“Lovely, family run Bistro”

Cramond Gallery Bistro
Ranked #1,151 of 2,777 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

As a regular customer to the Bistro, I am never disappointed. Always welcomed with a lovely smile and a tasty, freshly made scone. The Bistro can get extremely busy at peak times, especially on a nice day and the staff can be run off their feet but still always provide a friendly service to their credit. I have been visiting the bistro for over 10 years and will continue to do so. By far the best cafe in the area with a lot of history which the owners are happy to chat about if you are interested.

Having read some of the negative reviews on here I find it a shame that people have attacked the Bistro so personally. There are busy periods and unfortunately the staff can only do so much in the small area they have. Sometimes there is a short wait for service or a table but I can assure you it’s worth the wait!

1  Thank hlan123

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Staff super friendly, very cozy spot close to the river, perfect for a nice snack or coffee before a long walk! Will be back with friends for sure!

2  Thank Hugo P
Reviewed March 28, 2018 via mobile

Delicious hot chocolate, was just right with the whipped cream, yum. The scone was dry and a bit tasteless, not the best. But still a pleasant visit, nice staff, lovely view.

2  Thank Resort760700
Reviewed March 25, 2018 via mobile

My kids and I popped into the Cramond Gallery Bistro to grab a bite yesterday afternoon. It was busy and I joined the queue and when it was my turn I asked the lady behind the counter if we could get a table. I noticed that her expression seemed to harden suddenly when she saw me. She told me that there were no tables available and that there was a lady waiting for it. The lady who was waiting for a table, had apparently been waiting for a while.

I then asked the lady if we could order some food. She told me that was possible if we had a table and could order via table service. I then asked her if the best option would be for me to order take away. She stated that would depend upon what I ordered and seemed very impatient. She asked me what I was looking to order and I said sandwiches. She then said, quite abruptly, that there was no hot food or any food being served and that the cafe was closing in 15 minutes. They only had coffees and cakes, which was a fair statement except that I would have preferred her to be welcoming, respectful and professional in her demeanour.

I looked to see if there was a menu board and asked where I could see my options for coffee and cake and she said that the menu had it and to look for it. I then asked if we could get a piece of chocolate cake, to which she said that I needed to get table service and there was no table available.

I noticed that she repeated herself a few times, as though I couldn't understand and she needed to make herself clear. The lady who had been waiting for a table left and I was aware of slowly getting angry. At this point, a mum behind me told me that a table had just become available. I then told the lady who was supposedly serving me that I would like that table. She then, interestingly, said that the other lady had been waiting for it. The mum behind me pointed out that the lady was no longer waiting and had left. The lady then said,"It's a shame that the other lady left as she had been waiting for this table and it's now free." She still didn't ask me to have the table.One of her colleagues told me I could use that table and I was asked to wait for table service.

Cut to ten minutes later and the kids and I continued to wait for service and noticed waitresses milling about, serving customers and clearing tables. They were very focused on the few other tables in that room and didn't approach us. This was a very small room too. I asked a waitress who was headed towards the table behind us, if it was possible for someone to take our order. She told us quite rudely that they were very busy and I said that I could see that. She then came by a few minutes later in a manner that exuded disinterest and asked what we wanted. I asked for a menu and she told me quite abruptly that the menu was at the counter. I told her I was informed by her colleague that there would be table service and there was only one menu. I wondered if I was supposed to then memorise all that we wanted from the menu and then place an order. Table service, in my book and what is the accepted norm, usually means being handed a menu and someone taking an order, with the food then being brought over to said table.

I stood up, asked the kids to get up too and told her that the instructions weren't clear. I was aware of being very close to tears, feeling very sad and angry. The waitress stated very rudely that she didn't understand what I said. I then asked her if she didn't understand what I said or hadn't explained myself clearly. She didn't say anything and continued to stare at me very rudely. I explained again and said that I was told there was table service and there was only one menu at the counter. She continued to be rude. I was very aware of her continued disinterest and irritation. I told my kids we were leaving and we left.

Being busy doesn't equal needing to be curt. ALL customers need to be treated with respect, not just Caucasian folk who stop by. Also, once we were seated, noticed that the waitresses were busy and no one made any eye contact and came to take our order, when asked if someone could take our order since we now had a table, the appropriate response should have been - apologies, we will be with you as soon as we can. It shouldn't have been "we are busy".

I was another customer as were my kids. The staff need training in customer service and we live around this area. They also need to look into diversity and equality training and check their biases towards people who are different to them.

I am appalled and frustrated that the lady who first attempted to serve us and failed miserably, decided to repeat herself a few times. This shows complete ignorance towards different accents and also the differences in treatment received between us and the other Caucasian folk.

We will not be visiting this place ever again.

33  Thank Pavithra S
Reviewed February 26, 2018

We came here after our picnic was snowed off the beach, looking for a hot cup of tea, we were immediately met with cold distaste at our picnic basket and birthday cake which we had no intention of eating in their establishment. The wait staff treated us with contempt and we felt unwelcome in what we thought would be a lovely cafe.
If you are looking for a nice cafe in Crammond I would reccomend the Walled Garden just a short walk down the river.

10  Thank livicharlo