“Favourite Edinsurgh Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Favourite Edinsurgh Hotel”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I am a regular visitor to Edinburgh on business, and the Rutland is always my first choice hotel. The rooms are clean, bright and modern - the Executive Rooms on particular are very spacious and well appointed. The bathrooms are really good, I love the rainfall showers, and the fact that it took me until about my tenth stay to work out that the lighting around the mirror worked by 'touch' says more about me than it does about the hotel!! The complimentary muffin and shortbreads are a great touch - I always take them home to my wife, who raves about them!!

The location is perfect for my business appointments, also within easy walking distance of many great bars and restaurants. Despite being on a major intersection, I have never been bothered by road noise.

The staff are always delightful, very friendly, welcoming and helpful. All in all I would thoroughly recommend The Rutland to any business or leisure traveller to Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Hi there,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm pleased you enjoy your time with us, and that you keep coming back for more!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Edinburgh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed here last weekend and the whole experience of The Rutland Hotel really made my break. From entering the hotel with the extremely excellent staff, to the wonderful room, great size, comfy bed, nice touches such as fresh milk and muffins, to the REALLY quite brilliant steak restaurant. The pastry chef there is worth the trip alone.
Thank you very much Rutland Hotel. Highly highly recommended.

Room Tip: I chose a bigger room and it was a good size and had a jacuzzi bath if you like that sort of thing.
1 Thank Zippydedoodah
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Hi folks,

I just wanted to thank you for writing your review of The Rutland Hotel!

I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay so much, and will definitely make sure the staff all read your nice comments.

Regards the pastry chef - I completely agree - the desserts are fantastic!!!

I hope we see you again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at The Rutland for our 10th wedding anniversary. It was the end of a holiday in the Highlands.we wanted to finish in Edinburgh. I did a lot of research beforehand and settled for this one as it looked great. It did NOT disappoint. I had booked a castle view room and had asked for room 5 if poss. We had room 5, we also had a lovely rose and a card congratulating us with a bottle of Preosecco and some little cakes. I was over the moon, this was just a perfect way of ending our anniversary. It was a surprise for my husband so he was very impressed! It's little things like this that make such a difference. The room was great. Decor as I had hoped for. Wonderful large bed, brilliant view of the castle, jacuzzi bath. Location was great for both the old and new town and also the train station. Everyone at reception was lovely. I couldn't ask for anymore. We loved Edinburgh and would like to come back and we will definitely stay at The Rutland. Thank you so much for making our Anniversary so wonderful

Hi folks!

I just wanted to write a small note to thank you for your very kind review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we could help make it special for you both.

I hope you will make it back to Edinburgh sometime soon, and if you do, please let us be your first port of call!

Liversedge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Just been to stay at Rutland Hotel and cannot praise this hotel enough. We arrived early (due to our train) and was greeted at the hotel with a nice warm geniune welcome. Our room wasn't quite ready(but it was our fault for being early) we were seated in the bar next door and given a complimentary coffee until our room was ready. We had booked a junior suite. The room was amazing, spacious and immaculate. We had our luggage taken upstairs and shown round our room by Claire. Room had everything you could need. It had a view of Edinburgh castle from the window. Room had all mod cons including surround sound, decor was amazing and to a very high standard. We had home made muffins on the bed and a large selection of tea/coffee. We had mentioned to the staff that we were celebrating an anniversary and when we returned to our room later, they had left a card and a bottle of fizz on ice for us. We had never been to Edinburgh before and was given advise on where to go and what to see. Staff gave us recommendations for restaurants and offered to book tables for us/sort taxi's etc. The hotel was quiet, peaceful and very relaxing. Check out was swift and the staff kept our bags locked away until our train was due which gave us time to do some last minute shopping. It was worth every penny. If you want to stay in an amazing hotel then pick the Rutland. It has just been fantastic. I do not understand any of the negative reviews about this hotel. We found nothing to complain about. I cannot thank the staff enough for making our anniversary so special. We will definately stay again if we visit edinburgh.

Room Tip: We had Room 12, a junior suite..superb
Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to thank you both very much for reviewing the hotel!

I am thrilled you had such a nice time with us, and am very pleased we could help make your anniversary so special!

Finger crossed you can make it back up to Edinburgh some time in the future, and if you do, we would be more than happy to have you stay with us again.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed with four of my friends in the Rutland apartment this weekend. Quite frankly, they don't charge enough! Staff were so attentive, at check in, we had the lovely Latvian Laura, who gave us some tips on where to hang out in the evenings she also let us check in 2 hours early! We were shown to our basement apartment (just a stones throw from the main hotel) The pictures on the website just don't do it justice, the rooms were beautiful, one very nice little touch was the red GHDs in the drawer! And the most comfortable beds with cosy down duvets. The kitchen area so well kitted out (there was a NESPRESSO machine, i thought i'd died and gone to heaven) and so much natural light coming through the french windows. I had forgotten that there was a courtyard garden, it had the sweetest furniture and lovely lighting - perfect for sitting out in the evening with our drinks and taking lots of pictures. We were so very pleased by what we got for our money - £230 per night (working out at a mere £46 pp per night) Overall, i reccomend the apartment to anyone, couples, families, groups of single friends..ANYONE!

Room Tip: The Rutland apartment is fantastic value for money
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Hello Ladies!

Thank you very much for reviewing The Rutland Apartment, and for recommending it so highly.

I have to say, I share your enthusiasm for the GHD hair straighteners (which we also have in all of our rooms in the hotel) - I never like traveling with my own pair, for fear of breaking/losing them, so having them in room takes that worry away!

Thank you also for mentioning "the lovely Latvian Laura" - she obviously made quite an impression, which is excellent news!

We hope to see you again someday!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband booked a night here for my birthday (via Mr and Mrs Smith)
We were welcomed warmly and shown personally to our lovely room with jacuzzi bath
There was a complimentary bottle of prosecco chilling in an ice bucket and even a card on the bed with the delicious home made muffins!
From the window you could see right down to the sea
The bath was great and Arran Aromatics toiletries perfect
Quality tea bags and coffee bags and fresh milk in the fridge - a rare find
Thanks to Mr and Mrs Smith we then went down to the atmospheric cocktail bar and had complimentary cocktails before setting out on the bus to the Canny Mans in Morningside
Very soft bed linen, quiet room and a very pleasant farewell the following morning
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Room Tip: Jacuzzi room lovely
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi folks,

Just a small note to thank you for reviewing The Rutland Hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay so much, and have recommended the hotel so highly.

Hopefully you'll make it back to Edinburgh to come and stay with us again some time in the near future.

Fleet UK
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This was our second visit - we stayed in October 2010 and this stay in March 2012 was for my 40th birthday weekend - my husband, son and I had room 10 and my mother stayed in room 9. The location is amazing. The rooms are very well equipped with Arran Aromatics toiletries and a rainshower shower and they offer free mineral water and proper milk. It makes such a difference. The beds are really comfortable - my mum said it was the most comfortable bed she'd ever slept in. Only criticism about the rooms: theft-proof hangers - I hate them!

We hadn't told the hotel that it was my birthday but when the chambermaid saw the cards in our room she told the manager who sent up a free bottle of prosecco. The staff really couldn't do enough to help us - every member of staff was pleasant and we felt very welcome. Because we had booked via Mr & Mrs Smith we received a free cocktail as well.

One thing to bear in mind is the noise from the bar downstairs. We stayed mid-week last time and weren't aware of any noise. This time we stayed Fri and Sat nights and the music went on until about 2am and seemed to reverberate around the building, so if you put your head on the pillow you could hear the thumping. It seems like it was worse in room 9 than in room 10, so that may be something to ask about when booking. Noise from outside wasn't an issue.

My one suggestion to the hotel would be to invest in an internet terminal that people can use to check train times, opening times etc, check in for flights online - they kindly did it for me, but then I caused a queue for people checking out.

Tips for breakfast if you have a room only rate - try the Cafe Centro on George St - a bit of a hike but worth it. We've also eaten breakfast at the Castle on a previous visit.

A lovely stay, thank you.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family