“WEEKEND OF RUGBY”

A-Haven Townhouse Hotel
Ranked #107 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Went to Edinburgh this weekend to watch the rugby. As you can imagine prices where hiked up everywhere and after some searching found this gem of a B and B.
Prices were very reasonable and breakfast was very good.
The owners were very friendly and helpful. The place is also on a direct bus route only four stops away from city centre and has parking on site.
Double room was basic, though small but was very clean and well presented. They aslo cleaned the room inbetween days of stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Stayed here with a friend in July '11, once before that 5 years ago with relatives. David and the boys made it very welcoming with personal introduction and a wealth of information about Edinburgh, restaurants, places of interest and current events (like the Queen was in residence at Holyrood).
We stayed in the rooms in the back courtyard which were small but comfortable with ease of access. Car parking is available at the back but it is limited, so be sure to mention when booking if you need it. It's a plus as many places in Edinburgh do not have off street parking.
A Haven is well positioned for catching buses to either the city or Britannia (and the shopping centre there). The B & B is within easy walking distance to the many restaurants and pubs around the newly revitalised docks and canal area.
A very pleasant stay, both times.
Breakfasts are very nice and facilities are in rooms for making tea/coffee.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are more private and easier to lug luggage to.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2011

This bed and breakfast was like something out of a book, as was David, the caretaker. It was an old place so some wear and tear is to be expected but I thought it was well maintained and comfortable, and the service was beyond anything I could have expected. When we arrived David took us on a tour and showed us the breakfast room (so charming!) and the computer with internet access, which is available to guests free of charge. He carried my luggage up the stairs like a true gentleman and then showed us our room, which was very cozy. After we got settled in we asked him if he had any recommendations for a place to get some dinner and he was glad to direct us toward his favorite pub. The complimentary Highland Breakfast in the morning was definitely interesting (not for everybody), but if it's not for you they do have options (simple eggs, bacon and toast if you prefer). We were treated with first class service by David and his staff and he often went out of his way to ensure we were comfortable and that we knew which busses to take to get to our destination for the day, and he even broke our large bills for us so that we'd have exact change for our bus passes. The morning we left we had to be out before breakfast time to catch our train, so he made sure to set out cereal and juice for us so we wouldn't have to leave on en empty stomach. I will be sure to recommend this place to any friends or family who plan to travel to Edinburgh in the future.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katrinasaurus59
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Everything you've read in previous reviews about this place, I am glad to say is completely 100% true, this has got to be one of the most pleasant experiences I've ever had when staying in a hotel or B & B. Normally when I go away on short breaks or book overnight accommodation, I'd be content with the bare basic standards of customer service and cleanliness, so long as it was a place I could sleep and leave my case.

That was why I was pleasantly surprised when I was greeted by the host, David Kay, on my arrival at the A-Haven. You won't meet a nicer host than this man, he is very warm and welcoming, and treats you like family - nothing is too much trouble for him and he always makes sure you are looked after.

Breakfast provided at the A-Haven is wonderful. The Highland breakfast is absolutely delicious, cooked to order and presented beautifully - it's a must for when you stay here, and it does set you up for the rest of the day (you won't be hungry for a long time). However, if you feel it may be too much for you or you are a vegetarian, there are other options available to suit your needs.
During the breakfast service when David was talking with his guests ensuring everyone was ok and catered for, I observed how they would be asking his advice for things to see & do in Edinburgh, or directions to get somewhere and what impressed me was his vast knowledge of the city, he was never short of an answer. It left me thinking of him as being an "Edinburgh Oracle" who gives not just generic advice but specific advice to help make your stay in Edinburgh that bit easier, and thus more enjoyable.

In my opinion, David is the benchmark that B & B owners everywhere should be looking to aspire to. I would highly recommend A-Haven to anyone coming to Edinburgh for a short break, and wanting somewhere near the city centre but far enough away to escape the noise and hustle and bustle of it

As Aristotle would say "We are or we become that which we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit", and David has made his great customer service just that, habit. Great job, and keep up the fantastic work!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert2601
Reviewed 5 November 2011

At first, I was a bit dubious about my small second floor garret style room with only a skylight, but found it quite cozy after a cool, damp night. If I had stayed longer, it was just the sort of place I could have curled up with a book to pass the time on a rainy afternoon.

On the first morning, the shower had lots of piping hot water available at the turn of a knob. On the second morning, when I showered at 3 am to catch an early morning flight, there was no hot water even after I let the water run for several minutes. Brrr!!!

Wifi was available in breakfast area, but not in my room. Internet is available only from 9 am until 11 pm, unless special arrangements are made.

The curving stairs are steep and narrow (42 risers to my room), so I wouldn’t recommend this B&B to people who are uncomfortable with many steps. However, overall, it is a good value for the location.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2011

If you're looking for a quiet place in Edinburgh, not necessarily near the Castle, Leith is your area and A-Haven is your place.
David is a great guest, and the staff is amazing too.
Just follow his directions for buses or walks to the ocean or the shore.
If you need exact change for the buses, feel free to ask as we did every day.

The rooms are comfortable, both single and double, with shower and hair-dryer.
Must point out the breakfast, very scottish vith haggis and black pudding: delicious and helpful to stand the whole day walking around.

The B&B is quite well served by buses, just a couple of minutes from the park and the castle.
And it's very very quiet.

David, thanks again for the assistance and the wild haggis!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Luca C
Reviewed 4 October 2011

let me start by saying - i will be back here whenever i return to Edinburgh!

had been to edinburgh on vacation and booked this place based upon TA reviews, and man i was so thankful that i did! David and his staff does make the entire difference which makes or breaks your trip!

For a start - that it being away from the city center is not a concern at all due to a number of bus routes passing through rite in front of the hotel and also the walk to downtown being a lovely 20 min walk! also this area makes it easy for you to visit the harbor side of the city.
whatever - the location away from city-center is far superceded by the attention and quality of service.

rooms - nice quaint rooms; not too big - but adequate. clean bathrooms and nice windows offering view outside. free internet avlble in the room, but connection goes for a bit of toss at late nights.

unmissable - the breakfast! just close your eyes and go for the Highland Breakfast (unless ure a vegeterian ie) - fried aggs, potato scone, bacon, black-pudding & haggis! with tea/ coffee/ juice/ cereal..etc. freshly cooked and served to order...wonderful day-starter!

and defintiely...all thanks to Dave for making it a pleasant trip: from transport suggestions, to 'things to do' suggestion, gifting of a card-pack souvenir and the Scot humor...it definitely is well recommended to stay here!

Room Tip: If you have heavy kuggage, ask for rooms on lower levels (i.e. Level 1)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo