“Wedding weekend”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Dumfries
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Wedding weekend”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We've just returned from a wonderful weekend wedding at Hetland Hall. We also had read a number of reviews for the hotel; some good and some not so good.
On a positive note the Hall is set in beautiful grounds, the staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble.The food, though not outstanding, was certainly good value for money, and the wedding breakfast was very nice indeed. The public areas are in need of redecoration in places, but are still charming and have a gentle feel of grandeour to them.
The only real negative was the bedroom. We were in the 'new wing' of the building and the room was in need of updating. The bed (though very comfortable) was missing a head board and the wall paper behind was ripped in places.There were cobwebs on the windows and our room unfortunately had large pipes running all round the edge, both at floor and ceilling level which were covered in dust and cobwebs.The shower room was small but adequate, although on one occasion there was no hot water. On a positive note, it was a nice quiet room at the rear of the hotel overlooking some amazing countryside
Overall, the main hotel, food and the staff were lovely, but the bedroom itself was overpriced and dissapointingly shabby, however we would reccomend it for Weddings/occasions as we had a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the remodelled bedrooms in the main house.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
glasgow
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at Hetland Hall from Thursday 24th May 2012 until Saturday 26th 2012 for our Wedding. The grounds and Hotel are stunning, which we got to enjoy because of the fabulous weather. The thing that made such a huge difference from Hetland that you wouldn't get at a 5 star Hilton etc is the friendliness of the staff, they are so helpful and nothing was a problem. Jan the owner brought my breakfast to my room herself on my wedding morning & gave me a good luck cuddle. The staff lined up at the bottom of the stairs as I went to the car that was taking me to the Church. Ourselves and our guests were made to feel like Royalty and we really couldn't ask for more. I totally recommend a visit to Hetland for a Wedding or even just a mini break in a beautiful location. Furthermore the food is excellent. Would love to go back for a visit soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 17 which is a Bridal suite. Very large and spacious room with a lovely new bathroo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank evilwinst
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I visited (and stayed) here in May 2012 for a friends wedding. The location was a great choice.

Nice rooms, lovely scenery, all but one member of staff very helpful (the wee curly haired dumpy one not so) But, only to willing to assist in booking taxis, ajustments to bookings etc.

Worth a visit if your in this rather remote area of scotland.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JamzyW
uk
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Stayed for 3 nights for a friends wedding in gretna green. Hotel was clean. Staff were very helpful. Only moan would be that its miles from anywhere. Nice pub just down the road. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank destroya777
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2012

we stayed at this hotel the night before a nearby wedding and saw some of the reviews which made us a little apprehensive, however we had a very pleasant surprise,
We booked a family room and it was huge with plenty of room for us all to get changed in the following morning with unlimited hot water from a very efficent shower with no mould in sight in fact everywhere was very clean, yes the decor was a little dated but this was reflected in the room price which was extremely reasonable. (as was the bar bill) the big plus in this hotel was the staff ,nothing was too much trouble and they were very cheerful despite a wedding being held the next day so they were very busy, also the breakfast (included in the price) was delicious cooked to order even my fussy kids licked the plate clean.
only point to consider is that the family room was opposite the bar. this was fine for us as our kids are older and there was no noise after 12 which is when we went to bed but you could hear talking if you did not have the tv on ( younger children may have been disturbed), all in all a very pleasant experience at a good price and we would use the hotel again. in fact the hotel where the wedding was could take a few tips about organisation from this one!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sophki
Jan A, Owner at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thank you for your review and your comments about the staff; the review has been passed on and is very much appreciated.
Should you stay with us again, we actually do have family rooms on the second floor well away from the bar.
And your comments about our organisation as opposed to that of the hotel were you attended the wedding have been noted – hopefully if you are in the area for a wedding again it will take place at Hetland Hall!
South Wales
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Reading other reviews I wonder if we stayed at the same place. I'm not afraid to give negative reviews (see my other postings) but I'm happy to give an excellent rating to this review. From the moment of our arrival, after a long trip from south Wales we were made to feel very welcome. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble and they coped with the needs of our party (one wheelchair user and another very elderly guest) with great care and solicitude. The location is glorious - easy to find near a main road but the road doesn't affect the calm and tranquility of the setting. The location is splendid, in lovely countryside with views across the Solway Firth to the Lake District. The hotel is full of character and not over- restored in the tasteless way of a lot of country hotels. Yes, it does have a more modern annex but it's not really a problem as if you have a room there, the ones I saw seemed nice. We had a room in the old building and it was lovely. We were very impressed with the entrance hall with its grand staircase. On the day of (my son's) wedding, they lit the log fire which certainly added to the atmosphere. It wasn't particularly cold (except for the guests in kilts?!) so it was a nice homely touch. The wedding breakfast was managed very well and the staff remained smiling throughout. The food was lovely and we would recommend the Beef (Belties) which was tender and very tasty. We Welsh are used to high standards in meat and would compare it with our Welsh Black Beef - we were impressed. The food was served promptly and the staff were very friendly. We also had a ceilidh where although we weren't as skilled as the Scottish guests, we demonstrated our enthusiasm and gusto. It was a wonderful evening and it ended in the bar - very , very late for some. Once again, the staff were friendly and there were no complaints from anyone, though we were well behaved and didn't bother any other guests with excessive noise or inappropriate behaviour. The whole event went very well and I'm very glad that this hotel was chosen as the venue for such an important family occasion. Thank you very much, Hetland Hall, I'm sure we'll be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 16 - it was very nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank galloceltique
Jan A, Owner at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thank you for your lovely review and your kind words about our location our food and our staff, it really is very much appreciated, and we hope you will be able to pay us a return visit.
PS Scotsmen in kilts feeling the cold…..never!
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Were shall I start, I booked the venue 12 months ago and from the start we had numerous problems, living well away from the Hotel we were unable to view it before paying deposits etc. On our first visit our first impressions were that the main public rooms were reasonably well maintained and nicely decorated. Once you open a bedroom door the story begins to go sour.

Anyway during the 12 months the wedding planner/manager changed 3 times so we were constantly having to repeat our requests, although credit to Marion (who has just left or is leaving) she did her best with the resources available.

On arrival we were greeted by the new grumpy wedding planner/manager who was not helpful at all and always seemed to have an attitude, she wouldn't let us view our guests rooms and had in fact moved them all to different rooms even though we had allocated each guest a specific room only the week before (having seen how awful some of them were). Anyway next morning before most of our guests arrived we finally managed to get access to the rooms and move our guests back around to the correct rooms, thanks to a helpful room maid.

The wedding day itself went reasonably well, the wedding breakfast was average and the beef very very tough, vegetables resembled the dried out microwaved variety. The starters and puddings were fairly good though. On the night of the wedding we noticed several other guests in the hotel (even though we were meant to have exclusive use). On numerous occasions the bar was left unattended for long periods of time (20minutes or so) and this was early on in the evening 8-10pm. Anyway at 10pm I was told by a member of staff that the music had to be turned down as their was other guests in the hotel. After politely explaining the exclusive use and the fact that I had turned a blind eye that other guests were using/staying at the hotel the person in question went and found what appeared to be the only other member of staff the night receptionist, who also ranted about us disturbing the other guests and the noise. Anyway after asking if anyone had complained and where they were staying (no guests had complained and the other non- wedding guests were actually staying in the awful 1960's wing of the building and couldn't hear the music anyway) so when I asked what the problem was, I was told their wasn't any (I can only guess the staff on duty wanted a quite night).. anyway after that we didnt hear another thing on the matter.

Honey moon suite is nicely decorated but the bed is awful, if you breathed the bed would creek and the mattress resembled something from the 2nd world war, the bed is clearly in need of replacement and on closer inspection is being held together with some additional screws that stick out all over the place. and some patch work wood underneath holding it together.

The Spa bath is still broken even though we were told throughout the past 12 months that the parts are on order (why not just tell the truth, you have no intention of fixing it) The bath rail is hanging off the wall too. And as per the other visits numerous bulbs were not working and no new bulbs of the correct size were available. Oh and the fire made some worrying noises so was switched of straight away.

On a positive the young girl on reception was very helpful and always greeted us with a smile and always did her best to try and resolve any problems for us. Thankyou!

In all we had a good wedding but it was more down to what we made it rather than anything the hotel did. If your looking for a place to have a wedding or reception look else where. Which is a shame as with a little investment and some general TLC this place could be a great place to have a wedding. I should point out that no manager or owner was available to discuss my issues when trying to check out, and I'll be surprised if they respond to this review.

Room Tip: Find another hotel, if you have to stay their stay in an executive room or room 24.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank BrilloBoy
Jan A, Owner at Hetland Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Can I firstly say that I am glad you managed to have a good wedding, but also that I am very sorry that in this instance we did not meet up to your expectations. I also thank you for your positive comments.
You are correct in stating that the manager has changed; the company that you booked your wedding at Hetland with went into administration, and we, the original owners, are now back in full control with the intention of returning Hetland Hall to its former glory. ( The deposit you paid went to the previous company Carabee Ltd – this, along with all other deposits is being honoured ).
I am not sure why you thought you had ‘exclusive use’. Whilst this is available at Hetland Hall -and with 30 rooms is a very popular option - your party numbered 28 and you had 13 rooms; exclusive use ( in any hotel) means taking over all the hotel rooms. There was nothing on your booking form about exclusive use.
I am sorry you were unable to get immediate access to your guest rooms but I am afraid this was not possible on your early mid morning arrival when other guests were still in those rooms.
Regarding the noise complaints, we were not aware that you would be installing your own disco in the hotel lounge. Should we have known we would happily have made suitable arrangements; we fully understand a function can be noisy and lively – we just need to know it is happening!
Finally I am sorry that you were not informed that the ‘spa’ element of the bath had been disabled and would remain so, I agree that we were at fault here, and I apologise.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dumfries
11.0 km away
12.2 km away
Best Western Station Hotel
9.4 km away
Premier Inn Dumfries Hotel

Been to Hetland Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!