“Quirky but also traditional”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

Ranked #10 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Stayed here for my 50th birthday. Room was beautiful, staff were lovely. I received a delicious bottle of Prosecco when staff discovered it was my birthday. Guests receive a 20% discount when dining in the restaurant which offers among other things a variety of steaks. (restaurant is decorated in cow print ) and there is a life size cow sticking through the window facing on to the main street. Bedroom was tastefully decorated, with robes supplied and Arran Aromatic toiletries in the bathroom. Two delicious beautifully wrapped muffins also awaited.We had printed off a voucher for a free breakfast from the Tripadvisor website and we were able to enjoy a great breakfast the next morning (eggs Benedict is highly recommended) Dotted along the corridors and also in the reception area are some very ornate pieces of furniture which I would describe as quirky and well worth checking out. I would definitely recommend staying in this hotel and hope to go back later in the year.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Rutland Hotel

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Just a quick review on our recent stay at the Rutland Hotel, Edinburgh and what a wonderful hotel it was.
From the moment we (fiancee & I) entertered we felt at home, the staff were really friendly & helpful & the hotel decor was amazing.
A "must stay" for any upcoming interior designer.. We are both in the process of renovating our house in Dublin and both stole so many design ideas including the techy in room entertainment system by Audica.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.. great hotel, central, friendly, comfy rooms, super staff & great breakfast.

Room Tip: look at the pictures on their website..
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your kind words - it's always nice when people say good things about our staff, I know they love to hear it!

I'm pleased you like the decor so much, and promise I am on the Company Directors' case to find out where the items you liked were sourced.

I look forward to seeing you again.

Many thanks, and kind regards,

Reviewed 15 April 2012

What we liked about the Rutland Hotel is its proximity to Edinburgh Castle as well as to the Royal Mile and the main shopping streets. They are all just a few minutes walk away. The interiors of the hotel are also quite artistically put together, making it a boutique hotel. There aren't many rooms, just 12 so you will have to reserve early to get a room.
The staff are very friendly and very helpful. We stayed in room number 9 which meant an extra walk up a flight of stairs as the elevators only reach as far as the second level. We didn't mind this at all as it meant a better view of the main street below our room as well as the perpendicular street facing it.
The food is good too. The Rutland Bar on the Ground Floor is probably one of Edinburgh's most popular bars as it always had a good amount of people. We found the cuisine to be quite good. On our last night, we ate at their restaurant which is at the first floor. The food was good although it was unfortunate that there was a mix-up in communication. The lobby staff had informed us that there was a discount for hotel guests and so when we ordered dinner, we chose two for twenty offer. Two courses for Twenty Pounds. We totally enjoyed the meal but the bummer was when the bill came, they told us the special hotel guest discount didn't apply to the two for twenty as that was already a promo. We called the restaurant manager who was nice enough to sort things out. Such misunderstandings could have been avoided had they simply printed it in the menu that special discounts for hotel guests don't go with other promos. Oh well, it was a damper on such an interesting visit to Edinburgh and our stay in such a nice hotel. Except for that everything went well with our stay at the Rutland.

Room Tip: Room 9 is an extra flight of stairs walk but has a great view.
1  Thank Abby T

Hi folks,

Just a note to thank you for your review - I will make sure all of our staff know how friendly you found them!

Please accept my apologies regarding the mix up with hotel resident discount in the our restaurant - I will endeavor to explain the discount system more clearly in future, and appreciate your comments.

I hope we can welcome you here at The Rutland Hotel again some time soon.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at the Rutland for two evenings in early April 2012. Overall, we had a very pleasant experience. Positives: the reception staff were very friendly and helpful, our room was spacious and very clean, the bed was comfortable and the jacuzzi was a nice surprise. The complimentary muffins on the bed on arrival were also a nice touch. The hotel is in a great location and boasts some interesting decor. I personally loved the colourful chairs. We left a couple of items of clothing in the room and the reception promptly mailed them out to us which was great.
Things to be improved: the elevator wasn't working for part of our stay and we were on the top floor (not a problem for me as I would probably climb the stairs anyways but this could be a problem for some), the breakfast was a bit slow even though the restaurant was not busy.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah H
Claire M, Manager at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2012

Hi there,

Thank you for reviewing the hotel for us, and I'm pleased you enjoyed the jacuzzi and that we could get your left items back to you.

With regards the elevator being out of service during part of your stay - please accept my apologies, I hope it didn't sour your stay with us. I can report that the elevator was serviced by an engineer and was back in action by 1.30pm on the day it broke down.

I hope we can welcome you back to The Rutland Hotel at some point soon,

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

My boyfriend and i were going to a concert at the Usher hall, late March ( to see the fantastic Joe Bonamassa!) and didnt just want any hotel, it had to be somewhere special to make the whole experience perfect. We like quality and as soon as we came across this hotel on tripadvisor, we immediatly fell in love with it and i have to say the photo`s dont do it justice. It is absolutely stunning, and the staff are the most helpful and friendliest we have come across anywhere! The hotel has the perfect location for exploring both the old and new towns.
We booked the castle view room (no.11) and it was amazing! light and airey, spotlessly clean with a beautiful large wet room and a walk in rainfall shower, the bed was huge and extremely comfortable, everything you could possibly need was included in the room, even fresh milk and bottled water and the complimentary muffins and shortbread were delicious! We were amazed at how quiet the room was, considering the busy location but we didnt hear a noise from outside, the whole of our stay! We had a cooked breakfast on the two mornings, it was delicious and plenty of it, we were`nt hungry for hours afterwards! We ate dinner at the hotels Kyloe restaurant on the two nights of our stay. The restaurant specialises in steak and the knowledge of staff is outstanding. We had steak on the both nights it was that good!!!
We would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone who likes somewhere unique. luxurious, spotlessly clean, amazing decor, truley scrumptious food and the friendliest staff you could ever meet. From the moment we walked through the door right up until we were leaving, there was a truely relaxing atmosphere, and we had an absolutely wonderful stay. We would like to say a big thank you to Claire who made our stay most enjoyable and really went out of her way to help us. We will most definately stay here again on our next trip to Edinburgh!!!

Room Tip: Room 11 is extremely quiet with a great castle view and large wetroom with walk in shower

Hi guys,

Just a wee note to say thank you very much for writing such a great review for the hotel! I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay so much, and that we could help make it memorable for you.

I wonder though, if you managed to get your flight home, with a Joe Bonamassa drum stick in your bag???

I look forward to having you back in the hotel,

Many thanks, and kind regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Rutland Hotel in March.
We arrived by car, there is no off street parking at the hotel, the street outside is restricted residential parking permits or further down the street there is parking meters. When we enquired at the hotel where we could park we were directed to a multi storey car park that was part of a hotel chain about 10 minutes walk away. This car park charged £18 for greater than 8 hours per day.

We had booked a room with a spa bath. The room itself was nice with good quality furnishings, mini bar, and filter coffee. But for all intents and purposes there was no window. There was a window, but there was an extension from the room next door coming into our room that blocked the window so there was only about a 1 foot gap where the room was angled away from the window.

We had paid extra for a cooked breakfast each morning. The breakfast is served in the Rutland bar, as we had a good meal in the restaurant upstairs the night before we were looking forward to breakfast. But we should not have bothered it was rank.
The toast came on the plate on top of your breakfast with nowhere to put it when eating the breakfast. The potato scone was not cooked, the pork sausage was foul and the scrambled egg was overcooked.

We cancelled breakfast for the next day and they refunded us for both days breakfast.

If you plan to go to the Rutland hotel, take the train and pass on the cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: not room 6
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I am a regular visitor to Edinburgh on business, and the Rutland is always my first choice hotel. The rooms are clean, bright and modern - the Executive Rooms on particular are very spacious and well appointed. The bathrooms are really good, I love the rainfall showers, and the fact that it took me until about my tenth stay to work out that the lighting around the mirror worked by 'touch' says more about me than it does about the hotel!! The complimentary muffin and shortbreads are a great touch - I always take them home to my wife, who raves about them!!

The location is perfect for my business appointments, also within easy walking distance of many great bars and restaurants. Despite being on a major intersection, I have never been bothered by road noise.

The staff are always delightful, very friendly, welcoming and helpful. All in all I would thoroughly recommend The Rutland to any business or leisure traveller to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Hi there,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm pleased you enjoy your time with us, and that you keep coming back for more!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind regards,