All reviewscentral locationsteakfamily run hotelveggie breakfastbar foodpub grubrestaurant downstairslovely feelcomfortable bedmiddle of townfamily groupincluded breakfastgood sizefood was lovelydining roomlast weekendno hesitation in recommending
Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

Great food here, home style top quality food, service can be slow as everything cooked to order. Great selection of drinks available as well.
Excellent coffee available from the bar.
Friendly staff on hand for whatever you need.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

This review is about the food only. My wife and I have stayed here a few times and we recalled that the bar food was fairly ok. So we went here and both of us had battered fish, one with champ (mashed potatoes with spring onions) and one with chips (£8.50).

Both were served with a smear of mushy peas and a small salad. The cod was superb, it was fresh and a good portion with a light crisp batter. The mash was pretty good and while the chips were ok I suspect they are pre made and bought in. Really home made would have added a star.

We had beer and a sparkling water. The service was ace and we had comfy seating. It's important to remember the price here as it's good value; I've been charged as much and sometimes more in a takeaway. Another tip; battered cod and chips with fino sherry is amazing. Try it sometime.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Newryoneisback
Charlemont, Owner at Charlemont Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review the food for us, we are pleased that you were happy with the food, sorry to hear that you thought your chips are bought in , we serve only chips that we have prepared ourselves. This is what most of our customers pass comment on the fact we do our own.
We thank you again and hope that you will come back again to sample our home cooking.

Reviewed May 29, 2017

I stayed one night for business reasons. Check-in was chaotic although friendly and helpful - but no info offered about WIFI or breakfast, I had to ask. My room was on the third floor, lift not working (as I arrived, so did a busload of Japanese tourists with huge amounts of luggage so they must have been chuffed!). The room was a throwback. Mouldy, dated bathroom (dark hairs in the bath, ugh), no hairdryer, black fingerprints on the ceiling (??) stained furniture, huge TV that only worked sometimes and a weird inter-connecting door which didn't lock so I had to push a chair against the door to feel safe. Bed seemed clean enough. Breakfast was basic but OK. No staff available at check-out so I just left the key card on the desk. Perhaps, as a single traveller, I got the booby prize room. I kind of hope so as I'd hate to think that visitors to Northern Ireland are getting that standard of accommodation. There's a limit to what you can get away with folks, do some cleaning and updating.

Room Tip: Third floor is probably quieter but I would hope that rooms on other floors are of a better standard
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Bluebell H
Reviewed May 8, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here recently on business. Once I found the car park I was booked in and up to my room. Hotel is nice enough if a bit dark and dated. Room was a good size as was the bathroom. The room was also slightly dated with marked furniture although clean with a comfortable bed. The bedroom window was very dirty on the outside.
Saying this, the staff were helpful and pleasant. I wouldn't book this for a romantic night with my partner but on business it was ok. WiFi good .
Didn't eat here so cannot comment on the food. But I'm sure it's fine as I saw other people happily eating.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank KevinD3216
Reviewed April 27, 2017

My first visit to Armagh, sadly this hotel didn't match any of my expectations.Beds were substandard with lumpy mattress's. Our room was at the front of the building . The constant deafening noise all night into the early hours of the next morning ensured none of us had any sleep and were exhausted the next day. Breakfast was greasy and not at all varied with little choice for the hot breakfast option. The receptionist was pleasant but that aside, I would not return to, or recommend the Charlemont Arms.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family