All reviewsguest kitchenlate arrivallovely decoroff street parkingexcellent accommodationstay there againhome away from hometwin roomvery pleasant stayfirst floorcouldn't do enoughfamily roomtea and coffeecomfortable bedsyogurtfirst classterry
Reviewed January 27, 2017 via mobile

I stayed for a couple of weeks and I had a great time. As I was staying for a longer period I made lots of use of the kitchen (which has plenty room in the fridge, a stove, a microwave and a table to eat at) and I could just do my own thing. The hosts are very helpful and kind, the house is spacious, it looks like a place from a fairytale and all that for a great price. Definitely recommended!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Ayerftraveler
ArkleHouse, Owner at Arkle House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2017

Thank you for your review. Your comments mean a lot to me.
Regards Sally

Reviewed December 18, 2016

We arrived late afternoon and didn't know exactly where it was. Terry was kind enough to pick us up and drive ahead of us so we could follow his lead.
On arrival we were asked if we wanted coffee or tea, were shown the room and offered a lift to the local line dancing club, which we gratefully accepted.
The house itself is a charming building from the early 1900s, well maintained and decorated with a lot of attention to detail.
Although we were the only guests, the selection for breakfast was fantastic.
The location is ideal, very close to the city of Derry but also close to the outbound roads.
We will certainly come back for a longer stay.

Thanks so much for everything, Sally and Terry

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank CarlowTours
Reviewed November 28, 2016 via mobile

Room was clean and tidy
Plenty of clean towls
Shower was lovely
Close to the city

We had an amazing time, thank you.
We stayed in the family room, 2 double beds and a single, plenty of room for a family.
Next time we'll bring the kids.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meander212457
Reviewed September 14, 2016

Ours was a late booking and fairly late arrival and perhaps we were unfortunate in there being no other room available other than the one allocated to us. We asked for, and were given, a twin room with facilities. However I have as yet in all my years stayed in a room of such a diminished size for two. The main bed room would have been fine as a single although even then the en suite would have been overly cramped. The minuscule wash basin, complete with loose hot tap and a trickle of hot water, would more have suited a dolls house.
The owner describes Arkle House in the original brochure as a "Gentleman's residence", that was built around 1900. They go on to say that the property has been "recently refurbished", with great care taken to maintain the original charm and ambiance (sic) of this lovely old building". Perhaps this "recent refurbishment" was some years ago as it does not seem to reflect the current state of the property that has evidence of 'fraying at the edges' in certain areas. e.g..the tap in our en suite, worn carpet in our room, paint work that needs refreshing, a curtain tie back hanging from wall in breakfast room. Overall he place seems a little tired.
Perhaps we were unfortunate but we could not connect to WiFi and the television would only receive Irish Republic stations.
Although my mattress was comfortable the pillows were ancient, long overdue for replacement and from a hygiene aspect I wondered why pillow protectors were not used. Although the duvet cover seemed clean enough the duvet itself had some stains.
The breakfast served was acceptable for this level of establishment.
I would consider staying here again although if doing so I would ask for a different room.

Room Tip: Try to check the room out before just accepting the room allocated to you.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2016 via mobile

This is a genuinely warm and welcoming place to stay, which is spacious and ideally situated. We have stayed at Arkle House twice and have felt completely at home on both occasions. The rooms are always spotlessly clean and the selection for breakfast is fantastic. This B & B comes highly recommended due to its outstanding value and Irish Charm.

Thanks again Sally and Terry, we'll be back again soon.

Gary and Orlaith