Beech Hill Country House Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
City Hotel(Derry)
View Hotel
All reviewsbill clintonduring wwiiwater wheelwalking trailsmaster suitehotel groundssecond world warwalled gardenantique furniturepublic roomslounge barsuperior roomhuge bedrelaxing breakwedding partynorthern irelandboth nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed in Beech Hill Country House for 1 night on the 29th October. I am surprised by some of the negative reviews as we enjoyed everything about our stay. We travel extensively and would certainly return to Beech Hill House. The Edwardian building is very beautiful as are the surrounding grounds. We were greeted in a friendly manner by the receptionist and the girl who took us to our bedroom was also friendly and helpful. We had booked a superior room and were delighted with our room (room 30). If you prefer modern hotels, this is not for you. We had a very large comfortable bed and the room was decorated with period furniture, exactly what I would expect from a Country House Hotel.

I am surprised at some previous comments regarding food and drink being expensive, we found the prices reasonable for a hotel - 2 gin and tonics £9, glass of wine £5.75. This is no more expensive than a city centre bar, hotels being much more expensive. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was very good. You can choose from a set menu or an a la carte. The set menu is less than £30 for 3 courses and tea/coffee. We thought this to be excellent value considering the quality of the food. I had haddock gratin to start and chicken bonne femme for my main course. My partner chose from the a la carte menu and had ham hock terrine to start and venison for his main course. We were very happy with all dishes. You can purchase a bottle of decent house wine for under £17 and of course there are more expensive wines available. The restaurant was quiet, only 4 tables being used when we ate. I found the restaurant lacked character compared to the rest of the hotel, however, I do think it would be lovely in the summer or for lunch as you are looking out to the beautiful grounds.

We had breakfast in our room the following morning and again were happy with the quality of the food.

All members of staff were friendly, reception, bar, restaurant and room service. We had a lovely time and look forward to returning to the Beech Hill in the future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This was my first ever visit to Derry and to my delight I had the opportunity to stay at Beech Hill. After the overnight flight from the US and the drive from Belfast I was pretty tired. No sooner than I stepped through the door when Patsy greeted be and said that I needed some tea and banana bread. That advice was spot on! The ambiance of the hotel provided much more value than the sterile evironment of a global hotel chain property. Then came the surprise of the restaurant. Nothing short of outstanding. I am now a confirmed fanatic when it comes to Irish soda bread. My company has a plant near by so I hope that I can find more reasons to visit them and saty at Beech Hill. Great hospitality Patsy!!!

Room Tip: The lower level wing. So quiet I could hear a pin drop.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We have eaten here a lot of times and have never been disappointed.The surroundings,inside and out are great,the service good and the food never fails to impress.Patsy and her staff are friendly and welcoming,nothing is too much trouble.We had an afternoon tea here for a family birthday and were treated like royalty! The grounds are ideal for a walk before/ after eating although the lovely lounge with a fire at each end may entice you to relax in a cosy armchair instead!Would recommend it to family and friends

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Beech Hill is a property full of character and history. The property was once used by the US Marines as a base during the War and the walls are adorned with the pictures of Amercian Presidents, politicians and other celebrities who have stayed here. The hotel is spotlessly clean, very tranquil and relaxing. There are large grounds attached to the property and is a beautiful place to wander. The hotel is even pet friendly and animals are treated like one of the guests. My wife and I had dinner in Beech Hill on both evenings during our stay and the food was excellent. The menu had a wide range of dishes from which to choose, sourced mainly from local produce. The staff are friendly and very hard working. John, who tends the bar in the very comfortable lounge, will keep your drink topped up!
We had breakfast in our room on both mornings and it arrived precisely when requested. There is a chioce of continental and cooked breakfast. We had the full Irish and was very tasty. Rooms are simple but have everything you need including tea and coffee making facilites. Just a few miles from the historic city of Derry this is an ideal base from which to explore the North West of Northern Ireland. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Don't leave the dog at home or in kennels - bring them with you to Beech Hill. There are rooms designated to accommodate pets.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed one night at this hotel on our latest outing in the emerald isle.

Reception and all staff friendly and rooms really clean. The shower in our room was so powerful. Great!

We ate at the restaurant and food was very good . Would recommend the early bird menu.

Only sour note was prices at the bar. £5.75 for a small glass of wine. Shocker.

Breakfast good and check out painless. Worth a visit.

• Stayed: October 2011