like ML Lodge - smack bang in the city centre but with only the essential amenities to justify a bargain basement price. If you want somewhere as cheap as chips to take you off the street for the night, then consider this place.

I had a huge room all to myself (I booked a single but got a triple). The bed was pretty comfy and the shower was lovely and hot, with great water pressure. Everything was spotlessly clean. Yes, there are some stairs (funnily enough it's a multi-storey building!) but if you're otherwise able-bodied they shouldn't be a problem (if they are, take a long hard look at your fitness levels).

But there are some huge negatives. The furniture is shabby, and there's a certain arrogance about leaving heavily scuffed paintwork and worn-through carpets everywhere. The TV was miniscule and I couldn't find the wifi network to connect to. The windows are single glazed so you will hear everything that goes on outside if your room faces the front. The front door is opened by a fob, but people then didn't bother to close the door behind them, which made me rather nervous. Breakfast is served over the road at the Sandringham. The waiting staff over there were lovely, but the food was pretty mediocre.

All in all, it was bearable, but if I'd been staying with someone and hadn't minded a late-night walk, I'd have chosen the Travelodge or Ibis a little further from the centre - same price but better quality.

Room tip: Room 4 is on the second floor and overlooks the main street
Date of stay: October 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you very much for your feedback.
I hope you may consider returning in the future.

Reviewed September 22, 2019

I was absolutely disgusted when I arrived at this place. Went away to Cardiff for the speedway had no idea where I was staying. As soon as I knew you had to collect keys from somewhere else, I knew this wasn’t a bed and breakfast or hotel. 77 steps to my room with all luggage. Which you literally had to drag up. Cleaner or not sure if we worked watched me struggle and of offered to help. This was very hard and strenuous to do. Carpets ripped as you went up the stairs, paintwork dirty and scuffed. Windows appalling wood some black and rotten. After the dreadful stairs hauling up luggage I was very disappointed, do not stay in room 6, you have no scenery apart from brick walls, when you can get the window to open it’s black and rotten on ledges. The bathroom had a shower their was a box near the floor which adjusted some heating linked to shower, this was held up by a pushed pedal bin underneath it. I was unaware moved the bin and then the shower cut out, pushed it back and the shower worked. Just because the speedway was on the £225 charged for 2 nights, with no breakfast available, this was a total rip off, this was more like a hostel room with the view out of the window which felt I was in a prison cell. You certainly would not want a fire in there and you definitely would not stay here if you have children, older of have any physical lower limb ailments. What should of been a lovely weekend break for the speedway was a total let down and disappointment which was down to the accommodation that I stayed in. Which led to a very unhappy and tense weekend. Would not stay here again ever total dump.

Room tip: Just don’t stay there
Date of stay: September 2019
1  Thank Lisa R

I am very sorry to read about your disappointing stay and I shall certainly be looking at the issues raised.

Reviewed September 9, 2019

The steps here are very steep. Was 5 flights of stairs to get to my room. Light switch in bathroom didn't work,window didn't open, water marks on ceiling. Can hear every room around you and above you especially between 12pm - 3am in morning!! . No remote for television. Breakfast is across road at hotel opposite and I never even knew hash browns could be slimy.

Good points. Staff friendly. Good location. Bed comfy

Wouldn't stay again

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Simon6567, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2019

I am really sorry Vicky that you have not enjoyed your stay with us but I thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed August 27, 2019

If people are complaining about the state of the building and rooms stop spending time replying to every review and go fix the problems. Reading reviews since 2015 the replys have been signed off by the same person.. so how has one reply said in the last two years there's been new management? Also pride week was on and everywhere was booked so how could the last review have checked out? Plus most places are non refundable once booked! Most reviews of not all are bad! I would avoid and stay elsewhere.

The last review is accurate.. the carpets are shabby its weirdly laid out up steep steps. Your door will bounce if someone else closes there door (even if yours is locked). Not informed about a deposit of 20quid for a key... Which personally is a bit steep and asking for a disposit of cash or I.d... personally I'd never give out i.d to anyone regardless if they put it in a safe. The money off offer for a food place just feels like there's trying to make up for the shabby rooms. There were marks all over the carpets in the room. Windows are not doubled glazed and dirty as anything. If your looking for somewhere to fall into after a night out, where you don't notice or care how shabby it is well book here.. once you start noticing what's wrong the list will just get bigger

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Simon6567, Manager at ML Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2019

Thank you for your feedback.
I have stated that there are new owners not new management.
I can assure you as I check regularly that there was availability on that weekend in Cardiff. Non-refundable rooms can still be refunded if the guest is not happy. In this case we would refund if leaving within half an hour of arriving.
The deposit is only a reminder to bring the key back, nothing else. This is mentioned on all booking sites.
We are rated as 7.7 on the biggest booking site. Could be better I agree but above other chain hotels.
My replies are genuinely trying to give a balanced view and I apologise if this has offended you. This is not my intention.