“Perfect stay for the perfect week-end” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Martin's Guest House

Martin's Guest House
Ranked #97 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay for the perfect week-end”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

I stayed here on the 15th December to the 18th with my cousin, When we got to the guesthouse, we were greeted staright away and were shown to our rooms. Sam (the guy who greeted us) was lovely and told us how to get around and what to do and where to eat and places to go and visit. Straight away i knew we were going to have a brillinat stay in this guesthouse. Our room was lovely and the Bathroom was exceptionally clean. Best Guesthouse i have stayed in and would definitely go back. We met the landlady who was lovely and recommended a tour for us. We did the tour that very day and ture to form, it was brilliant.
Service was brilliant. on our last day we got a cooked breakfast which was cooked to perfection.We sat talking to Sam for about 3 hours before we had to get our train home.

Very friendly and i would definitely stay here again. Infact i have already recommended it to everyone. When we go back in the Summer, i know where i will be staying.

Perfect end to the perfect week-end. Well done guys, keep up the great work..

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

My best friend and I have stayed at Martins' annually for a few years now, We always enjoy ourselves. We have stayed in the cottage and the flat, both are perfect for a girls weekend away! we will keep coming back!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank PinkfairydustFife
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

Beautiful B&B which I would love to stay in again and again!

We stayed in the basement room for two nights, it was a spacious room with even included a lovely little patio outside just for us. The service we received was extremely friendly and helpful, Denise even sent me my jacket I had left in the room free of charge! There are a selection nice restaurants and pubs locally, further to this there is a bus stop that takes you straight to the city centre is right outside the B&B.

Thank you again for our stay Denise, I couldn’t recommend this place highly enough!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lindsey M
Aberdeen, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I wanted a room with en suite facilities which felt a wee bit special as it was my husband's birthday weekend and we were visiting Edinburgh to dine at The Honours Brasserie. With this in mind, I did what I believed to be thorough research on the internet looking for reasonably priced accommodation with a bit of flair and style and was delighted to find Martin's Guest House as it had a nice looking en suite room on the lower ground floor complete with french windows leading out to a sweet little patio---the picture looked lovely online. I booked quite a while back to secure this room and spoke directly to the owner on the telephone.
On the morning of our departure, I again telephoned to confirm our arrival and was dismayed to be told that as there had been a flood in the en suite bathroom, our booked room was now unavailable. The owner said not to worry she was putting us in room 3 and it was a comparable room.
On arrival, we were shown to room 3 and, much as it was a fine room, large in size and quite comfortable, there were no private facilities---we would be sharing a shower room and toilet with one other room on the same floor----not comparable at all with what I had booked. When I stated my disappointment, the owner said she had omitted to take my contact details at the time of booking and that was the reason we had been given no warning---and the time to book another guest house. She offered Number 10 in the same road as an alternative but I was not prepared at this point to take another chance!
One plus point I will mention is that the pillows were the best I've slept on in a bed and breakfast establishment!
Breakfast was fine and the owner's daughter was lovely and showed us the room we had originally booked so I might decide to return but next time I'll call the day before to check for floods! as this apparently keeps happening in the lower floor room.
We were also given a discounted price for the room.

Room Tip: If you want an en suite room make sure at the time of booking that that is what is on offer.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Stayed at Martin's Guest House 2 nights this last weekend with my Daughter and her husband. We were visiting Edinburgh to spend time with my Grandson who moved there in July and not knowing the area looked for a B&B near to his flat. We used Trip Advisor to check reviews for suitable accomodation and the very good comments about this B&B were a deciding factor in our choice. We were greeted by Denise who was very friendly and anxious to help in anyway with advice and information. Our rooms were large, airy, clean and comfortable with every amenity you would wish. Breakfast in the lovely sunny room (yes sunny at the end of Oct) was amazing, several cereals, orange juice, tea's of many variety, coffee, instant & filter and then we could choose almost anything to follow, eggs with smoked salmon, bacon, sausages, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms and as much toast as you required.
All in all a thoroughy delightful stay, as to the very minority poor reviews I can only suggest that some folk are either very difficult to please or deliberately complain for reasons best known to themselves. (Would like to see this B&B on TV show 4 in a Bed - bet they would win it!!!!!!!!)

Room Tip: Both our rooms were at the back with great views.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

I needed a room for 2 months, due to relocating to the area, and having a free car parking space, included in the price, saved me a fortune in car parkings fees. The breakfast choice was great too all included in a very competive day/night price

Room Tip: Book well in advance or call direct
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Charming B&B in Edinburgh's thriving centre. Short walk to bustling 'village' high street of Viewforth with quick bus links to down town Edinburgh city centre. Boutique styled rooms are spacious and well equipped. You would expect to pay a lot more for this quality. Hospitality is typically Scottish; warm, generous and accommodating yet not intrusive. Great breakfasts and local knowledge set you up for the day!

• Stayed September 2011