All reviewsthe cottagesbiscuitsthe pubfresh milk in the fridgefish teacoffee tablekitchen areasmall fridgeimperial leatherfresh flowersbottled watercustard creamdressing gownsexcellent value for moneyexcellent roomhuge roompeas
Reviewed October 22, 2015

My wife and I stopped for fish and chips on a Monday afternoon. The service was fast and friendly. Overall the food was good. The chips were excellent and the fish cooked to perfection. There was one small issue and that there were bones in my fish. Only a small number (that I found anyway) but once a bone is found one is continuously looking for more. I probably just got an unfortunate piece of fish as my wife didn't find any bones in hers.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2015

We were taken to our room by a very helpful and welcoming young man. What a surprise when he opened the door!!! The rooms are gorgeous, almost a suite, big comfortable sitting area, kitchenette, separate bedroom with modern and spotlessly clean en suite shower room, big shower, well over average hotel size. The food was great too, traditional Scottish fare nicely cooked and served by attentive friendly staff. This is probably one of the nicest hotel/b&bs we have stayed in recently. We would highly recommend a stay here and will be back to Moffat soon.

Room Tip: Quieter at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2015 via mobile

My partner & I decided to pop in for a meal after recommendation.. Lovely place inside, very very cosy with the fire! We sat up the top next to it.. Lush!!!!! I opted for the prawns & scampi.. My partner had soup and a gammon which was standard 'pub grub' but tasty.. Bathroom was stunning! Atmosphere was good.. Only thing was a blonde member of staff who we felt like couldn't really be bothered to be there.. her mobile was taking her attention.. probably would return when we next pop up that way..

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2015

Lovely friendly hotel with helpful efficient staff, rooms are outstanding value for money some with separate kitchen and lounge areas. Food in the pub restaurant friendly and freshly prepared, always busy with a nice atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2015

This is a bizarre experience and review, as we never made it into the Balmoral, although we had booked in. We arrived in Moffatt in first week of September.

We had specific reasons for our choice. Firstly Moffatt looks like a lovely town and The Balmoral is right on the main street. It would break a lengthy journey for us. My partner is disabled with a severe chest condition and unable to walk far or do stairs much, so we needed easy access, easy parking and also to be in centre of town, as we would need to eat out that evening and we needed room to move around plus good en suite facilities..

What occurred was that I booked The Balmoral for our proposed date through Late Rooms. In reply to my request re accessibility the hotel emailed and said that the room that they had booked us into was in their cottage and had stairs to the upstairs bedroom and they did not know if it would be suitable for my partner. As we did not want to mess around further I said that my partner would manage it for 1 night and emailed them back straight away to say that. This was a couple of weeks before the stay. In the end that was our decision.

I had no response at all to my email so assumed that all was OK. . A few days before we were due to travel I decided to ring them (from Ireland where I was staying) just to make sure. The manageress apologised and said that we were not booked in with them. I pointed out that I had emailed and they had not responded to say that there was no booking. I asked when was it that they were going to tell us this? When we turned up on the day perhaps? How was this enabling us to plan our journey? She said that she had been meaning to email to let us know, but had not got around to it.She said that there was a vintage rally on the day we were due and a group had booked in for that night and they had given 1 of them our cottage! I pointed out that I had emailed to say that we would take it. She said that she would arrange an alternative for us and ring back, which she did, so we accepted this as we did not have much choice by then. She told us to come to the Balmoral when we arrived in town and she would direct us to the alternative. I continued to see vacancies at the Balmoral advertised on sites on my phone for some time after our original booking, despite it being allegedly full up.

We went to the manageress when we got to Moffat, as requested. She then told me a different version i.e. that a member of staff had double booked the room, but had left now. Nothing further re vintage rally and there was no sign of that in town. To be fair to her she gave £75 for the Guest house payment so it did not cost us. The Guest house was good and had lovely owners, but the room and washing facilities were cramped for our needs. We were unable to use the shower for that reason also. That is the reason that we have to book hotels and central accommodation now due to disability needs. Also because of mobility issues we had to book a taxi both ways to go out and eat and have a bottle of wine with the meal. However, though the owners at the alternative accommodation were lovely people and the breakfast was very good, it was not what we needed as compared to a hotel -type room.

I was told by the guest house that this was not the first time this had occurred and they had had several other guests from this hotel. In fact there were also 2 flights of stairs to our room and they had not been informed of my partner's needs re his disability, otherwise they might have been able to give us a downstairs room. This made nonsense of the hotel deciding on our behalf that we could not stay in their cottage due to stairs.The Balmoral had also told the owners that we were staying there for sheepdog trials so we had a very interesting cross-purposes conversation !! Yet another bizarre story.

The whole arrangement was very unsatisfactory and caused more work and stress on our break in trying to make further arrangements to sort it out plus more cost re phone calls and taxis.

Obviously Late Rooms did not know that we had not been able to stay as they sent a message asking for feedback on our stay! I tried to feedback to Late Rooms about the experience, as we had booked through them and they had requested this. I have only had a generic acknowledgement and no further contact in the past 2 weeks.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple