All reviews julie and mike one night hand held shower roll top bath potato cakes private bathroom b bs breakfast was delicious beautiful house comfortable stay warm welcome guest house exploring oban yogurt beautiful room location was perfect smoked haddock
Reviewed October 4, 2017

Heatherfield House is in a very convenient location - it's just a couple of minutes walking downhill to be in the centre of Oban.

The house has been lovingly decorated. The single room that I stayed in was delightful.

The hosts are very anxious to please and a fantastic breakfast is provided.

If you're looking for somewhere to stay in Oban I highly recommend booking this house.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2017 via mobile

Heatherfield House is a lovely guest house, right in the heart of Oban. The room I stayed in was spotless and well appointed, with a huge attention to detail. The views over the harbour are a delight on a clear day. Breakfast was excellent, cooked fresh every morning, exactly as you like it. The owners Julie and Mike are lovely, thoughtful people. Nothing was too much trouble during my stay, and they really took the time to ensure everything was just right for me.
Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed September 10, 2017

Had a fantastic time at the Heather field, the room was very clean and well appointed. As a solo traveller I had the single room (number 4) that a separate private bathroom just along the hallway, this also being well appointed and very clean.
The host, Mike was very accomodating and explained everything I needed to know in great detail. The room actualy had a harbour view this being an added bonus.

To ensure you are not kept waiting at breakfast there are start times allocated that worked very well. The food on offer was excellent with a great selection of cereals, porridge, fruit and not forgetting cooked hot options. very good value for money and a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Room 4 for solo guests is very good
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
HeatherfieldHouse, Owner at Heatherfield House, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2017

Very kind of you to be so positive and to take the time to thank us so publicly. Thank you from Julie and Mike

Reviewed September 2, 2017

Shall I start with the good things?

LOCATION - This B&B is perfect for exploring Oban, simply because it's minutes away from the distillery and is very easy to find. Plus, the parking on site is an added bonus.

BREAKFAST - Although not spectacular by any means, the included breakfast was a great way to start the day. I appreciate that they schedule their guests in 15 minute intervals to ensure a smooth breakfast service that allows everyone a reasonable wait time for their food.

ROOMS - The rooms themselves are immaculately clean with added amenities like television, tea and towels. The bed was very comfortable, and you can tell that they have splurged on high-quality sheets - which, to me, makes all the difference. There are three locked entrances to go through before you get into your room, so there is never an issue of safety if you are concerned about leaving your valuables there while you explore Oban.

Now, on to the bad, which has truly ruined my impression of B&B's in general.

CHECK-IN - After I had booked our night at Heatherfield House, I received an email requesting us to confirm our check-in time, with the option of 2:00-2:30, or 5:00-7:00 on Mondays. In my reply, I explained that we are from out of the country and would be driving from a campsite, so would try our best to get there for 2:00, as we were anxious to take a shower and relax. This was confirmed by the hosts, and we planned our day accordingly. When we arrived in Oban around noon, I was lucky enough to find free wifi and found an email sent by Julie earlier that day, explaining that they could no longer take us at 2:00 due to a "last minute appointment". My issue is this: what if I was not lucky enough to connect to wifi and did not receive this email in time? ESPECIALLY since I highlighted our lack of cellular access when I had confirmed my check-in time weeks in advance... We could have easily ended up wasting our entire day due to poor communication from our hosts. Anyways, although disappointed (since this hindered our plans for our only day in Oban), we were understanding. After trying our best to kill that extra time, we were so tired that we ended up napping in the car until the hosts arrived at 5:00. When they did arrive, they were dressed in karate uniforms - which I would hardly call a "last minute appointment". This, above all else, gave the impression that running a successful B&B and greeting their guests in a professional manner was in no way their first priority. Instead of apologizing or showing any sort of sincerity, they were most concerned with a third person that was in our car... which brings me to the second issue I had - Mike's rude and condescending attitude towards us.

Let me start by explaining the situation: My husband and I were on a long-overdue honeymoon, and a friend who has lived in the UK for the past year - whom we have not seen - was invited to join us for the Scotland-portion of our trip. It was a last minute decision on our friend's part, but he decided to join us knowing full-well we had already booked some accommodations for the two of us. We opted for a higher-end vehicle for the sole purpose of him being able to sleep in the car on the nights we had previously-arranged accommodations. No big deal.

So, when the family arrived, instead of apologizing for the delay or explaining their absence, Mike abruptly said "I'm concerned about the third person", and we explained what I have said above. He offered to provide breakfast to our friend for a small charge (7 pounds), and we left it at that. My husband and I checked into our room and left with our friend to visit the distillery and have some dinner. Since everything closes quite early in Oban, we returned to Heatherfield House around 10:00pm and wide awake. We decided to go upstairs and watch some TV, since we had not had that luxury from days of camping and it was still early, as far as we were concerned. Within one minute of closing our door, Mike was pounding on it, and immediately accused us of trying to sneak our friend into our room for the night. Again, we stressed that he was planning on sleeping in the car, but Mike was insistent that we were trying to cheat the rules. He accused us of "sneaking up the stairs" when, in fact, our friend spent at least 5 minutes in the lobby looking through their guestbook - hardly sneaking. It got to the point when I had to open our door wide enough for him to see our friend, still in his jacket, sitting in a chair facing the tv. This was literally a five minute attack on his part, with no real apology before he walked away. I guess he missed the part of our confirmation email that said we were actually ON OUR HONEYMOON, so I'm not exactly sure what he was so concerned of, when I obviously didn't want our friend sleeping on the floor of our room.
The next morning, we got our friend from the car (which, surprise, he slept in) and we all had breakfast together - no apology from Mike, no acknowledgement, nothing. After that experience, we wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible, as he had made us feel incredibly unwelcome even though we paid the same amount of money as all the other guests. I don't know if it's because we are younger than their usual clientele, or they are just unwelcoming people, but I am still shocked at how rudely we were treated. We are in no way interested in trying to cheat the rules of room capacity or anything like that, but we were never even given the benefit of the doubt.

So, if you end up staying here, you will definitely have a good sleep, but avoid the hosts at all costs.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
HeatherfieldHouse, Owner at Heatherfield House, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2017

Where does one start to respond to such a distorted, disingenuous and partial account? It is a shame that your stay was spoilt but you do need to think carefully about how your behaviour contributed to your dilemna. There are outright inaccuracies that need to be briefly corrected: no mention of honeymoon NOR a third person sleeping in the car was given at any time prior to or during the stay. When we arrived at the house we had been teaching at the local school 3.15 - 4.45pm that afternoon, but that had nothing to do with the 1pm appointment we had to attend earlier which caused the initial delay to check in. We did apologies and you said "I understand , it's no big deal". We have a clearly stated policy of no additional visitors after 10pm, so your friend's speedy run upstairs at 10.15pm with his hood up made us suspicious of motives. It would have been polite to ask if he could come in and use the facilities before assuming anything. Combined with the strong smell of alcohol and some smoked substance it is surely clear why we were concerned? Mike knocked loudly because the TV in your room was so loud and your reluctance open the door more than 2 inches until pressed to do so simply compounded the sense that we were not meant to see your friend. After your departure the bathroom was so dirty we spent over an hour cleaning up the mess clearly made by of 3 people. We do not enjoy these kinds of experiences and the overwhelming majority of our guests give us no cause for concern. Sadly your approach to us was not honest and helped to create tension and a best forgotten experience. Other Guest House owners beware!

Reviewed September 2, 2017 via mobile

A comfortable stay in a nice traditional guest house close to the town. Good room shower bed - what else do you need? A fabulous and tasty breakfast. Highly recommend it as a base to explore the lovely Oban.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you we do appreciate the time taken to share your experiences.

Best wishes