“Was it me?”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've been to Bar Roma many times over the years, especially during the 1980's. My recent visit fell short of what I remember. I judge a restaurant on how satisfied I feel after three courses and unfortunately...I left feeling hungry.
The food was great & tasty, but small touches like serving accompanying bread were missing...especially with dishes which are served with such damn good sauce!! To me the portion size also seemed a little small. As ususal though, the waiting staff of Bar Roma were quality...friendly, fast and attentive.
Maybe I'm just getting old and greedy, but I was disappointed to have felt so unsatisfied after paying a good price. Still, this restaurant is well worth a visit folks...all year round.

BebeCugini, Owner at Bar Roma, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Sorry you didn't feel full after your three course meal. Haven't had that complaint before.
Glad though that you enjoyed what you had to eat, and thank you for recommending us
to others in your review. Best regards.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Recently visited this restaurant with my Gran and her friends who took a trip into Edinburgh. There was around 16 of us who sat down to eat at 6pm. Service was quite slow this was partly as a couple of us were ten minutes late it took till about after 7pm for the 3 or 4 starters to arrive then a while after the mains arrived for everyone. Now the food looked good and smelled nice too but as I got about half way through the fish cake I felt something sharp go down my throat. I had a look at my plate and hanging out my fish cake was a bone the circumference of a penny. I could not eat anymore. Now I don't particularly like complaining but my Grans friends pushed me to I was completely put off so when the manager came over I didn't want a new plate but they said I should order chips so I did. When I had mentioned the bone to the manager he did not apologise but got quite defensive about it being fish and obviously there could be bones in it. I did not want to argue but the size of bone was simply unnacceptable to find in my dinner. Small bones sure that could happen but that was abut ridiculous.

I did get the chips and salad as everyone was finishing there meal. Nibbled at a few of the chips they were excellent. The dessert I had was cheesecake nice but not for me sponge in cheesecake was not what I had expected.

I'd just like to note everyone else seemed to enjoy there meal. But they mentioned the service could have been better. Ie quicker to serve and quicker to clear the plates.
For me though its a real shame about my dinner really disappointed.

BebeCugini, Owner at Bar Roma, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Our apologies for your disappointing meal and slow service you received. Fishbones
can be very off-putting, and understandably you couldn't eat the remainder of your dish.
We are sorry that even though you were offered something of your choice, your appetite
was spoiled and you accepted chips, perhaps for quickness. Although you were kind
enough to mention that all the others in your party were satisfied with their food, you mentioned
the service was a bit slow too. Generally our staff do their best to give a good service, but
on occasions, when the restaurant is very busy unexpectedly, this can unfortunately affect the
service of the waiters who rely on the kitchen staff, under pressure at these times, to fulfil their orders! Sorry again! Your comment on the cheesecake has been noted, and we will be changing it. Best regards from Bar Roma.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We. Visited before a Tattoo Performance.

Welcome was warm, water on our table quickly. Wine discussed, ordered and served nearly as quickly.

The menu covers traditional dishes, Italian variations on standard restaurant dishes, and Pizzas. The room was busy,but not noisy.

We both had melon and prosciutto starters, and steak dinners. Dessert was profiteroles, and cheesecake.

Excellent value, in an obviously busy restaurant - where there were several families with children dining, and professionals on their way home from work too. Obviously a local. Favourite.

We enjoyed our meal - and would highly recommend this family friendly restaurant.

BebeCugini, Owner at Bar Roma, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Thank you for your fantastic review! Best regards from all at Bar Roma!

Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Sad news that this restaurant is to close at the end of August but to be honest it does give the restaurant an air of resignation. Food was very ordinary and the service was friendly but disinterested. My order was out of stock...which was essential information at the point the waiter gave me the menu.

2  Thank Essexboyz123
BebeCugini, Owner at Bar Roma, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Sad indeed that you felt it necessary to write an unpleasant review for a restaurant that
is recognised as "an institution" and has survived over 32 years!! Bravo!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Such a warm welcome, excellent value kids menu (£6.50 for drink, pizza or pasta, and good quality Italian icecream), really prompt friendly service and waiters incredibly nice to kids aged 9 and 5 - remembering their names, high-fiving them, puting on See-You-Jimmy hat, coming to the rescue when one fell off his chair, and finally a lolly to go home with. Its a big spacious dining room and the choices from the menu for adults are tasty and beautifully presented. A meal out with children that was totally relaxed and enjoyable for all.

BebeCugini, Owner at Bar Roma, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you very much for a lovely review of your family outing to Bar Roma. We welcome your words of praise and are delighted you all had an enjoyable experience! Best wishes from all the staff.