All reviews table table solway gate meal deal restaurant next door adjoining restaurant budget hotel no lift building work large tv good nights sleep clean rooms night's sleep overnight stop excellent stay reception staff good size on arrival
Reviewed May 17, 2017

Having never been to the area, we booked a couple of nights in the Premier Inn as a base to do some exploring over a weekend. The location is convenient, as one approaches Dumfries from the East, making it easy to venture into town, or take the ring road round it to visit Castle Douglas or the Galloway Forrest Park.
The hotel is still being extended, but the building work did not disturb us and we enjoyed a couple of good nights' sleep, although the room was quite warm.
The breakfast was great value at the pub next door, where the children ate for free.
We really enjoyed a visit to Caerlaverock Castle, which is great for the children to run round and play hide and seek - but choose a sunny day, as there is no real shelter apart from the wee tea rooms/gift shop. Take a kite on a windy day to fly next to the kids playground or go for a walk down to the nature reserve. We did not manage to get to the beach though.

Room Tip: Upstairs is quieter, as you do not hear any footsteps from above.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank WeeSteeMcG
Reviewed May 14, 2017

I am a fan of Premier Inn and I stay here when I can. the problem I find with Premier Inn, is that if you are booking more than one night, you tend to find that for no apparent reason, you get stung on the cost of the second night.

When I stayed last November, it coat me £59 for two rooms for one night. This time, for two rooms it was £116.00. We declined staying a second night and found a very good B & B in town, which cost £104 for two rooms but it was cheaper than staying a second night in Premier Inn.

I have since found a place I can rent outside of Dumfries for just £40.00 a night for the whole house!! :-)

Premier Inn Breakfast are always a good start to the day and ours was no exception. We did eat in the Table Table restaurant the evening of arrival and it was fine, but what "grinds my gears" is that when you want to pay by Credit Card, the company has geared up the card reader to give the customer the option of leaving a Tip!......you have to press Red for NO or Green for YES. This is obviously designed to make the customer feel awkward and embarrassed, so as thus engineered, most of the time, the customer is going to press the green button and have a percentage added to the bill. I am not really sure if the waitress gets it all or not, but I flatly refuse to be coerced into tipping. I would happily tip otherwise if I felt the service was good, but when confronted with the card reader scenario, I don't tip at all.

If Premier Inn paid their staff more money, then this feature could be taken off the card reader and make the dining experience pleasant for the diner instead of being made to feel awkward at the time of settling the bill. The premier Inn at Discovery Quay, Dundee has this same system of red and green buttons on their card readers and as a result, I no longer go there.

Room Tip: second floor - less chance of hearing footsteps
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Mark F
Reviewed May 9, 2017

Highly,recommended. Handy for travel to and from Cairnryan docks as just off A75. Premier Inn being refurbished but no inconvenience caused to patrons staying
Perfect nights sleep too. Just didnt have time to have breakfast due to schedule. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com
1  Thank Margaret S
Reviewed May 8, 2017

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com
WhitbreadHotels, Premier Inn Team at Premier Inn Dumfries Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2017

Reviewed May 6, 2017 via mobile

Had an amazing stay at this hotel. This is probably the best premier inn we have been to due to friendly reception staff (as we left an item in the room and they were happy to hold onto it for us until we arrived back to the hotel on our way home the next week), the cleaners and the staff in the table table restaurant, nothing was too much trouble for them. A brilliant team. Our evening meals were great and so was breakfast. Our rooms were immaculate and very cool as they usually hot at night but not on the ground floor so it's best to stay there if you like a cool room. We had family rooms 19 and 21 at the end of the corridor very quiet and no problems with people banging about whilst they walk. Thank you premier inn for a great stay!!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family