“Very Good meal = great service=”
Review of The Old Barn Inn

The Old Barn Inn
Ranked #75 of 435 Restaurants in Newport
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
undy
“Very Good meal = great service=”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My friend and I had lunch at the Old Barn last week and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of food we received. It was very good.

The waiter was well training and treated us very well = not calling us "guys" or "gals". We are of an older generation and expect to be treated properly and we were.

the cost was very good and will certainly visit again

• Visited December 2013

Blackwood, United Kingdom
“Awful! Don't go if gluten free! ”
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

My parents and I visited the Old Barn Inn at the beginning of the Christmas break, after fancying it for a while.

I have Coeliac disease so can't eat anything with gluten in it. We rang and asked about this when we made a reservation, and was told it was no problem, and that "chef uses cornflour in all sauces anyway". Great, I thought!

When we arrived, we were told to find our own seat, no waiter was available. Fair enough. We waited for around 15 minutes before we saw a waitress. I asked about the gluten free. Waitress went to the kitchen, and when she returned, informed me that no sauces in the menu were gluten free. She said the chef could make a gluten free Bisto gravy.

Annoying but I said OK. She left with our orders, but then returned again. The gravy actually isn't gluten free. Hmmm.

I said fine, I'll have the gammon and chips. "Sorry, the chips aren't gluten free"

Really?! So on the phone when we made the reservation, we were told a complete lie. The waitress had an awful attitude, no apology, and would never return there again! Poor, poor service.

Newport, South Wales
“Well overpriced pub grub & drinks”
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Stood at the 'tired & in need of a refurb' bar for a good 8-10 minutes to even be acknowledged let alone served!! We asked if we could eat and were told table 28 was free to go and sit there, when I asked if table 28 had a number on it the waitress replied "oh it's just easier if I just take you there" Jeez! Sorry to put you out!! We sat a a small table in the bar, ( there was a party going on in the restaurant so it was out of bounds) in close vicinity to another couple who started to talk much quieter as there was no music, ambience or atmosphere at all. Add bright lights to that and you might as well have been sat in a doctors waiting room.
We had a look at the menu and could not believe the prices they were asking for what can only be described as a pub menu! Nearly 12 quid for a lasagne and it didn't even come with chips!! There were other just as expensive pub food dishes on there but we decided to finish our also expensive drinks £6.75 for a pint of Worthy & a small cola and leave. Won't be rushing back here in a hurry. Stick to the Groes Wen up the road, much better value for money and much more welcoming all round.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank RubstersMomma
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Food Cold, Overpriced and Tired Seating Area”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We had a meal for two on a Friday evening and had no trouble getting a table as it wasn't that busy.
The menu wasn't that varied and was relatively expensive compared to most bar meals in the area. Our meals had to be returned as the chips were served almost cold and although the meal came back piping hot it does tend to put a dampener on things. We were however given a slight discount on paying the bill which didn't really make up for a disappointing experience.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank grascots
Derby
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and venue”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We recently visited The Old Barn Inn as quite a large group whilst staying at the Celtic Manor resort.

Whilst we were large in number (approx 16) and had to pre-order, the service was quick and the food was excellent. The food was freshly cooked and reasonably priced.

I'd definately visit again during stays at Celtic Manor.

Visited September 2013