“Ideal for a rainy day”
Review of W5

Ranked #29 of 243 things to do in Belfast
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We visited here on a very wet rainy day over a holiday week. The place was busy but manageable. I would advise booking in advance to avoid the long queue in the morning rush as there is a fast track lane.
Ideal for younger kids, I would say up to 10yrs possibly.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,055)
All reviews
in 12 reviews
"great value for money"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Visited with my 10 year old son on a rainy day. We’d been a couple of times previously and had quite enjoyed it. I was a bit concerned he might have grown out of W5 before going but he said he wanted to go so in we went. After spending £17 on tickets for the two of us and wandering around for 30 mins he declared he was bored. To be honest I found it hard to argue against this point of view. I do think my 5 year old would enjoy it a lot more but to be honest the exhibits are limited in number and are frankly a bit old hat. The screen based stuff is really dated when kids have tablets at home these days. Given the queues waiting to get into this place and what they charge they should really put some thought into increasing the number of areas (many of which get very crowded on busy days) and renewing some of the stuff.

In summary, a couple of hours entertainment tops for a sub 7 year old but I’d think twice about taking anyone too much older. And way too expensive for what it is.

1  Thank Robert S
Whowhatwherewhe... B, Manager at W5, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Hi Robert,

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts about your recent visit.

We are sorry to hear that you feel W5 needs updating. We recently renovated our ground floor, opened our new activity zone 'Spacebase' and introduced various new exhibits and exhibitions areas such as The Construction Zone, Robothespian and Augmented Reality. Last month, we also opened a new coffee shop and are due to open to new and refurbished gift shop in the coming months. Please note, W5 is a not-for-profit charity with educational aims and any profit generated is invested directly back into renewing and improving the business.

It's also important to point out that we have recently secured a £4.5m investment package that will enable us to complete a major refurbishment and public engagement programme, allowing us to continue our redevelopment and refurbishment programme. Therefore, please be assured that we are investing money into our offering, with the continued aim of inspiring our visitors with the wonders of science.

Again, we are sorry that you felt disappointed, and hope that you have a more enjoyable experience if you choose to visit us again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 2, 2018

Well worth the entrance fee. Spent six hours with a four year old and 18 month old who were both entertained and enthralled for the whole time.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

This was my third visit since W5 opened and definitely not the best. I wouldn't recommend visiting on a wet bank holiday as the crowds will totally ruin the experience. In fairness this is not their fault but I did feel they should have cut down on the crowds by doing a pre booking only in days like this to manage the number and ensure the experience is not spoilt, especially with the price being charged. I found that despite queuing up for some of the attractions patiently, people were constantly pushing in on front of you. To be honest I'm glad to be back home now, i thought I could cope with crowds and noisy kids (I have one of these myself!!) But in the end the noise was a little too much on the senses.

2  Thank Philip A

Dear Philip A,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your recent visit and we are sorry that you left disappointed.

As you noted, due to the bad weather and Easter holidays, we experienced a high volume of visitors on this day that you visited. Please be assured that we take visitor health and safety very seriously and we ensure that we are fully compliant with fire and health and safety legislation at all times.

Customer feedback is extremely important to us and we really hope that you give us another chance and allow us to show you our usually high levels of customer service and experience.

Kind regards,