1,089 results
All reviews the club lounge platinum member pool and steam room calton hill high ceilings leisure facilities lovely hotel fire alarm duty manager city centre quiet location breakfast staff hotel is situated lovely room third floor large room princes street
Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews on here I was hesitant as to how we would get on but our expectations were exceeded. The hotel is situated in an elevated position overlooking the city, it’s on a really quiet road which means there is no noise which makes for a fantastic night’s sleep.

It is only a short 10 minute walk from The Playhouse and Omni Centre, then another 5/10 minutes onto Waverley station.

The room was really spacious and clean and because of the hotel’s elevated position the view was fabulous. We had no bath but the shower was amazing. The staff were really friendly and helpful, we all gave the breakfast a 10 out of 10.

We’ll be back!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2018

well i was thinking this was going to be rubbish after reading reviews prior to my visit.glad to say i was quite impressed at the service,food standard,for this event, the room set up was stunning. staff to be congratulated for there part in such a great night special mentions for Sam, Lisa, Angelica & Megan well done. its only letdown for me was the door attached to the ceiling of the function room. and the general condition of the hotel. that said i have heard that a refit of rooms etc is to start soon.

Room tip: book into another hotel
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

I have never written a review on trip advisor before but after my stay at the crowne plaza in Edinburgh I feel I need to warn people to avoid staying at this hotel until they get there act together.

I stay regularly at the crowne plaza in London and it is an excellent standard of accommodation and hospitality which you receive. I have stayed at the crowne plaza in Glasgow and many of the holiday inns throughout the UK and all are of a good standard.

I wanted to stay at this hotel because it had a swimming pool but when I got to the hotel they informed me that the pool is not in use at present. I was told that if I had read the small print on the website I would have seen this. I was so glad I was not the only person who doesn’t read the small print as their was another lady complaining about the same thing. The hotel was booked as a birthday treat for myself and daughter, as it was for her and her mother.

So after our initial disappointment we went to our room which despite being a little tired in decor, was a nice big room overlooking the lovely back gardens.

Some minor issues such as the windows couldn’t open and the air conditioning didn’t work.

I then tried to have a bath instead of a swim and there was no shampoo provided (another minor issue) until I requested it.

We went out for the evening and when we returned to the hotel it was locked and we couldn’t get in. We looked through the glass door and couldn’t see anyone on reception so we walked up the street to see if there was another entrance but couldn’t see any sign of life. I tried to call the hotel but there was no answer. Eventually after about 20 mins of standing about in the cold and darkness someone came back on to reception and we knocked the door to get their attention.

When I said that I had been waiting outside he replied “there’s a bell”...... however there’s no obvious sign to tell you that you should ring a bell after a certain time and you really don’t expect a 4star hotel to be locked! It wasn’t a B&B we were staying at. The attitude of the man was appalling and not even slightly apologetic for our inconvenience.

Then to top it off the pillows in the room were lumpy and the sheets smelled of bleach and because the air conditioning didn’t work the room was hot and stuffy. I have difficulty sleeping at the best of times and I didn’t sleep a wink.

The whole experience was a total disappointment and I would not recommend this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Jaxy D
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2018

So sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Once we had confirmed dates for the refurbishment and closure of the swimming pool, we updated our website and I am very sorry that you did not receive this information. All the other points will be discussed with the team and changes made so that we improve our service
regards
Robert

Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

Went for afternoon tea and it was served in a rather unfashionable and unclean room in the hotel. The tea tray was served eventually and when I reminded them there was one vegetarian they took sandwiches away and said I hadn’t orders it (which I had) and they returned some poor standard sandwiches which included ham!! The scones were nice and some of the cakes pleasant enough. It was very basic and made worse by very grumpy staff. They never once asked how we were and if they could help.and when I asked to take away uneaten food, you’d have thought I’d asked for something obscure...unfortunately I wouldn’t recommend it.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

We purchased a Groupon coupon for afternoon tea, nothing wrong with that, as we have had superb teas through this means. Sadly this was not one of them. Shown to our table by a pleasant waiter, however the young lady who appeared to be in charge was miserable and very abrupt. A smile would have been nice, she pointed to a card on the table with the drinks menu, very basic choice. We waited about ten minutes before she returned, no explanation as to what was offered for eating, just plonked down, had to ask for milk. The food itself was very dull and I doubt little was home baked. The bread was supermarket sliced and not presented at all well. Scones were OK as was the jam and cream. The sweet selection unimaginative, flapjacks so dry and hard that you could have hammered a nail in with them, some slice which was unrecognisable, tiny fruit tarts which along with the macarons were OK. At no time were we asked if everything was OK, nor were we asked if we required refills of our tea. Disappointing and we would not return or recommend.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank happytraveller088