“Disappointing”

Paddy's Palace Belfast
Perth, Australia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed here as part of the paddy wagon 6 day tour of Ireland. The tour was excellent, and all the other hostels were great, but this one in Belfast I was pretty disgusted in, except for our dorm which at least had clean linen. The dorm door didn't lock, the lock was broken, so I spent most of the nite awake. About 1am, a stranger poked his head into our room, as he opened the door and saw me staring at him he left. When I mentioned the lock to the person in charge he said it must have been the group the nite before, and would look into it. He never did. The downstairs toilet was leaking water on the floor, so unable to use it, and no toilet paper on the 2nd floor, when I mentioned this he said we are behind in things. The showers were dirty as well. I didn't spend much time in the kitchen preferring to have a coffee from Starbucks. There is no need to have hostels in this state.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I did a two day tour of Northern Ireland with Paddy Power when I was in Ireland last year and chose to stay in the private accommodation instead of the main part of the hostel. So this review is for the private accommodation that Paddy Palace offers. When I booked this I thought I was just going to have my own room within the main hostel area, but to my surprise, it was actually a whole separate apartment I had to myself which was located just across the road. It was modern, big and clean. There was a washing machine in the full-size kitchen. The living room had a sofa and flat screen tv. The hostel is located close to the University and is walking distance to an area with many restaurants and pubs. The staff was very nice and accommodating. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010
Israel
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed here twice- beginning of August, then again beginning of September... Both times we booked a 12 bed dorm, on our second stay we got "upgraded" and were put in a 4 bed dorm which was great...
Nice sitting room, free breakfast was standard and good...
Staff were really great! Very nice and helped us with some great tips about places to go out, and places to eat...
The only problem we had was when we got back one night our key to the front door didn't work, and they don't have 24/7 reception so we had to bang on the window of our room (which was thankfully on the 1st floor) and pray our roommates were in to open the door for us... so check your keys during office hours!!
They also offer a free tour with any 2 night stay (a £18 value)... We went on the tour and even though we thought the guide was obnoxious we got to see the Giant's Causeway which was awesome and we wouldn't have seen otherwise...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Brillent sitting & Kitchen area plus bbq area! Kitchen facilities really good!! lots of parking outside! Very comfy beds and lovely staff! Def will be back!!! :D

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Left there yesterday and have bed bug bites all over me. The place is not clean. Only good thing is the free tour with Troy but I would rather have paid to go on the tour and not have bed bugs.

• Stayed June 2011

Travellers are raving about these Belfast hotels

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2011

The hostel was clean enough, and while it could use renovations, it provided perfectly acceptable accommodations. Location is close enough to downtown that it's easily walkable or accessible by bus. Although I'd purchased two nights in the 14 bed mixed dorm, when I arrived I was informed that there were none of those beds available, so they were upgrading me to a 2 bed private room, which was pretty cool :)

Wireless internet was free, but wouldn't work from inside my room on the top floor. There are potentially a lot of stairs to go up and down to and from your room and no elevator, which could pose a problem for some people. Washrooms were only located on every second floor, and some of them were out of order, but I never had to wait for one, so that didn't prove much trouble. Breakfasts are included, and there is bread/toast, condiments, ceareal, and milk. Staff seems to be always around if you have questions or issues.

They advertise a free Giants Causeway bus tour if you stay at least two nights. It's only free on days other than Friday and Saturday, though, which were the two days I was there, but they gave it to me at a discounted price (15 GBP). Now the tour itself: I would highly not recommend it. It was badly organized; we were told be in the lobby at 9:15 am, and so we were, and we got on a bus for the Paddy's Tours tour company, which was going on the Giants Causeway tour. The bus driver never checked off names as we got on the bus, never even counted us. Then the bus drives into Dublin at the end of the day and leaves us there. Apparently there should have been a Belfast bus there in the same location at the same time in the morning, but due to delays it wasn't there. We had no way of knowing we'd gotten onto the wrong bus, and so got stranded in Dublin that evening. When we tried to plead our case to the tour company, the driver actually swore at me and the other Belfast-bound travelers and called us stupid for not having checked with him before getting on the bus. I was appalled at the unprofessional way in which they handled our case (in the end myself and the other stranded passengers ended up buying ourselves bus tickets back to Belfast. If we hadn't had the money, though, I'm truly not sure what we would have done), and therefore don't recommend them to anyone, even though the tour itself was quite wonderful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Hostel could definitely use a renovation. Bunkbeds were ok, but window didn't closed, so I catched a cold. Bathrooms were also in very bad condition, several didn't even work. Lounge room was ok, but closed at 10pm already, so did the kitchen. City itself didn't impressed me either. Trip with Paddywagon and Troy was great, tho.

Room Tip: with working windows!