“Fab hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dundee
“Fab hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in January and wish we could have stayed longer. Room was great. Breakfast was great. Annette was lovely and couldnt do enough for us. Great advice on places to eat, transport, etc. We will defintely be back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kat2511
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
Short, Sweet and very Complete, thank you.

P.s looks like enough space is left for one of my shortest Poems..

When I here my Children Call ! ?

Then I know that that is ALL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Hebrew first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

booked for 2 nights via last minute as attending the Scotland England 6 nations rugby match at murrayfield. Cost was £55 per night including breakfast for a single en suite room.
The welcome was very warm - the owners gave out a map with a lot of useful info. The hotel was spotless, the room was modern warm, lovely shower/ bathroom. there was free wifi. The hotel had a bar and was centrally located 10 minute bus rise from city centre (£1.30 each way).
Breakfast freshly cooked and plentiful with a good selection of cereals etc
Cannot fault it at all.
Note the stairs are quire steep and there isnt a lift - so if you cant do stairs then you need a ground floor room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
A Hidden Gem, well this Guest certainly has given us a Little Sparkler of a review, tee hee hee, thank you for that, sometimes when we work seven days a week we forgett what day or week-end it is but it is reviews like this one that keeps us and the Staff trying to achieve a good Holiday Stay for all our Guests..

Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

Booked this place for 4 nights in January, deliberately selected so I wasn't on top of everything and couldn't have picked better. I walk as much as possible and it took me about 20 minutes to get right into town, by bus it's about half that and the public transport is efficient and cheap so excellent if you have luggage to transport. The welcome is friendly and warm and arms you with a map complete with a colour coded guide to local eateries, the bus routes and other helpful info. The room I was in was delightful, lovely high ceilings and comfy beds, a freeview tv, wifi and en suite bathroom with the best shower! Breakfast is fab, a buffet of pastries, toast, fruit and cereal as well as hot drinks and juices, in addition you can have any of a selection of about half a dozen cooked breakfasts, from a full scottish to waffles and bacon. All in all a brilliant little hotel with the perfect combination of home run hospitality and the little touches you get in a big chain. I for one with definitely be back!

Room Tip: I was at the front of the building and as there are several hotels on the road, there were quite a f...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Home Run Hospitality, gives me a warm feeling inside to know that is what this Guest thought of our Hotel and Staff and great to know that all the renovations works we have carried out over our 13yrs here are noticed, all our rooms in the Hotel and Bar Lounge areas have completely brand new Cornice Works which I believe is mostly unseen but adds to the character of this old Town House Building.

The reviewer also compliments us on the modern feel to the Hotel with all the little things that make up a good stay, wi-fi, freeview, great Power Showers etc and not forgetting the Waffles and Bacon, sshhh don’t tell anyone but Annette is thinking of adding Eggs Benedict to our Breakfast menu..

Maxx
Hilversum, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

This is a very good hotel to stay in your visit to Edinburgh. A family run business, it has a special atmosphere. When checking in I found out that the internet would not work at the room because the socket was broken and Alex kindly moved me to another room where I could use the service without troubles. The rooms, though a little bit small are very clean and nicely decorated and the quality of sleep that I had was great!
Breakfast was fantastic. With a wide choice and prepared when ordered so impossible to start the day in a better way.
Only downside is the location of the hotel, which is a little bit aside from the main attractions. Nevertheless, this is called out in the description of the hotel so no surprises here. Also, you can get to the center in 10 minutes by bus or in 25 after a healthy walk.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
This Guests refers to our special atmosphere I can only suppose it is my 15 Year Old Bowmore Whisky that I like and serve, tee hee heee, seriously it is fantastic when we are thought of like that because we are just being typically Scottish. The one thing that we do like to offer our Guests is a Two Hour period to enjoy their Breakfasts and also we think it is important that the Breakfast is cooked to order so it should be very tasty indeed..

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

From our early AM arrival from the overnight train from London my boyfriend & I were warmly welcomed by the staff at the Ceilidh-Donia by not only having our room ready but also treated us to breakfast before falling asleep in our room. Breakfast by far, was the best number of hot selections I have seen in a good while, ranging from traditional Scottish, to vegetarian to an American breakfast (included a bagel I believe)! The staff were able to provide us with all information we needed to get to "downtown" Edinburgh (about a 10 minute bus ride away) and local restaurant suggestions. One night our television failed to work and someone came up quickly to fix and swap for another which was much appreciated. While the hotel was a little further out from the center/centre than I normally would have preferred, the staff were kind, friendly and made me forget about it. Our room that faced the front of the building (which wasn't a problem as Marchhall Crescent was quiet) was much more spacious than I anticipated, cleaned very well and the bathroom had all new fixtures. If I ever return to Edinburgh I will strongly consider going back!! Thank you!

Room Tip: Even though a front facing room may seem like it may be noisy it isn't!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
When Guests arrive after a very early start in the morning and arrive at the Hotel looking a bit jaded it really is a pleasure to offer food or drink to help revive them as i know when i travel these things are not always supplied or available. The great thing about running your own Wee Hotel is that you can be totally flexible for the Guests different needs on arrival..

Great to know that the breakfast was very tasty and that the choice on offer appealed to their pallet, I am an Electrician to Trade and love also being the Hotel's handyman when needed so swapping the television was no absolutely no Problemo..

Alnwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I am a father of two from Northumberland and i was recommended by a friend to stay at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. I have stayed in some nice, hospitable hotels in Edinburgh with my wife and family previously and was more than happy to take this recommendation. The staff were extremely welcoming and helpful and made my wife and I's romantic weekend away all the more enjoyable. The hotel was within suitable walking distance from local sites and the facilities at the hotel were of an exceptional standard. I would recommend Hotel Ceilidh-Donia to friends and anyone looking to stay in Edinburgh. And i very much look forward to staying there again next time we visit this beautiful Scottish city!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I thank this reviewer for his generous comments about the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, when Father's and Mothers have time to get away for a treat we hope that our Wee Hotel can help them to relax into a great break and very glad to see that they enjoyed the walk into our beautiful City of Edinburgh..

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends. I came across this hotel after arriving in Edinburgh after a 36 hour long hall trip from Australia. I found the owner of this hotel to be very polite and extremely helpful. The rooms were clean and surprisingly big and the double bed was comfortable and cosy. The bus stop is a short walk around the corner and from there the trip into the city only takes a couple of minutes. Stay in this hotel and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Ben S
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
I thank this Guest for their thoughtful review, having just come back from a short trip to London, 4-00am Taxi, Plane, Train, Tube and then a decent walk to our Hotel arriving at 9-00am and then feeling totaly whacked, to then be told we could not go to our rooms for another 4 hours or even get a Beer as we had no Room Key etc , i resloved to again try harder for our Guests when they arrive.

36 Hours traveling is like for me going to Mars n back, so for the weary travelers who come to the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia and cant go to their rooms on arrival there is now a free drink (wine, beer, coffee etc) of your choice on arrival day, and all included in our Hotel bedroom prices.

Maxx