“Good family tour” 4 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
US$36.86*
and up
Edinburgh Historical Walking Tour Including Skip the Line Entry to Edinburgh...
Ranked #18 of 194 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: 'History is a damn good story, what it needs is a damn good telling!' We're a family business and simply love sharing Edinburgh's stories. We're the original, largest, and first 5 star walking tour company in Scotland giving guaranteed quality. With a warm welcome and our award-winning storytelling and tour routes, we'll help you explore and discover Edinburgh. Our expert guides offer a unique, memorable glimpse of our remarkable history. We promise: - Guaranteed departures, daily, year round - The smallest group size in the city - Exclusive access to Blair Street Underground Vaults - 'Family business' customer care Join us to visit: - Exclusive Blair Street Underground Vaults - Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, New Town, Palace of Holyroodhouse - Tours daytime and evening - Historical and ghostly Please get in touch and we'll help you choose the right tour for you.
Bedale
“Good family tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband had wanted to do the tour and I was a little wary for the children. We have a 6 & 8 year olds. They enjoyed the stories and the dark! We did have a good time and would recommend it. Our guide Lauren was a nice girl who was enthusiastic with her screams.

MercatToursLtd, Manager at Mercat Tours, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Many thakns for gettign in touch - we're dleighted you enjoyed your tour with Lauren and will pass on your compliments!

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

• Polish first
Williamson, NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great GhostTour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Ghost Tour of Old Edinburgh and the vaults under the South Street Bridge. Great stories and spooky locations. No hype just the facts.

Marsascala, Malta
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Ghosts and Ghouls tour - Better than Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

My better half had always wanted to go on one of these tours and I must admit I was sceptical as to whether the tour would be worth it. However I went with an open mind and am so glad I did. We went on the Ghosts and Ghouls tour and our guide was Hannah. I was dismayed that she had an English accent and was at first disappointed as I thought it would have been better presented by someone with a Scots accent. However, I was wrong in this regard as she did a very good job and gave us a great tour. It was very interesting and thoroughly enjoyable. At first you are taken around the general area of the Mercat Cross and told various stories after which you are taken down to the vaults. They are very atmospheric and at one point my wife insisted she felt a presence and refused to go into one of the rooms down there. After that part of the tour, those who pay a little extra are taken to a room within the vaults were you can have a seat and a drink and hear more stories. Personally I don’t believe in ghosts and wasn’t really scared but this was a good bit of fun with some good stories which were very well presented. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed this tour very much.

MercatToursLtd, Manager at Mercat Tours, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for taking time to review your tour with and we're so pleased you enjoyed it. We'll make sure Hannah receives your feedback - and we'll pass on your regards to Mr Boots too...

Make sure and keep in touch on facebook and twitter and we'll hopefully see you again soon.
scotland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Daytime Ghostly Underground Tour [mercat tours]”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Took this tour with Australian friends. Jared, the tour guide was excellent, articulate and informative. However, i think the tour loses out somewhat during the day as it is hard to recreate a spooky atmosphere in daylight. The tour took you to underground vaults, each of which had their own story/ghost. Our tour unfortunately started with 12 people, several of whom had English as their 2nd language and who persisted in chattering away to each other or speaking on their mobile phone and the group had somehow expanded to about 18 as we appeared to collect the extended families of the chatter merchants as the tour progressed. The tour guide did ask everyone to hold up their tickets on entering the vaults but at least 6 people "forgot" to produce their tickets. Tour costs £9 p.p. I would suggest an evening tour [ minus chatterboxes] would be better appreciated.

Visited March 2012
MercatToursLtd, Manager at Mercat Tours, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thanks for getting in touch and reviewing your tour with us.

I'm afraid, as much as we may wish we could, we can't discriminate against chatterboxes on our tours! Our guides always try to appeal to customer's better nature and control any disruption, which I'm glad you felt Jared did. Our daytime ghost tour was developed particularly for family audiences - you are obviously brave enough to prefer an evening tour in the dark! Perhaps our late night Hidden and Haunted tour, our adult-only ghost tour, would be best for you if you visit us again. And please remember to keep your ticket to receive your returner's discount when you do.
London
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Ghost and Ghouls Tour a bit of fun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

The trouble with ghost tours is that they must either be very scarey or funny with a cynical slant. This tour was okay and a fun way to spend an evening and there was much Edinburgh Horrible History stories but wasn't that scarey or funny (intentionally or otherwise). Older children who enjoy Horrible History would not have been frightened by this tour and may find it quite entertaining.
The visit to the vaults was, in particular, interesting but it could have been better. For example there was one 'haunted' vault that was supposed to be much colder that the other vaults. It wasn't colder but it was much damper and the atmosphere was cold and chilly. When walking into it from the dryer vaults, the air change from cold dry to cold humid did have the effect of suddenly feeling cold and damp against the skin - it could have felt like ghostly fingers reaching out and touching to any of that frame of mind. I didn't say anything at the time and no one else said anything but they may not have noticed. However, if we had all been set up to sort of what to expect before entering the vault, I am sure more would have had the same experience. (Note: I checked the vault wall and it was soaking wet as I expected - if the walls had been bone dry like the other vaults I would have been out of there sooo fast!!)

1 Thank MatureSoccerFan