“very clean and convenient”

Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel
Thessaloniki, Greece
“very clean and convenient”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

very clean, comfortable, the dorms had their own shower and toilet (very convenient!) good food services, very nice kitchen, nice youthful environment.

the only negative aspect is that even though it is quite expensive for a hostel it doesn't provide any free services. One has to buy internet credit, for one pound per hour, something that I find completely inappropriate nowadays. What is more, even though the sheets are for free, if you don't have your own towel you would have to pay for one. Last, if you have trouble with noise while sleeping, I wouldn't suggest a room or dorm on the street, as the Leith Walk -the street that the hostel is on- is very noise all night long.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Having stayed in countless hostels all over the world this was one of the best if not a little expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. Rooms were spotless, showers were the best I experienced, beds were excellent, staff were superb, location is pretty central no need for buses, restaurants, cinema, theatre, pubs, shopping all with easy walking.
A really great hostel and i will definitely use again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Nice and new and in a great location for walking Edinburgh, Scotland. If you need an affordable place to stay, this would be a good choice.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Good clean hostel with great family room for me and my family of 4. The time we visited the staff were very helpful and polite but the lack of a decent sized kitchen for preparing meals was a bit of a drawback. At the time we visited there were large groups of school groups using the YHA and it was very busy in the members kitchen. Busy to the point that as one person finished with a bowl and it was washed it was being used by someone else?

The upstairs restaurant appears to have taken priority in terms of space compared to the members kitchen which is a real shame

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank David W
Bristol, UK
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hostel definately deserves its 5 stars, i stayed in a 2 bed room with my mum and we were pleasantly surpised that it was a twin room, and lovely and spacious too. We had great nights sleep. The room and rest of the hostel were very clean and inviting. I was impressed with the facilities and the staff were all very helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Luceeya
UK
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I spent two nights here over the weekend and found it clean, comfy and ideally situated within walking distance of everywhere I wanted to go.

The staff were really helpful and sorted me out with bus timetables and city maps.

I didn't have breakfast there as, when I went down at 9.30, the breakfast room was deserted and I didn't feel like sitting on my own. I headed left down Leith Walk instead and have a lovely breakfast at the Word of Mouth cafe.

The only thing that prevented me giving it five stars was that it seemed to lack the buzzing vibe I've found at other hostels but maybe I just wasn't around at the right times.

Room Tip: I was in 202 which had a window on the side street rather than Leith Walk and was told these were th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The SYHA hostel I stayed at was NOT the one near the castle, but the year round hostel on Haddington Place. The year prior I had stayed one night in a dodgy B&B that never bothered with the breakfast, so Edinburgh was not high on my list of "places to return to". But I flew into Edinburgh, arriving exhausted in early morning, and although they were closed officially, the SYHA hostel staff was incredibly accommodating and professional and nice. I only stayed one night, but the room and showers were clean and bright and the kitchen was large and quite well-equipped. Thanks SYHA for another great hostel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo