“Awful”

Add it.
Anvil Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 13 Restaurants in Gretna Green
Reviewed 9 April 2015

Poor quality food and drinks at an extortionate price. Dry chewy venison, the chicken looked anemic and the haggis it was stuffed in was dry and cheap tasting. Staff off handish and snooty. The resturant smelled damp and the wedding function next door was separated with a flimsy door so we heard the du pumping away throughout out dinner.
Not good

1  Thank Nichola C

Reviewed 15 March 2015

We have went here every year for last 6 years on Mother's Day, and decided to go there today- big mistake!
The carvery had finished, but they said we could just have food as In a bar meal, so we said ok. There was 7 of us, but they made no effort to accomadate us with a large table, so we ended up sitting on 2 separate tables. We ordered the food at the bar, then the young girl brought them out and it looked like measly small portions of microwaved food ( we all ordered Turkey roast dinner ). The portions were terrible! Then when my wife's came out, the girl put it in front of her and my wife picked a hair out of the food and stated this was not hers- the girl seen this, but said nothing and just walked away. At no point after this did anyone come and ask if things were ok or if we wanted anything else. In the end, we were about to leave when a girl came over and said were the plates finished but again did not ask if everything was ok ( I think they knew by our comments and actions though that we weren't happy ).

This has never been an issue for us in the past, but this was very poor service and quality of food for somewhere we have previously associated with good service and food. It was a waste of £70- We won't be back.

1  Thank John2577
Reviewed 26 October 2014 via mobile

- Staff were horrible not caring or organised.
- Reception weren't helpful.
- Rooms were vile to say the least not clean at all.
- Food was average and very overly priced.
- Well over booked, very packed.
- The bedroom was not comfy and squashed.
- Only brilliant thing this hotel has is Laura the wedding planner.
- WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO STAY AT THIS HOTEL!! APPARELLING!!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Whilst staying in nearby Ecclefechan, we popped into the restaurant, as I had stayed at the hotel several years ago.
All I can say is that the prices have gone up and the standard of food had gone down. The food was nice, but if we had not been using my girlfriend's "2 for 1 Tastecard", it would have been a very expensive meal for a "chicken burger meal"!!
Would not recommend going there.

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Arrived on the 31st may 2013 we had pre booked a table, the decor was ok, the menu looked ok however that's were it all ended, I ordered the t bone steak and at £24 was not cheap! When it arrived it looked very limp and dry with a few paltry frozen chips and boiled to the death veg! My wife's roast pork looked like it had been microwaved to death, the potatoes were hard and smelt funny, however after I complained my wife got another meal which was slightly better, the staff were nice throughout and gave me a slight discount on the bill, my thoughts are they are charging 3 rosette restaurant prices but serving greasy spoon cafe food!!