All reviews central location steak family run hotel veggie breakfast lively bar local artists traditional hotel bar food pub grub restaurant downstairs lovely feel middle of town comfortable bed family group included breakfast last weekend good size
Reviewed August 16, 2018

This is the third time I have stayed in this hotel for the Charles wood festival. The staff are amazing and the place is so homely and welcoming. Says a lot for the place when a member of staff buys you a drink when he was off duty.
Thanks Gary and the place will miss you when you head on your journeys.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
totaltravel1936, Guest Relations Manager at Charlemont Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2018

Ho there RM,

Thanks for taking the time to review us.
Gary heads to Australia tomorrow and staff and customers will miss him a lot!

Best,

Andrew.

Reviewed August 15, 2018

Over the years I have lunched with various groups in the Charlemont. The meals have always been top quality and excellent value and service is friendly and efficient. It is a homely spot with a relaxed atmosphere. Latest visit was 14th August and none of the group had been here before. They were most impressed and congratulated me on my good taste!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

The Charlemont is a very charming and friendly little family-run hotel situated in a great central location in the beautiful Cathedral city of Armagh.
The bedrooms are large, clean, and spacious, with really comfortable beds.
However the bathroom, while clean, had black mould on the ceiling and partially on the wall. Otherwise, the shower was lovely and hot and powerful, and the towels replaced fresh daily.
Breakfast at the Charlemont was a treat, there were self-serve cereals, yoghurts, toast & plenty of good strong coffee available in the dining room, and the friendly waiting staff promptly buzzed in and out taking orders for cooked breakfasts.
As a vegetarian, I was delighted that they had a delicious cooked veggie breakfast on the menu, comprising fried egg, potato garlic, fried bread, grilled tomato, beans, and mushrooms. All in all, a breakfast of champions, that really set you up for the day ahead.
My one big issue with the Charlemont was that the lift does not work, and hasn't for years, apparently. As I have mobility difficulties I found the stairs very inconvenient, although the staff were very helpful and carried my luggage to and from my room on arrival/departure.
All in all, the Charlemont is a quirky hotel with a lovely atmosphere. Yes, the decor is a little dated, but it's not marketed as a luxury hotel, and is not priced as such either. However, for what you pay for, the Charlemont is a perfectly comfortable, clean, and character-filled hotel, and a great base from which to discover the delights of Armagh and surrounding areas.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2018

I checked the hotel website before arriving and was very impressed with the hotel. Alas we were let down badly.
The room although large was very dated though the bedding was spotless. The bathroom was very dated with cracked tiles, dirty grouting and a dripping shower the whole time we were there
Breakfast was a disaster, with no one to greet us and then an elderly lady approached our table and said Yes! She took our order and we had to wait a considerable time for either the food or coffee. My husband asked for Earl Grey and he was told we have none of that stuff.
When the breakfast arrived it was an anticlimax. The bacon and sausages were undercooked with little colour. The egg, soda bread and potato bread were very greasy and tasted oily. A tomato on the plate would have made it more appetising. The coffee was undrinkable and the toast was barely toasted. There was only marmalade which was tough for me as I would have preferred jam
All in all this was a disappointing stay

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Helen F, General Manager at Charlemont Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2018

Dear Dawn

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I am a little surprised to hear that you did not enjoy either your breakfast or your coffee. If you had to wait on your coffee, you might not have noticed that the fresh coffee was on a self serve basis and the machine was situated beside where you would have had breakfast.

We use Pure Roast coffee which has won many awards for its taste and Fair Trade achievements.

We do offer Earl Grey tea and I will inquire as to why your husband could not obtain this. We are always happy to take any dish back and cook it for a little longer, should the guest request this.

I regret that you did not mention any of these issues when you had an opportunity.

Kind Regards

Helen.

Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at the Charlemont with a group of about 20 others last July. I have never been in a hotel before where you were treated like a guest in someone’s home, but that is the only way I can describe my experience here. The room was very large, the beds and pillows comfortable and despite not having air-conditioning, I never felt too hot, even being on the third floor. The food was amazing. I’m American and used to coffee and a muffin running out the door. The breakfast that is offered here is enough to keep you full all day and significantly lower in price than at chain hotels. The lunch and dinner are the same. The food is so fresh, locally sourced and they offer delicious vegetarian options. You are in the center of town and a quick walk to banks, shops, museums, monuments and a lovely shop that sells the work of local artists. Walk out the back door and you are at the bus station. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else. PS The staff and management can’ t be nicer.

Date of stay: July 2017