“mixed views”
Review of Malmaison

Malmaison
Ranked #25 of 45 Hotels in Belfast
Reviewed 13 October 2017

We were staying at the hotel for two nights and booked two double rooms for single use at a really good room rate.
Positives:
Fantastic room, comfortable bed (though so high I nearly had to use a ladder to climb on). good TV, brilliant bathroom and accessories.
Excellent receptionist on arrival, though she was leaving to go to the new Titanic hotel.
Negatives
Arrived at 11am so knew room was not available and told to return after 3pm. Left luggage but were shocked on return to see that it was left behind the reception in full view of the public, and the desk was not always manned.
On returning at 4pm, told one of the rooms was not yet prepared. Waited a further half hour before room available.
You expect two things from a hotel - to have a room and look after your property - failed on both counts.
Breakfast was far too expensive when all you want is cereal and toast. Your loss, a cafe's gain.
Nice bar area and restaurant, but drinks and meals far too expensive. With another 25 hotels currently being built need to up your game if you want to retain the tourist trade.
No air conditioning, and I couldnt leave my window open because - ironically - adjacent air conditioning units make too much noise!

Great location and beautiful building but need to get the basics right.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are on a busy main road and rooms at the back have a noisy yard.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank David H
StephG321, Front Office Manager at Malmaison, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear David H,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. I am sorry you found aspects of your stay disappointing. If you would like to discuss your stay further with me please contact me on receptionmgr.Belfast@malmaison.com

Reception Manager

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Location great. Reception warm, friendly and knowledgeable. Jade was superb, a real asset.
Room size ok, but amazingly poor storage even for a three night stay. Clothes had to be left in cases or stored on TV shelves! And NO airconditioning! Yea, there's a fan.....
Bar atmosphere great with showy cocktail making.
Breakfast room cramped, buffet unexciting and repetitive(two identical bowls of fruit salad?) Cooked breakfast cold, sausages from Central Purchasing, tasteless bacon(and soggy limp soldiers) And in Belfast, land of the cooked breakfast! Shame on you, cost accountants who clearly are in charge!

Room Tip: Avoid the chains, try a boutique in this town.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charles a

Dear Charles,

Thank you for you review. I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay with us. This doesn't sound like our usual standard at breakfast and I will certainly look into this for you. If you would like to discuss your stay further with me please contact me on receptionmgr.Belfast@malmaison.com.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

Helpful staff. Hotel lobby would benefit from more lighting, instead of intentionally keeping it darkly lit. Room decor is modern. Hotel bar and restaurant service was consistently slow over several evenings, when I was one of no more than four customers present.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
StephG321, Front Office Manager at Malmaison, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear KBVSeattle,

Thank you for your review with us. I am glad to hear you found the staff through-out your staff helpful. I do apologise for any slow service you received through-out the bar and restaurant, this is something I will highlight with the team. I hope we can welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

This is a good hotel close to many attractions in Belfast, including bars and restaurants. We didn't eat in the hotel since we found it too pricey for us. The room had alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks, as well as snacks, most of which had to be purchased.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnneMarieGoodfellow

Dear AnneMarieGoodfellow,

Thank you for you review. I am glad you were able to enjoy what Belfast has to offer as tourist destination. I hope we can welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

The mattress was incredibly uncomfortable. I could feel every spring. Didn't help that the walls are thin and I could hear other guests, not that I could hear street noise all night. Staff was very friendly, hotel design is nice, but will not stay there again because of the mattress.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Daniel G
TinaWS326, General Manager at Malmaison, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Thank you Daniel G for your review.

I am sorry that you felt the bed was very uncomfortable. We have recently begun a replacement programme for all our mattresses and a number of rooms now have a new Malmaison standard mattress. Perhaps you could let me know which you room you stayed in so as I can investigate further. My email address is twells@malmaison.com

Reviewed 2 October 2017

One of the great things about the Malmaison is it's location so near the Central Train Station. Very handy if you're coming from Dublin and want to walk along with your suitcase. Once you've stowed your suitcase, it's also very convenient to practically everything else: Victoria Square, The Titanic exhibit, and Berts Jazz Bar. The hotel is well kept up, the rooms are roomy, the hotel appurtenances (like Do Not Disturb) very witty. The best thing, however, is the incredibly helpful front-desk. Marvelous people.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
TinaWS326, General Manager at Malmaison, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Thank you BFK-NYC1 for your review.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

The location here in Belfast is perfect to walk everywhere you want to go, from great pubs to shopping to the Titanic. Our room was modern, updated and very comfortable. If you have a car, park in the lot next door and get a card from the hotel when you check out. We spent only 10L to park over 24 hours. One tip I would add is to always contact the hotel directly for information on parking and loading if you are driving yourself. The staff was very helpful, got us checked in early and helped us with recommendations in the area. We would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms far from the elevator and away from the street side. We had no problems on the 2nd fl...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
TinaWS326, General Manager at Malmaison, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Thank you Charlene L for your review.

We hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.