Kildonan Lodge Hotel
US$227
US$215
Waldorf Astoria
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$198
US$193
US$169
US$141
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
US$173
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$133
Hotels.com
US$273
US$184
Agoda.com
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$114
Agoda.com
All reviewshonesty barcomplimentary sherryfour poster bedspa bathhonor barcity centreblack watchday ticketsmall hotelbus servicesitting roomlovely hotelfrequent busesfree car parkleave the carmain roadminute bus ride
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Good location, handy for taking the bus, but beds were uncomfortable and dinner service was very slow.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2011

After looking back at previous reviews i recognised the room we have just stayed in and was amazed that that review was in sept 2009, nearly 2 years ago! Surely the problems should have been fixed by now? The hotel was charming in itself & the staff were lovely, the breakfasts were excellent. The room was such a let-down, i don't think it deserves an "EXECUTIVE" label due to being damp & the bathroom was indeed tatty looking with loose fittings & cracked tiles, we didn't find out if the spa bath worked as we didn't want to spend that much time in there!! We were compensated after complaining but would have rather paid full price & not had to complain. Would stay again, in a different room!

Room Tip: I would avoid room 2
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jane h
KildonanLodgeHotel, Owner at Kildonan Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2011

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am delighted that you would stay again. I am really pleased that you liked the staff and the breakfast and that you found the hotel charming. I just wanted to let you know that the small damp patch in the room was due to unusually heavy rainfall and this has now been treated. I hope that the complimentary meal and discount helped to compensate for any disappointment but appreciate that this was only second to the room being perfect for you. I very much look forward to you revisiting the hotel. Please contact us in advance and we can give you very full descriptions of all the rooms and let you see pictures so you can choose a room that you really like.

Thanks

Reviewed 18 August 2011

I ended up booking at this hotel as a result of some late decisions when planning my conference-going for this summer, and I was trying to balance a cheap price against actually being able to find my way into the city centre. To my surprise, I managed to satisfy both those conditions at no cost to the quality of the room at all!

This hotel is family run, and it felt very cosy. The room I stayed in was spacious, very high ceiling (so high that the bathroom was in fact contained in a smaller box with a lower ceiling). Very pleasant old-fashioned decor and furniture, but not worn or old in a bad way.

The week I stayed in Edinburgh was quite hot, and the location of this hotel ensured that I could have a quiet night even with the window open.

I am really trying to scrape together some negative points here, as you might suspect:
- there wasn't really anywhere to get a quick bite in the surrounding area, so I had to help myself from some crisps from the "honesty bar" instead.
- Finally, the hotel internet is completely unsecured, which is a bit of a hazard to the casual user (anyone could peek into your facebook account and such if you use it the wrong way).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank civertson
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We spent four days at the KIldonan Lodge Hotel in July 2011, and we will certainly be back. The staff were helpful, knowedgable and friendly, especially as we often had to ask directions for locations in Edinburgh that were a bit 'off the beaten track'. The room (ours was on the lower level) was very comfortable and our first-ever proper Scottish breakfast was very tasty. Thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I had visited Edinburgh several times before but wanted something special this time - it was time to ask my fiance to commit for a lifetime with me. The Kildonan had been recommended to me and came up to the mark in everything I could have imagined. It was an excellent time - the service, the accommodation, the ambience, and a good price too. My fiance agreed to marry me so what more could I ask for? I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for excellent service, super accommodation and service which is way above what we would normally expect in the UK- and at a good price. We're now planning to have our wedding in the Kildonan next year - what more can I say!! Many thanks to the KIldonan for making our visit memorable!

Room Tip: The room was first class and had everything we needed.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple