“Had a romantic new year here”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The staff are courteous and welcoming and the hotel is well located ...
We stayed in one of the budget rooms and it was huge, lovely big bath and shower..
And views of central edinburgh, the room service was good even when they made errors with orders...
The pool and spa are excellent ...And its lovely to stay in such and old building..
Only downsides giving you courtesy mineral water -the charging you for it- and it was
overly hot over the time we stayed there, but you can always open the windows ..
Would love to go back and book into the upper floors ..
The also have guests lounge and they have great selection of fresh baking there and free teas and coffees you are being billed for that so use it ;)

Room Tip: larger rooms on upper floors all the rooms are quiet double glazed and its a stone building lowers f...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I was slightly concerned to read that you believed you were staying in one of our “budget” rooms as we certainly would not classify any of our rooms or suites as this. We have 7 categories of rooms from our Study and Deluxe rooms to our Publisher, Director and fantastic Penthouse suites. I am pleased though to hear that you found your room to be of the usual high standard we are proudly known for.
I would like to apologise that “errors” were made with your room service order however from your comments I trust this was resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.
I must admit to being a little confused by your statement about charging you for complimentary water; we service all of our rooms and suites in the evening with a turndown service which includes a complimentary bottle of mineral water left in your room. If there were charges made on your bill these may have related to any items taken from the mini bar and if you would like to contact me directly I will happily investigate this for you and ensure you were correctly billed.
I am sorry that your room was not set at a heating level comfortable to you; I have spoken to my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara about this. He has thoroughly checked that the heating system in the room is operating as it should be with localised thermostatic controls. We are however, very aware of the fact that we should have had this room prepared better for your arrival.
With regards to your comments about the residents lounge and “free tea and coffee” again, I am confused by this. We offer our guests the use of our relaxing Vermillion lounge where they can enjoy the use of a business centre, relax in sofas and armchairs and of course order any refreshments from our Brasserie staff to be delivered to the lounge for them; I must respectfully correct you and state that we do not supply nor advertise any free teas, coffees or fresh baking and I am unsure where you have this information from.
I was pleased to hear that you will be returning to the Scotsman in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back
Thomas Graham

Write a ReviewReviews (2,452)

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I stayed at the Scotsman for 2 nights in January, a suprise and very nostalgic 30th birthday present from my partner.

For anybody with only a few days in this fantastic city then this hotel is perfectly placed to explore all of the main tourist areas & attractions.

The hotel exterior is very imposing and many of the rooms afford brilliant views across Waverley & South Bridge to Princes Street, the Scott Monument & Carlton Hill. We stayed in room 603, a deluxe room looking across towards the 'New Town'. Unfortunately the room was a little disappointing, it was large with a very comfortable bed and all the usual bits you'd expect but it felt 'tired' and a bit shabby, ready for a bit of TLC. The bathroom however was modern and very nicely appointed.

There was a good selection at breakfast and the staff were friendly and accomodating. The full scottish breakfast was very hearty but unfortunately there wasn't a vegetarian alternative for my partner.

The health club/fitness centre was large and well equipped, the stainless steel pool was defintely worth packing your speedos for!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel, the staff made our stay very pleasant (the doorman - whos name escapes me now - was a very jovial chap, clearly genuinely interested in his charges and always taking the time to enquire whether there was anything he could do to help) and we weren't short of anything but perhaps some of the rooms are ready for a bit of a revamp.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

I am glad you found our enviable position on North Bridge to be ideal for visiting the many attractions that Edinburgh has to offer and that you enjoyed the fabulous views many of our rooms have across various parts of the city. I was sorry, however to hear that you found the room itself to be a little “disappointing” and “tired,” all of our rooms are maintained on a regular basis including a painting schedule to endeavour to ensure that our décor is kept at a high standard and I am sorry that we did not meet your personal expectations.
I have taken on board your feedback regarding offering a vegetarian option with our cooked breakfasts and I have already passed this onto my Food Services Manager, Samantha Slight and my Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart who are looking into this option.
It is always a pleasure to receive our guests feedback and to hear that you will be recommending us to your friends and family is an added bonus. I would also like to thank you for your kind compliments about our doorman, Ivor; I have personally passed these onto him and he was very flattered by your comments.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed 15 February 2012

I always loved Edinburgh eversince my first visit there in 1977.The last time I stayed at The Scotsman hotel and I was really impressed by its location (very close to all places of interest ),its rooms (we asked for and we were offered a superior room with city view that totally satisfied our needs,clean,comfortable,correct price,quiet though at the second floor corner with superb bathroom.We stayed 4 nights and we had 3 dinners at its fantastic restaurant with excellent service,kindness and food quality.Plates with salmon are unforgettable.
The personnel was discrete,very polite and helpful,though I knew where to go and what to see,they were very kind to guide us to some nice places around the city.A hotel I would love to re-visit at my beloved "Athens of the North ".Congratulations to all personnel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leostro
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive reviews on websites such as Trip Advisor and to hear that you have stayed with us before and we delivered the same outstanding service you remembered is an added bonus.
Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart is exceptionally proud of the imaginative as well as “truly” Scottish menus he offers and I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy these on several occasions; I have passed on your kind compliments already to Paul and his brigade.
We look forward to welcoming you back to your “Athens of the North”

Reviewed 14 February 2012

If you like the finer things in life then believe me, you simply have to stay the The Scotsman.

Don't let the appearance outside fool you - this is the best hotel in Edinburgh without a doubt.

As the old 'Scotsman' newspaper headquarters, each bedroom is unique and the whole place has a feel of something far more enchanting than just a hotel!

The leisure facilities are truly second to none in the area - it boasts an enormous gym and swimming pool, and the spa is simply amazing!

All the staff are friendly and attentive, and the hotel is clearly exceptionally well managed - the general manager is very approchable and passionate about the hotel.

Forget the rest, The Scotsman is undoubtedly the best hotel in Edinburgh

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

As you have mentioned, as the Scotsman, we were originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. This means that all of our rooms are individually sized and styled giving a real feeling of originality and quality to all of our rooms and suites.

We are the first hotel in Edinburgh to boast the fantastic stainless steel pool and with the variety of our steam room, sauna, tropicarium and jacuzzi it certainly makes for a great health club and spa experience.

I would like to personally thank you for the kind compliments you have paid me; our staff, the hotel and the facilities we offer are of a very unique trend and I believe that good service is important throughout all staff levels of the hotel and I am pleased that I was able to assist you.

To be recommended as “the best hotel in Edinburgh” is truly complimentary and I would like to thank you for that. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed 14 February 2012

Wow, what an amazing hotel! Having stayed in all of the other 5* hotels in Edinburgh I have to say that this beats them all hands down. The bedroom was so different to all the other hotels - with oak panelled walls, numerous original and quirky features - and with fantastic views over Edinburgh.

The service was exceptional and the whole feel of the place just ooozed class and decadence. The General Manager (Tom Graham) was absolutely fantastic, and he even took the time to personally show us around the hotel - now that's service and some!

I would recommend The Scotsman to anyone who loves to stay at a truly quality hotel. Trust me, forget the other perhaps more well known 5* hotels in Edinburgh, this place is better than all of them.

Room Tip: Each room is unique, however a room with a view over Princes street will make your stay even more me...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay. We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am glad that I was able to offer this to you as well as my teams across the hotel.
As we are situated in the centre of Edinburgh City and hold an enviable position on the edge of North Bridge we are surrounded by the buildings of the Old Town of Edinburgh and I must agree that our views across to Princes Street are the most popular and for good reason.

I hope that you will return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman and I look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband surprised me with a Valentines weekend away in Edinburgh- he spent ages taking the time to choose the "perfect" romantic hotel and eventually picked The Scotsman.

I had no idea where we were going and have to say was rather disappointed on arrival at the hotel. There is no "grand" entrance and the hotel does not appear 5 star- the lobby is tired and there is no smart doorman to greet you and carry your bags. Not a good start.

On arrival to the room, i have to say i was really dissapointed. Even though we had been upgraded, the room was old and in need of a refurbishment- old carpets/sofa, wonky tv and poor lighting. (No lighting near chairs in front of windows, no lighting above the bath) I also felt the layout of the room was poor even though the space was massive, which was a shame.

We tried to swap rooms and the hotel staff were extremely helpful but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked.

Even though i was initially disappointed witht he hotel, my husband and i had a lovely time in Edinburgh- we went to La Maison Bleue for lunch, visited the Castle and took a walk up Carlton Hill and then went to The Witchery for dinner. AMAZING.

Before dinner, we returned to the hotel, and I have to say The Scotsman really comes into its own at night. There are lovely lit candles everywhere and the soft lighting hides the wear of the furnishings. The communal areas are fantastic and in particular The Spa. My husband and i had a great time in there trying out all the different saunas.

I had a spa treatment the following morning and was very impressed with my therapist and the lovely relaxation area- beautifully designed.

As well as the great spa, there is a lovely lounge for guest use and the staff are nothing short of kind and helpful. The location is also perfect and the bed was SO comfortable. All in all, a mixed bag- i think that the hotel just needs a refurbishment of the rooms and furniture in order to achieve the 5 star, luxury, individual feel that it is going for and that i am sure it used to be in the past.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I was concerned to hear that our entrance, lobby and doorman service did not live up to your expectations on arrival; the Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept and this includes the main entrance as well as the wood panelled reception room.

We have designed our reception area to be as welcoming as possible; by having a “Concierge” style check-in, a roaring fire burning at all times and comfortable sofas we hope that our guests feel warm and looked after during their first moments in the hotel. I appreciate that this style is not to everyone’s tastes; however I must admit that I am slightly confused by your comment that the lobby appears “tired.”

With regards to the comments you have made about the doorman, unfortunately as I am not aware of your personal details and the times or dates that you arrived I am unable to comment with clarity on this, however I would like to confirm that our Concierge team and our doorman, Ivor are available to our guests 24 hours day and assist with guests arriving, escorting guests to their rooms and introducing the hotel facilities. I can only assume that on this occasion both Ivor and the Concierge team were assisting fellow guests; I appreciate that this is no comfort to yourselves and I can only apologise that we did not meet your expectations on arrival.

As I mentioned earlier all of our rooms are individually designed, styled and laid out to fit in with the original layouts of the building from its previous use; again as I am unaware of your room number I can not comment on the exact lighting arrangements. I would like to assure you that all of our rooms are checked regularly by our Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara and Paul and his team always endeavour to rectify any reports of faults made by guests as quickly as possible. It is unfortunate that we were unable to change your room for you but I was pleased to hear that you found our staff to be “extremely helpful.”

I was very pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations on your return to the hotel in the evening and that you enjoyed the romantic and relaxing atmosphere of the Scotsman; our spa is something really special and it is great to hear that the sauna, steam room, tropicarium and stainless steel pool contributed to your enjoyment.

I hope that you and your husband will choose to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman in the future when I’m sure the small items you have mentioned that did not meet your expectations can be resolved.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Just back from a weekday city break staying at the scotsman.
Very hard working ,dilligent and friendly staff
The hotels location is perfect iMO.Your literally right across the road from Waverly train station.200m from the Royal Mile and 300m from Princes Street

Check in went really well.Not due to check in till 2pm we arrived in the city at noon but went up to leave our bags at the hotel to do a spot of pub/shopping.Were pleasantly surprised to be told not only was our room ready......they were giving us a free upgrade to a superior room,Excellent!

The room itself was decent enough and the bathroom was huge,
The quirky thing about it is your room door is like a door and a half?! The half being a type of service hatch for room service.We had our breakfast delivered this way (£5 tray cover) and it was popped through piping-hot bang on time as requested.
I can't comment on the dining facilities as we ate out though we did pop in for a nightcap and the bar is a thing of beauty.Architecturally it is gorgeous.
Overall I'd recommend the hotel to anyone largely due to the young and enthusiastic staff.
The only glitch we had was we were charged twice for an item and didn't realise until returning home but one phone call and the staff sorted it and couldn't apologise enough.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Even though our official check in time is 2pm we always endeavour to have our rooms ready for our guests as soon as possible and I was pleased to see we were able to offer you an earlier check in and I always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

The privacy hatch that you have mentioned is a real hidden gem and allows our guests total privacy whilst still allowing us to deliver our 5 star services and facilities such as shoe cleaning, room service and dry cleaning requests.

I was sorry to hear that we mistakenly charged you twice for an item and glad to hear that this was quickly rectified.

It is a bonus to hear that you will be recommending us to your family and friends and I hope that you will return yourselves in the future