“Great christmas at the wellington park mrs ann laverty”

Wellington Park Hotel
Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in Belfast
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great christmas at the wellington park mrs ann laverty”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

my friends and i spent christmas at the wellington park hotel,the staff was friendly and very helpfull the manager couldent do enought for us he made sure everything went according to plan the night was a great success so much so we cant wait till next christmas.THANKS GERRY

1 Thank Ann L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Reviewed 20 January 2012

My hubby & I along with our friends thought this year we would book in to a local hotel and really bring 2012 in style. We booked into the"4*" hotel & the superior rooms.. On our arrival there was a wedding party and a bit manic around the reception. When we went into our superior rooms, I thought there had been a mistake. I would not like to see their basic rooms. Such a let down. I hate to think of visting tourists expecting 4*superior rooms and getting this. Large wardrobe but with insuffient hangers for an over night stay and not a drawer to place your smaller pieces of clothing. The bathroom was just tiny and tacky looking. However it was very clean and backing onto a quiet avenue. Dining experience, excellent, food and presentation just perfect, Aiden our waiter a delight. Sorry I can't say the same for the wine waitress, not the sharpest knife in the drawer! Biggest disappointment was that we couldn't get anywhere near the dance floor and had to remain at the edge of the dining room floor. When I asked to speak to the manager and explained that there was several residents in the same position as us he proceeded to not only to move the other party of about a dozen people even further back but then moved us round n front of them We found the whole experience hugely embarassing as it looked like we had asked to have them moved.He muttered about health and safety. Had we came in of the street we would have most likely got better seats.As it was we were stuck between the disco and the more adult floor and the mix of the different types of music was horrendous. We had booked very early for dinner and were ensured that after there would be seating and that one of the staff would take care of this - not so. Breakfast was a disgrace, would have got better in a truckers cafe! £189 for the package, a rip off in this hotel. One learns from experience thou...............

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
1 Thank Troopersfield

Travellers are raving about these Belfast hotels

Reviewed 15 January 2012

A friend and I stayed for a night. We took the 'here come the girls' package. We were so excited to go and paid well over £200 for the experience, expecting four star hotel treatment. It included a stay for two, a three course dinne, champagne reception, and two spa treatments.
We got to the hotel and parked round the back. It looked rubbish ands aid to ourselves that it was four stars and would undoubtedly be better inside.
There was a wedding going on when we got in which had taken over most of the hotel. I wouldn't have minded but if we had been warned it would have been nice as the hotel lobby was crowded with loud music playing which you could hear over most of the hotel. Not the most relaxing start to your spa night away. Staff at check in seemed distracted when dealing with us, and no wonder. We were given our keys and walked up to our room. I think this was the most disappointing bit. Nothing like the misleading Internet pictures, mediocre at best. One double bed and one single meant both of us were paying the same price for different sized beds. The room trays were basic and disappointing, not even with any biscuits to enjoy with our tea. There were a ridiculously small amount of channels on the television to choose from, and these mostly included shopping channels. Though we booked for two, the room seemed to be dressed like it was for one, with one bathrobe and a poorly laid out room. We went down for dinner, expecting our three course dinner in the restaurant, only to be told that the restaurant was closed, the menu was limited and no one serving us seemed to be sure what was included in the package food wise. One guy told us it was two courses, another one one, no one mentioned three. We were sitting at an un set table in a sofa at the bar with harsh lighting and no one knew if drinks were included or not either. This further marred our dining experience as we had no idea what was included and what we were going to have to pay extra for, on top of the£200+ we'd just paid. We went back to our rooms, not really good for relaxing in but the wedding party had taken over (fair play to them, but we did not know this was going to happen!) The next morning we had to be out of our rooms for twelve but our spa treatments weren't until four, which made it seem like it wasn't part of the experience at all. Breakfast ended at ten and was a buffet. Too early for any relaxing holiday goers for breakfast to end in my opinion, especially as the whole thing was mass produced and self service. A few of the laid out glasses were dirty and so had to pick our dining utensils carefully. We left and came back at four for the spa treatments to be told a taxi was being arranged for us. We were highly confused until we were told we were going to a small beauticians down stranmillis, who were top class for what they did, don't get me wrong... But when you're expecting a spa in the hotel until that point, we were disappointed. The taxi drivers were rude and didn't have a clue where they were going, and relied on us for directions before eventually stating 'we'll find it somewhere'. Not the taxi drivers' fault but they were obviously ill-informed and the one taking us back nearly took our heads off when we explained that the hotel paid for the taxi and we didn't know how that had been arranged. We left thinking we were going to have to pay a parking charge for the car, as this is what we had been led to believe, even though we were guests. Thank goodness we didn't, but the worry of not knowing what we had paid for in the package and no one else seeming to know either made for a very unsettling stay which I would have valued at £50,

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Heatherturkington
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Recently got married at the Wellington Park, the best package about which came with great staff, excellent service, nothing was a problem, everything and everybody catered for. A lot of family stayed at the hotel for two nights including a pre wedding meal and carvery the day after the wedding, not a bad meal in three days everything served warm and on time, no more attention to detail could have been provided. To top all this off my wedding was on on New Years Eve so there was lots of other guests in the hotel but this never once impacted on my service, i really can't recommend this hotel enough, looking forward to the time ahead when they complete there redevelopment as they only thing this hotel doesn't have aside from other Belfast hotels in its league is relaxation facilities such as a pool & spa. Althought this will not stop me from returning time and time again. Also had my hen party at the hotel and again the menu and meal exceptional, great value for money, all basis covered with Disco and Live Music.....it really is the Best of Belfast in my book!

Room Tip: All rooms well furnished, if having big numbers i.e bridal party use a suite as the split level is r...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsMoore11
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Hi . I've stayed at this hotel quite lot of times in the past few weeks due to family member being in hospital. The staff are excellent, caring. It's like being from home from home. All the receptionist are 1st class. Malachy and Gerry the managers are always smiling!! Breakfast staff and Aidan always so helpful as with all the staff. I was reading some of the reviews , I was bit wary at first. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.Many Thanks to you all Jenny!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My husband organised for us to stay at the wellington park for New Year along with 5 other couples as a surprise for my birthday. I was really excited as we never get the opportunity to have time away as we have two babies. We booked the New Year's Eve pakage which was £169 per couple for night's stay, 5 course dinner and live swing, disco. We arrived in our room on the 4th floor and I was totally disappointed for a 4* hotel as our room was very basic. It looked nothing like the pictures on the webpage. The door of the storage cupboard beside our room was damaged.

When we went down for dinner we didnt know that it was just dinner in the restaurant. We thought it would be a room solely for New Year Eve party. Instead it felt like any other day and just dinner!! Not even a balloon in sight to create a party atmosphere! The dinner was fairly good, although I asked for a well down steak and got medium rare. I didnt complain as it would have taken too long for a new one to come out.

The swing disco was then in the front foyre which was packed by the time we had dinner and so we could not get a seat, which i thought should have been reserved for people who bought the new year package! Instead we went into the disco, which was not busy for new year's eve.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel for the New Year's Eve package as it was well over priced. I could not be more disappointed as this is a rare opportunity for me and my husband.

The staff were friendly on the phone when booking this package with my husband but i wish they had said it was more suited to an older crowd as we are under 30!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katharine g
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Our Christmas Party held here last weekend and i was so impressed with quality and speed of service. Dinner served promptly at 8pm. We were in a room with 200+ and the staff seemed to take it in their stride. Food came out hot. Had the turkey. Come 11pm the place was a buzz both upstairs and downstairs - I have often heard about the "wellie" on a Saturday night - and it was most certainly entertaining -in a good way. If i have my way we will be booking again for next year.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
hgibson, Head of Sales & Revenue at Wellington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
Thank you very much for reviewing your recent visit to the Wellington Park Hotel. Weekends at the Wellie are legendary and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.