“Disgusting! I'm not surprised it's closing”
Review of Churchills Hotel

Churchills Hotel
Ranked #47 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 20 July 2015 via mobile

I stayed here a few years ago for the rugby so we came back for a last minute trip. I don't know what went wrong but I'm not surprised it's closing.

The first room we were given was absolutely filthy, it was down a little corridor of its own and obviously hadn't been touched in months!! We complained & the manager didn't seem bothered about the state of the room but did offer us another room. The second room was better but still not clean, only what had to be cleaned had been. The telephone was filthy, there was cobwebs everywhere and the housekeepers need lessons on how to make a bed properly (that's if they even have housekeepers).

Reception is never manned and we felt like we were an inconvenience to the lady in the bar. She was extremely rude towards me when I rang down to ask when the unnecessarily loud music would be turned off in the bar.

We chose not to eat breakfast because the state of the cleanliness in the hotel and rooms in general made me think what state is the kitchen/none public areas in?!

None of the staff seemed interested in providing a decent standard of customer service. Overall we're extremely disappointed and I'm not surprised it's closing soon!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 July 2015

Ended up staying here as my usual place was booked up during graduation week. Never again!
Very dated, very tired, very dirty. Looks like the entire hotel hasn't been cleaned or decorated for about a decade.
On the plus side staff were helpful and location is good alongside the fields however a bit of a walk into into the city centre.
As suggested won't be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Alex M
Reviewed 17 July 2015

I had the misfortune to stay in one of the cottage suites however I agree with previous reviews the staff are friendly. The hotel is dirty and I suspect they do not employ cleaning staff as the bathroom had not been cleaned, including the sink and bath and a dirty towel had been left from the previous occupant. The 'clean' towels were damp and I could not make use of the downstairs facilities due to the heavily stained furniture. The breakfast restaurant is no better, the carpet looked like it had not been cleaned for a while and was held together by tape however the staff are very nice and cannot do enough for you but would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank 66tink2
Reviewed 14 July 2015

Hotel was in a very good location for city centre and for the cricket (first Ashes test). The welcome was extremely warm and inviting and a very helpful receptionist (explaining everything clearly and showed us how to get to the city centre etc). The hotel itself needs a bit of TLC - looking very dated and tired (but gather there are plans being discussed which would account for this). However very clean and tidy. Excellent cooked breakfast - which set us up for a days cricket! Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2015

I had a suite booked for Tuesday 8th July before attending the Ashes Test Match, boy was I in for a shock the dust was horrific lampshades damaged leaking radiator and what looked like someone had been ill down the side of the bed ! It was that bad I was allowed a £60 reduction on a room which I was being charged £160 a night!
The staff were really nice

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Jayne F
Reviewed 6 July 2015 via mobile

Waiting patiently in reception for what seemed like forever (10 mins in reality) after a rather long journey, I was greeted by a smiling man who informed me I'd been upgraded to an outside room.
I hate to think what the standard rooms are like!
The room smelled old even though the windows had been left open.
And is generally grubby and far from pleasant.
I still have not braved the shower!!
Have a lot to fit in with work and play so don't have time to be moaning about things that can't be changed! But doubt I'll be coming back!!
Breakfast is plentiful

Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2015

I first stayed at this hotel 20 years ago and at the time it was one of the best hotels in cardiff. I stayed at the hotel on tuesday evening. The room was so hot with only a very small window and no air con. The room had not been decorated for some time , the walls were damp with paint bubbling onthe walls. There was mould growth aroud the window frames, no valance sheets on the bed bases and no mattress protectors! The carpet on tne stairs had tape over threadbare carpet.

Room Tip: From what i could see there are no good points about this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family