“Friendly Owner”

Arnie's Backpackers
Reviewed 20 March 2009

I had mixed feelings about this place. I liked the very friendly owner and staff and was impressed with the knowledge of Belfast. However, I feel that in these smaller hostels, it can feel like you are intruding into someones home. The atmosphere was okay, but thats not something that i really value in a hostel, after all, its only a bed for the night, its not like you are staying long term. Rooms were comfortable (ask for a 4 bed dorm, the others looked to crowded and cramped). Overall an ok place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 March 2009

oh my god i never want to be a backpacker, this place was so dirty i'm suprised i' ve not got scabies, the curtains was hanging on by the cobwebs, and the hostel had a funny smell all the time, apart form that Belfast was nice and we had a great ST. PATS DAY. .

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank ANGIEJOCK
Reviewed 1 July 2008

I didn't book, I just came to have a look, they had a free bed and offered me a cup of tea, i didn't need more.
This hostel is not the biggest, the modernest, the cleanest you can find, but this is the more friendly you can find.
The staff is really pleasant.
This is just a big house full of friend sharing it for few nights.
And it is one of the cheapest of Belfast.
15 mn walking from the city hall, 3mn from the university and from the wonderful Botanic Garden.
I felt so good there and i met so fine people that i decided to stay a bit longer...

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2008

We (3 girls aged 20) stayed here for 1 night in June 2008.

It was more than adequate for what we required - just somewhere to crash after a busy day of sightseeing followed by a few pubs.

Location is about 15 minute walk into the centre, near Queen's University. This is an easy walk.

Room was fine apart from the beds being a bit close together in terms of top and bottom bunk. There was us 3 in our room along with another girl as it was only a 4 bedded room. A negative would be the fact that the door to your room is not locked and so anyone could potentially walk in and take your things, but you can leave any valuables with the staff.

The staff were friendly and welcoming (you have a cup of tea made for you when you arrive!)

We only used the kitchen to make cups of tea but there was fridge, cooker, hob and the cooking utensils and pans etc needed. It was cleaned by the staff once a day so I would happily of used it.

There are 2 showers in the entire building and a max of 22 people staying at one time but we didn't have to queue for the showers and they were fine.

Would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank keentraveller120
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I took my two children to stay for one night and would never go back again unless the security was vastly improved. I booked all of the beds in the room so we would not have to share with anyone we didn't know (my children are 11 and 6 - the hostel does not seem to have a Child Protection Policy in place, unlike other hostels we've stayed in).

There are no locks on the doors that work, they have been jammed deliberately which I didn't know about before I booked. We were placed at the top of the hostel and so should've been left alone, but at 3:15am a man entered our room and I had to ask him to leave. I did not sleep for the rest of the night as I would not risk my children's safety. The only reason I knew he had entered the room is because I had placed my suitcase against the door and it was knocked over and into one of the metal bunk beds making a huge noise waking me up.

The hostel was clean the beds were comfy (although one of the beds was placed right next to a window that did not shut properly and therefore could not be locked). The only secure place to keep anything is the staff room but you are charged for this.

The only real problem I have is with the security, which I feel is severely lacking in all aspects.

The Canadian girl who booked us in was very friendly and pleasant, unfortunately she did not arrive the next morning until after we had already left so I could not inform the staff of the intruder in our room in the night.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Jomdaisy
Reviewed 14 January 2007

If you're accustomed to continental style private hostels, then you probably won't like Arnies very much. It's reasonably located (near Queens University), and friendly enough, but the rooms are very crowded, and the other facilities are not all that good.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank JRL_Oz
Reviewed 14 November 2006

friendly staff - willing to offer good suggestions as to where to go, what to do etc. Good, quiet location (10 mins walk to pubs etc). Nice rooms (though may be a bit cramped if full).

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple