“A fun hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rutland Hotel

Ranked #9 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen
“A fun hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at the Rutland for two evenings in early April 2012. Overall, we had a very pleasant experience. Positives: the reception staff were very friendly and helpful, our room was spacious and very clean, the bed was comfortable and the jacuzzi was a nice surprise. The complimentary muffins on the bed on arrival were also a nice touch. The hotel is in a great location and boasts some interesting decor. I personally loved the colourful chairs. We left a couple of items of clothing in the room and the reception promptly mailed them out to us which was great.
Things to be improved: the elevator wasn't working for part of our stay and we were on the top floor (not a problem for me as I would probably climb the stairs anyways but this could be a problem for some), the breakfast was a bit slow even though the restaurant was not busy.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah H
Hi there,

Thank you for reviewing the hotel for us, and I'm pleased you enjoyed the jacuzzi and that we could get your left items back to you.

With regards the elevator being out of service during part of your stay - please accept my apologies, I hope it didn't sour your stay with us. I can report that the elevator was serviced by an engineer and was back in action by 1.30pm on the day it broke down.

I hope we can welcome you back to The Rutland Hotel at some point soon,

Edinburgh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

My boyfriend and i were going to a concert at the Usher hall, late March ( to see the fantastic Joe Bonamassa!) and didnt just want any hotel, it had to be somewhere special to make the whole experience perfect. We like quality and as soon as we came across this hotel on tripadvisor, we immediatly fell in love with it and i have to say the photo`s dont do it justice. It is absolutely stunning, and the staff are the most helpful and friendliest we have come across anywhere! The hotel has the perfect location for exploring both the old and new towns.
We booked the castle view room (no.11) and it was amazing! light and airey, spotlessly clean with a beautiful large wet room and a walk in rainfall shower, the bed was huge and extremely comfortable, everything you could possibly need was included in the room, even fresh milk and bottled water and the complimentary muffins and shortbread were delicious! We were amazed at how quiet the room was, considering the busy location but we didnt hear a noise from outside, the whole of our stay! We had a cooked breakfast on the two mornings, it was delicious and plenty of it, we were`nt hungry for hours afterwards! We ate dinner at the hotels Kyloe restaurant on the two nights of our stay. The restaurant specialises in steak and the knowledge of staff is outstanding. We had steak on the both nights it was that good!!!
We would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone who likes somewhere unique. luxurious, spotlessly clean, amazing decor, truley scrumptious food and the friendliest staff you could ever meet. From the moment we walked through the door right up until we were leaving, there was a truely relaxing atmosphere, and we had an absolutely wonderful stay. We would like to say a big thank you to Claire who made our stay most enjoyable and really went out of her way to help us. We will most definately stay here again on our next trip to Edinburgh!!!

Room Tip: Room 11 is extremely quiet with a great castle view and large wetroom with walk in shower
Hi guys,

Just a wee note to say thank you very much for writing such a great review for the hotel! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay so much, and that we could help make it memorable for you.

I wonder though, if you managed to get your flight home, with a Joe Bonamassa drum stick in your bag???

I look forward to having you back in the hotel,

Many thanks, and kind regards,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Rutland Hotel in March.
We arrived by car, there is no off street parking at the hotel, the street outside is restricted residential parking permits or further down the street there is parking meters. When we enquired at the hotel where we could park we were directed to a multi storey car park that was part of a hotel chain about 10 minutes walk away. This car park charged £18 for greater than 8 hours per day.

We had booked a room with a spa bath. The room itself was nice with good quality furnishings, mini bar, and filter coffee. But for all intents and purposes there was no window. There was a window, but there was an extension from the room next door coming into our room that blocked the window so there was only about a 1 foot gap where the room was angled away from the window.

We had paid extra for a cooked breakfast each morning. The breakfast is served in the Rutland bar, as we had a good meal in the restaurant upstairs the night before we were looking forward to breakfast. But we should not have bothered it was rank.
The toast came on the plate on top of your breakfast with nowhere to put it when eating the breakfast. The potato scone was not cooked, the pork sausage was foul and the scrambled egg was overcooked.

We cancelled breakfast for the next day and they refunded us for both days breakfast.

If you plan to go to the Rutland hotel, take the train and pass on the cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: not room 6
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I am a regular visitor to Edinburgh on business, and the Rutland is always my first choice hotel. The rooms are clean, bright and modern - the Executive Rooms on particular are very spacious and well appointed. The bathrooms are really good, I love the rainfall showers, and the fact that it took me until about my tenth stay to work out that the lighting around the mirror worked by 'touch' says more about me than it does about the hotel!! The complimentary muffin and shortbreads are a great touch - I always take them home to my wife, who raves about them!!

The location is perfect for my business appointments, also within easy walking distance of many great bars and restaurants. Despite being on a major intersection, I have never been bothered by road noise.

The staff are always delightful, very friendly, welcoming and helpful. All in all I would thoroughly recommend The Rutland to any business or leisure traveller to Edinburgh.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Hi there,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm pleased you enjoy your time with us, and that you keep coming back for more!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed here last weekend and the whole experience of The Rutland Hotel really made my break. From entering the hotel with the extremely excellent staff, to the wonderful room, great size, comfy bed, nice touches such as fresh milk and muffins, to the REALLY quite brilliant steak restaurant. The pastry chef there is worth the trip alone.
Thank you very much Rutland Hotel. Highly highly recommended.

Room Tip: I chose a bigger room and it was a good size and had a jacuzzi bath if you like that sort of thing.
1 Thank Zippydedoodah
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Hi folks,

I just wanted to thank you for writing your review of The Rutland Hotel!

I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay so much, and will definitely make sure the staff all read your nice comments.

Regards the pastry chef - I completely agree - the desserts are fantastic!!!

I hope we see you again!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at The Rutland for our 10th wedding anniversary. It was the end of a holiday in the Highlands.we wanted to finish in Edinburgh. I did a lot of research beforehand and settled for this one as it looked great. It did NOT disappoint. I had booked a castle view room and had asked for room 5 if poss. We had room 5, we also had a lovely rose and a card congratulating us with a bottle of Preosecco and some little cakes. I was over the moon, this was just a perfect way of ending our anniversary. It was a surprise for my husband so he was very impressed! It's little things like this that make such a difference. The room was great. Decor as I had hoped for. Wonderful large bed, brilliant view of the castle, jacuzzi bath. Location was great for both the old and new town and also the train station. Everyone at reception was lovely. I couldn't ask for anymore. We loved Edinburgh and would like to come back and we will definitely stay at The Rutland. Thank you so much for making our Anniversary so wonderful

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Hi folks!

I just wanted to write a small note to thank you for your very kind review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we could help make it special for you both.

I hope you will make it back to Edinburgh sometime soon, and if you do, please let us be your first port of call!

Liversedge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

Just been to stay at Rutland Hotel and cannot praise this hotel enough. We arrived early (due to our train) and was greeted at the hotel with a nice warm geniune welcome. Our room wasn't quite ready(but it was our fault for being early) we were seated in the bar next door and given a complimentary coffee until our room was ready. We had booked a junior suite. The room was amazing, spacious and immaculate. We had our luggage taken upstairs and shown round our room by Claire. Room had everything you could need. It had a view of Edinburgh castle from the window. Room had all mod cons including surround sound, decor was amazing and to a very high standard. We had home made muffins on the bed and a large selection of tea/coffee. We had mentioned to the staff that we were celebrating an anniversary and when we returned to our room later, they had left a card and a bottle of fizz on ice for us. We had never been to Edinburgh before and was given advise on where to go and what to see. Staff gave us recommendations for restaurants and offered to book tables for us/sort taxi's etc. The hotel was quiet, peaceful and very relaxing. Check out was swift and the staff kept our bags locked away until our train was due which gave us time to do some last minute shopping. It was worth every penny. If you want to stay in an amazing hotel then pick the Rutland. It has just been fantastic. I do not understand any of the negative reviews about this hotel. We found nothing to complain about. I cannot thank the staff enough for making our anniversary so special. We will definately stay again if we visit edinburgh.

Room Tip: We had Room 12, a junior suite..superb
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to thank you both very much for reviewing the hotel!

I am thrilled you had such a nice time with us, and am very pleased we could help make your anniversary so special!

Finger crossed you can make it back up to Edinburgh some time in the future, and if you do, we would be more than happy to have you stay with us again.