“Hotel stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #93 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Hotel stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is an okay hotel. A little way out of the city but opposite a nature reserve which is lovely to walk in. We were allowed a late check out at no cost. The staff are very friendly and the food we ate in the bar was very good.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the back side of the hotel as the road is busy and used throughout the night and on the...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Jane706,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

We are truly delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Chris Lynch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

had a lovely stay, staff really friendly and helpfull.hotel very clean and tidy. would recommend to all.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear jack1megan2,

Stewiacke, NS Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Although this hotel is not in the city centre it is close to the bus terminal and an easy ride to the city centre...It was very clean, food was good, service excellent and very quite a night...well worth the effort to get downtown...I will definitely stay here again...lovely really

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Curiousfilly,

Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed here with my daughter 21/5/12. I picked it because it had a swimming pool and free parking and was really good value. It was much nicer than I expected for the price and from the minute we arrived we were made welcome, all the staff were pleasant and helpful. We had a snack in the restaurant when we arrived and breakfast next day. The food was good and again really good value. There was a 20 minute bus ride into the town centre, bus stop a couple of minutes' walk away and buses every 10 minutes. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

Dear MollyMCumbria,

Allentown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Wow, I was really disappointed with this hotel. Firstly, it was WAAAAAY away from the city center. I knew it wasn't right there, but I was surprised. A solid 30-40min bus ride each way, or a 20min, £15 cab ride. The room was clean and the water was hot, but that's about all I can say. There were no outlets that were located anywhere near a mirror, so that any women that need to use a hair appliance, you're out of luck. The floor was creaky and noisey, the bed was ard and uncomfortable, and the housekeepers were knocking on doors at 8am wanting to clean the rooms! I've never stayed anywhere where they knocked that early. Heaven forbid the person in the room next to you had left, they were in there making a terrible racket, knocking into things with the vacuume, moving furniture around etc.. the light in the bathroom flickered constantly like a disco ball and was finally fixed on my third day. One night, cold, wet, and tired, I called for room service and was greeted with such a sigh of hardship that it prompted an automatic apology from me, though on afterthought, there should have been no need!

The front desk people were very helpful and pleasant, though never once asked for any proof of identity from me, which I found interesting. The food was decent, though nothing particularly special.

If you are coming to vacation in Edinburgh (which you should, the city is LOVELY), this is NOT the hotel to stay at. I'm sure it must have other good uses, but as I was here for pleasure, I can only attest to that. I did not even venture to the gym or pool area.

Something else to keep in mind, the elevataor only goes to the second floor. So if you have a room on the third, you have to hoist your bags up another flight of stairs (which no one told me after graciously offering me a "bigger" room on the 3rd floor when I checked in).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank honidewgirl
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear honidewgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with our hotel, this is something we do not relish in as we do receive so many other positive reviews.

We are located approximately 4 miles from the vibrant city centre. Currently major roadworks are taking place due to construction of a tram service network which can cause delays on the major and arterial routes in and around the city.

We measure and benchmark our hotel to an excellent three star standard to which we work very hard at maintaining and exceeding. I would wish to personally apologise for the manner in which the team member recieved your room service call, this in particular and your other issues have been raised and discussed in detail with the team here at the hotel.

It would be our most sincere wish welcome you back to The Edinburgh Capital Hotel in the not too distant future.

Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Check in was okay with friendly staff. The insistence on passport details was odd. Booked a twin room but was allocated a double. Cleaning staff at work as we arrived - difficult to navigate narrow corridors. Cleaning still not complete by evening – plateful of food in open view near lift. First member of restaurant staff was excellent - friendly and polite, directed us past a table located directly under leaking roof to another, larger table. Second member of restaurant staff removed us from this table a few minutes later and took no notice whatsoever of our explanation as to why we'd been placed there - just dragged the wet table across and did a very cursory wipe of the water that had puddled on it. She ignored us for the rest of the evening while fawning over the larger party she showed to the first table a bit later. Food okay. Room okay - a bit dated but clean with a fabulous view of the nature reserve. Noisy people above disrupted sleep. Internet stopped working in morning. Cleaning equipment / trolley again blocking corridor on way out. Staff on check out very polite and friendly.

All told, a very disappointing experience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear O Z,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and share your feedback with us. I have also noted your additional feedback from our in house customer comment form.

I wish to apologise for the number of difficulties that you experienced during your stay, this is not indicative of our normally high standards and levels of service. I do wish that I had the opportunity to put things right personally during your stay, unfortunately I have only found out from your feedback.

Your feedback has been raised and discussed in detail with the team here at the hotel.

It would be our most sincere wish to welcome you back to our hotel in the none too distant future and have a more memorable stay for all the right reasons.

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

On arrival I was well treated after a long 6 hour drive. The staff at reception were very friendly and helpful.

The Rooms were OK, nothing special, a little out-dated. If your working on buisness the internet is pretty rubbish for signal when using mobile braodband. wi-fi is availble at a cost. good TV but not a lot of varitey.

Breakfeast was OK, nothing special yet again, It would have been nice to of had some healthier options, it was lacking in variety.

Restaurant was far to expensive for what I paid, the portions were very small and the chicken salad I had didnt taste fresh at all.

Gym/spa - PERFECT! just what you need for a morning wake up call.

Overall - 70 percent happy with the overall stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Lou P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us. I was sorry to read that you had paid for wifi. Best Western UK requires all of their hotels to offer free wifi to our guests, I think you may have picked up a public network broadcasting in the vicinity that required payment.

I have discussed and shared your food comments with our head chef, we take onboard your feedback. Our menus and food choices accross breakfast, lunch and dinner reflect substantial and varied choices of traditional, modern and healthy styles of cuisine. Most certainly upon a future visit and with enough notice, we would be very happy to prepare any of your favourite dishes.

We have a comprehensive ongoing investment and refurbishment schedule, the company is fully comitted to this process. All of our bedrooms and public areas are on a rolling programme of improvement.