All reviews bistro restaurant traditional hotel business trip jacuzzi bath good size town centre night porter lovely hotel room was spacious stayed here for two nights enjoyable stay evening meal a great nights sleep couple of nights warm welcome scottish breakfast full scottish
Reviewed July 16, 2018

We booked here to stay in June. I use an Assistance Dog and when the lady at reception saw that I had my Assistance Dog she said "No Dogs Allowed" My dog was clearly identified wearing his vest and I had our identification card on me. I explained that he was an Assistance Dog but she said I don't care no dogs are allowed. I have never ever in all my travels been treated so rudely and felt so devalued as a person as this lady made me feel. She kept on saying no dogs allowed up until I handed her a brochure on Assistance Dogs & The 2010 UK Equality Act that clearly states I was being discriminated against if I was not treated the same as a person without a disability. After reading the brochure she begrudgingly let us stay but not before telling me I should have let her know when we booked. As I do not need any extra services e.g. Disability Room I'm under no obligation to let them know upon booking as I have the right to be treated the same as any member of the public. We had just been married at Gretna Green that morning so it was absolutely awful to be devalued and treated so rudely on my wedding day. It would have been okay if this lady genuinely did not know the rights of Assistance Dogs but to treat us as she did is inexcusable not to mention in very poor form as a Best Western Hotel.

Stayed: June 2018
Aileen_McGhie, Owner at Best Western Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2018

I'm sorry you felt discriminated against. I did not see that it was an Assistant Dog and we do not normally allow dogs in the hotel. As I explained to you at the time, whether you have an obligation to do so or not, it would be helpful and polite to advise a hotel with a "No Pets" policy in advance, or perhaps you could just have started off with " Hello. I have brought my Assistance Dog" and showed me your card since you say you had it on you. This is what most other people do in the same circumstances.

Reviewed July 14, 2018

I organised a golf trip for three friends and myself in June 2018. I booked 4 rooms b&b. A few weeks prior to arrival I phoned the hotel and spoke to the owner/manager Aline (sp) and checked that they served a non-alcoholic beer in the bar for one of our party. Not only did she confirm that they did she also asked what was the preferred beer and said she would get some in, which she did. A nice touch and very typical of the kind of service you can expect from the hotel. Very comfortable rooms ( 3 out of 4 had been recently refurbished) and the food was excellent. Good position for the town centre, road network and obviously the railway station.
Thank you for a most enjoyable stay, I’m sure you’ll get the votefor a return trip next year!

Room Tip: Request a refurbished room if available
Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to give us this great review. Hope to see you next year. Best wishes in the mean time.

Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for a business trip, the staff were very friendly & helpful. Quick check in & off to my room I go. The room was dated but was a good size & has everything you need really. The bathroom was a bit disappointing , the tiredness I can cope with but it really does need a good clean! Really dusty, shower seal mouldy & hanging off. In a nutshell the rooms are older & basic.

I had my evening meal here &
It was really good, food cooked to perfection & service was fantastic!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business

Hello. You are right to be disappointed by lack of cleanliness. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed June 20, 2018 via mobile

We entered the establishment for food after taking part in a tough mudder event on the outskirts of town and where met by an elderly lady who was very rude towards me and my friend. We had come in and spoke to her about parking we paid £5 to her because we thought we would be going elts where but instead decided to stay so I came back to the front desk and spoke to her about getting are money back because it stayed on the sign that if we were to use hotel facilities, parking was free. When I told her this she looked me up and down, huffed and wondered off to get the card machine. When I told her we had in fact paid in cash she replayed with “oh ye. The other boy gave me £5, go and get him and I will give him his money back. I then told her we were intact together so it would be ok to give the money to me due to us coming from an event and we’re very tired so my friend wanted to sit down. She then replayed with “he was just here so he can’t be that bad. so go get the other boy because I am not giving you his money! In a vile tone. Just before I went to go get my friend, I asked if she needed the parking permit back or if it still needed to go on my dashboard To which she snapped and said I will have that you don’t need it. I gave it to her and walked away. My friend comes back to me after she giving him the money and also says that she was very rude to him also. About five minutes pass and it comes to us ordering are meal. I head up to the bar place my order and wait for the very polite bar staff to put my order through then she appeared from the front desk through to the bar and with out any hushing of the voice she openly say MAKE SURE YOU GET THE MONEY FROM THEM BEFORE THEY GET THERE FOOD! As if we was going to eat and not pay. We found this very inappropriate and embarrassing because the room wasn’t completely empty of costumers and she had said it very loudly. I feel me and my friend were nothing but polite if not overly polite and do not think we deserved the service we got from non other but the owner of the establishment. The other staff were lovely and kind and had all the time in the world actually having a laugh and a joke with them but she was very rude and very unprofessional and unwelcoming. We did not want to be treated this way after a 40 minuet drive from are event we just wanted a nice meal and to relax. After are meal we actually went somewhere else to get a coffee because we didn’t exactly want to spend any more money in her establishment and if she keeps greeting her customers in the same manner the. She won’t have any customers left. thought It would of occurred to her that being polite is paramount when you are the first face people see on reception. Pity that the food was actually really nice and so to were the staff, all ruined by one miserable woman! BYPASS THIS BEST WESTERN BECUSE IT IS THE WORST WESTERN IVE EVER BEEN TO!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
6  Thank anorton221995

Thank you for your comments: "Pity that the food was actually really nice and so to were the staff"

Reviewed June 20, 2018

arrived by rail perfect for this hotel,bus stop nearby too! Nice and quiet ,clean .Stayed in room 12,had a bottle of wine no.12 on wine list (very good),sat at table 12!! in restaurant. we had a superb meal,my wife had the Haggis whilst I had the fillet steak.Good bar,the room had everything we needed job well done thanks!!

Room Tip: room 12 slept with window open,no noise despite overlooking station and bus stops!!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple