I spent a Saturday night in a clean and comfortable sixth floor room at the rear of the hotel with a splendid view of the Forth with its bridges and Fife in the distance.
The excellent location, highly convenient for numerous restaurants, pubs and entertainment venues in the immediate vicinity, does of course mean a lot of traffic by day and people at night, so I was delighted to find virtually zero traffic noise despite constant activity in the busy street outside.
The room was on the small side but pleasantly decorated and equipped with flat screen TV, sofa, comfortable bed, choice of pillows, and a spotless shower room which appeared recently refurbished.
As I primarily used the hotel as a place to crash out after a night out, I was keen on a Sunday morning lie-in. OK, so I was in no shape for breakfast. Unfortunately, while the bed was comfortable enough the lie-in didn't really happen due to people tramping on very squeaky floorboards in the corridor and even normally-pitched conversation from the early risers next door was highly audible. Bring your ear plugs.
A combination of the central location and generally high demand in Edinburgh must add a premium to the price. Even though I didn't pay the rack rate, I still found the price (booked on Holiday Inn web site) was slightly hefty for a solo stay - probably OK for two - but for me this is simply good, clean, business class accommodation, no more, no less.
The one thing I would note is that the offhand attitude of the member of staff who dealt with my checkout certainly left a slightly bad taste in the mouth. That's a shame as I'd otherwise recommend the hotel for convenient city centre stay, although you should look closely for the best deals or consider other options.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Free Internet Access and Free Hot Breakfast. Simply ask for an internet voucher at check in. The hotel offers continental breakfast buffet plus two daily hot options. Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre is a 5 minute walk to Princes Street & a 10 minute walk to the Royal Mile. Located near the St James Shopping Centre & Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre. The hotels offers free luggage storage and has designated smoking bedrooms. All bedrooms & public areas have high-speed wired & wireless internet access provided by Swisscom. All rates include complimentary EXPRESS START breakfast for all persons. The hotel is within walking distance of Waverley Railway Station and St Andrews Square Bus Station. The Airlink 100 Bus goes from Waverely Bridge to Edinburgh Airport in 25-minutes. Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre is located near Broughton Street, George Street & Queen Street. The hotel is across from the Omni Centre with a choice of restaurants & a Vue Cinema. This Edinburgh City Centre hotel is a perfect choice if you are looking for a base near Edinburgh Castle, The Real Mary Kings Close , Edinburgh Dungeons and Holyrood or for events at Murryfield Stadium, Corn Exchange, Hearts Football Club, Hibernian Football Club or Meadowbank Stadium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, IHG, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca, Priceline, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre Hotel Edinburgh
- Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre Scotland