“Like going home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Like going home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed everyone. The room was huge, the bed was massive and very comfortable. Coffee, tea, water and a treat is left for you each night. The shower was great and clean. The breakfast is second to none, my husband is still talking about it! We had a hire car and found parking in the street every night bar one, but in the very next street we got a park. We would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor room #3 it was huge and quiet with a view to the back yard.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
When Guests stay for Five nights they certainly will get a good feel for Edinburgh and our Wee Hotel and it is indeed a pleasure for us as we can get to know people a bit more, of course it does leave chance to sometimes make things go wrong, we are delighted that this reviewer found us a great place to stay, and great to know that they felt like it was just like Home.

Maxx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Hebrew first
Florianopolis, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I couldnt have chosen a better hotel to stay at Edinbourgh. Great place, friendly hosts, nice room with mountain views, very clean, good amenities, tasty breakfast. Its about 25 min walk to the centre village, or a 8 min bus ride, its a quiet neighborhood, no noise at all from the streets.
I very recommend Ceilidh-Donia!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow, this reviewer gets everything so succinctly put in such a few words, thank you for a great review, and I will make sure the Mountain is still here for you should you come back again..

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

The hotel is gorgeously furnished, and the single room I had made me jump with joy! It was a spacious loft room, with a equally comfy en suite toilet. It was more than large enough for one person! The room was well stocked with tea and cookies, plus the heated towel racks are a great bonus.

The operator is are all very friendly, always made me feel welcome.

I was surprised when I first took a cab to the hotel that it was some minutes away from the train station. But the operator soon shown me several easy public transport routes to the city center, so the hotel is still quite well connected. And the location is also a great bonus, as it offered me a very peaceful night's sleep, plus a great place for a early morning jog.

Definitely hope to return.

Room Tip: Get the loft room!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank MaryT228
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
It is terrific when a Traveller thinks that we and our Hotel helped them to enjoy their Trip to Edinburgh and Scotland, Edinburgh and Indeed Scotland on a World Scale are not very big but they can take you a Lifetime to explore.

Yes indeed as this reviewer says we are not City Center proper but we are very well connected to the City Center by Buses which are just 2 mins walk away, this Bus service is continually voted the UK's best Bus system, the Hotel is just at the edge of the City Center and is easily walked in 15 – 20 minutes to the Heart of The Edinburgh Festivals and its main attractions during the month of August which are now based mainly around our University and its environs..

Ede, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Our home-away-from-home in Edinburgh. Ceilidh-Donia meets the high standards and comfort of a hotel and has the coziness and 'feeling home' of the best B&B's. Highly recommendable ! Thanks for the hospitality Max (writes fabulous poems, too), Annette and team, we will return here on our next trip to Edinburgh.

1 Thank MKEDE69
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
A Home away from Home, what a lovely comment from this reviewer and also very glad he liked my Poems, The Hotel ceilidh-Donia actualy means the Place for Friends to Gather and I hope that we can achieve that feeling for all Guests who come to my Beatiful City Edinburgh and Scotland.

Guam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

The hotel isn't that difficult to find if using the local bus system. My stay was very comfortable and homey. Breakfast was great. Room wasn't too small nor was it too big. Ceilings were high and felt nice. Bathroom was adequate, enough space to do the cleaning ritual. Towel warmer was nice. Maxx and Annette are splendid owners. My wife and I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: No elevator/lift for those having difficulty with stairs, but there is/are rooms on the ground floor...
1 Thank eyeheartjune
There is no better compliment than when a new Guest says that they will come back and stay with us and this Guest has made my day a lot brighter than the weather is outside, the last three years has seen the Hotel Trade and I suppose all Business adapting to the Internet review sites, we in the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia appreciate Guests views after they have left although it was hard to get used to in the beginning.

I feel even more connected to Travellers who leave reviews when they have so many choices of destination in this wonderful World to choose from, we really do read all reviews and answer them and take on board all comments and very glad to know that they will return to us in the future..

Derry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel because of a) the high rating and good reviews and b) the location (away from the buzz of the centre but easy walking distance and good bus links).
During booking I requested a quiet room on the top floor, away from stairs. On arrival, I was delighted to be given what I asked for, so great start. We stayed 3 nights.
The room (Room 12) was very comfortable and clean and had a great view to Arthur's Seat. The en-suite was small but perfectly adequate.
Breakfast was delicious each morning with friendly service and a great variety of freshly cooked options plus cereals, fruit, toast etc. I loved the banana bread and shortbread ;)
It was very helpful to have free access to the internet in the reception area as we don't travel with laptops, iphones etc. The hotel also supplies a great wee map with useful info on buses, sights, nearby restaurants etc.
The only reason I can't award 10/10 is sleep quality. I had no problems getting to sleep at night but I was awake early each morning due to noise from the showers and extractor fans in nearby rooms. Infact on one morning this began at 5.30am! There appeared to be noise from the attic pipes above us too, which could sound really loud at times (almost like a really loud hoover!)
However, I feel that overall, the many positives outweigh this small negative and I do appreciate that some noise must be expected when residents are getting up at different times.
I would definitely stay here again so I suppose that speaks for itself!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

This was a great place to stay for a quick weekend. The breakfast is fantastic and Annette is very helpful. She gave us directions to sight-see and restaurant recommendations - our favorite was the Salisbury Arms (wonderful lunches and dinners). The bathroom in the room that we had was a little too small for our liking, but we managed, and the rest of the room was great. We really enjoyed our stay and would go back in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Aha Annette and Janet’s Breakfast is hitting the spot again, they really do take pride in all breakies that they serve and soon we will offer our Guests a petite all day Continental Breakfast for those Guests who want a long stay in bed while on a Holiday.

When have been continually renovating this Old Hotel for 13 years now and we know that what was an OK bathroom in 1999 size wise is no longer good enough so we have a rolling programme to enlarge where possible all our bathrooms

We have just carried out a full refurbishment of one of our Rooms and taken away an adjoining small bedroom enabling us to make this new bathroom light and airy, we intend to make another 4 bathrooms larger by October this year and in so doing make our Guests stay more enjoyable.