“An excellent meal with perfect service”

Beech Hill Country House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Derry
Western Ireland, Ireland
“An excellent meal with perfect service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

My fiancee and I will be holding our wedding reception in the Beech Hill in June and we have just spent a lovely evening tasting some of the different foods that will be served. We were greeted with a warm smile upon arrival and were pleasantly surprised to hear that all the staff were aware of our tasting. We enjoyed some canapés and drinks beside the fire before heading into the restaurant for our meal.
The mains of fillet beef and chicken with black pudding were absolutely divine and it's clear to see the quality of produce which is used in all their meals. We really enjoyed the whole evening and cannot wait until the wedding in June when our friends and family can enjoy the great food and service.

Highly recommend !

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

My husband and I stayed 2 nights as my Christmas present food and service incredible congratulations to all first class customer service will be back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maj085
Belfast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

i stayed here on the 16th december (last week) and could not belive how the hotel prides it self on awards and famous guests (especially american presidents) it seems they have given up on hospitality and arte scraping the bottom of an old old barrel as regards the lacklustre food and service ,keep away or at least complain and get a voucher off the owner seems to work for many according to the mostly asian staff

Room Tip: our room was large keep away from downstairs rooms as our friend had
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank honestmeals2011
Highlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

My partner and I stayed at The Beech Hill Hotel for two nights and had a wonderful time. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was fantastic and our room was enormous! Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Derry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

I organised a girly lunch for the family at the Beech Hill for Christmas lunch as a pre-Christmas treat. Overall there was nothing bad about the experience, but I was left feeling pretty underwhelmed - the table was nicely decorated, but there was no Christmas music to set the atmosphere. I have eaten at the Beech Hill before and I have been totally wowed, but sadly not this time. Food was good, but not great. Unfortunately I found a hair in my starter, which I did not bring to the attention of the staff because I didn't want to ruin dinner for anyone else at the table. Dessert was really good and the staff were very attentive and helpful.

I will be back to the Beech Hill at some point because I have had good experiences there, but I was very disappointed on this occasion.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I've just returned from another wonderful stay in Beech Hill Hotel.

The staff are very welcoming and friendly and go out of their way to help.

Patsy ( the owner) was her usual smiling self and has a friendly word for everyone.

The whole ambience of the hotel is relaxing and one has a great feeling of grandeur staying in such a secluded country estate with the lovely watermill and extensive grounds.

The hotel is only a few miles from the city of Derry but it's in such a peaceful setting.

The restaurant food is excellent and I simply love the beautifully decorated bar/lounge area with the two open fires ( one at each end)

It's a perfect place to sit at the end of a day and sip a glass of wine!

Our room was large and very spacious and extremely comfortable.

I'm already looking forward to my next trip already.

Room Tip: We had one of the garden rooms which are the newest and the largest.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa M
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

After checking out of the Beech Hill House Hotel, I asked my business colleague how he would describe his stay. After a few thoughtful moments he replied, "Quirky, a cross between a Guest House, a Hotel and a Museum!"
That may be slightly harsh but there are certainly some unusual features in this rather isolated property. Firstly, the front entrance to the hotel is covered by a large arched porch, presumably to allow you to unload near the door sheltered from the elements. Good idea, except that there were cars using the porch as a garage so you just unload in the open air in the rain!
Secondly, the bedroom key has a fob about ten times the size of the actual key. What's that all about?
Thirdly, our superior room was very large, clean and nicely furnished but lacked a trouser press (rather than an iron), a clock and had very small bath towels.
Staff were very friendly and helpful, the restaurant is good but overall this is not a hotel for patrons seeking a degree of luxury.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business