All reviews shampoo conditioner short bus family room continental breakfast stayed for nights would stay again twin room fringe festival guesthouse buses wardrobe
Reviewed December 15, 2016 via mobile

We booked this guesthouse through a search on Expedia. Anyone with children know you have to specify number and age. So we are traveling with a baby and this guest house came up. We have recently had some excellent experiences with guest houses so we decided to book as the price was reasonable. In the notes for "any special requests" we noted a Cot bed. We received a lovely email off the venue after booking where I asked if it would be ok to make some random requests that come with traveling with a baby (for example, refilling flasks, putting breast milk in a fridge etc), in which the reply was lovely and very accommodating.

On arrival the place seemed a bit dated but that didn't bother us as places realistically can't look pristine all of the time. We were allowed in our room early which allowed us to do many of the tasks needed before going out with our baby. The room we were given was a family room - one double bed m, two single beds and no Cot bed. Me and my husband have never slept our baby in anything other than a Cot/Moses basket so were worried about this, especially as we had noted it as a request (we could have booked elsewhere if this request was not able to be met, that would not have been a problem). We also noticed the beds seemed to sink in the middle. The bathroom was a bit minging but again, I think it was more it was desperate for updating.

Upon our return in the evening we both wanted a shower but had to wait 30 mins between each one as the water wasn't draining and filled the shower cubicle after just one shower. The room was also far too hot but opening the windows exposed you to busy traffic noises. Neither of us slept very well as both of us were worried about our baby - we tucked her sleeping bag in such a way she wouldn't be able to move much but the sink in the bed was particularly concerning. I also requested if we could put our babies milk (expressed breast milk) in a fridge and this was easily accommodated. I also requested whether our ice pack could be put in the freezer. It was made very clear that the person on reception did not want to accommodate this so we left it (and subsequently had to risk our babies milk going off the next day when traveling home as no ice pack in the carrier we had).

Cooked breakfast was an extra £5 per person and had to be pre ordered. It was very nice.

Overall the staff were very nice on the whole, the place was easy to find and on a bus route, but was very dated and looked dirty as a result. I would not recommend this guesthouse to anyone and would not return here myself. In advance of arriving, I thought the price we paid was very reasonable. After being there had we paid any more I would have demanded a partial refund.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank SelbLou
Arden_Management, Manager at Arden Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2016

I am sorry that your stay with us was not the best, and am saddened because your experience could have been so much better if you had talked to us. Please let me explain. Yes your reservation indicated a child would be coming. This can be any age up to 16, so I did not automatically expect a baby. The booking information we received made no mention of a baby or a need for a cot. Some parents prefer a small child to sleep with them, so I was unsurprised. One could have been provided in minutes. Too hot - the radiators are individually controlled and could have been turned down by the guest. For the freezer pack, it was commented on that the freezer is in the garage and this was immediately responded to by the guest to say it was not necessary. There was no reluctance on our part. Shower tray - again, please tell us, This could have been sorted. The décor is showing signs of the hard long season and all will be re-decorated in the off-season. We do try our best, for everyone, including babies. I am sure every BnB will prefer to know what is wrong at a time when it can be put right.

Reviewed November 27, 2016 via mobile

I travel a lot for business and leisure and I was unfortunately disappointed with my stay at Arden Lodge. I just felt the place was simply not worth £75 for one night at all (additional payment for cooked breakfast). A family room was all that was available which had one double bed and two single beds - I asked, and if other guests joined me in my room it was an additional £10 per person. This was after some deliberation as it depended on the rate I paid.

The shower was roaring boiling water - it took over 10 mins to get it at a bearable temperature - by this point the shower tray was filling up. In the shower was a pointless metal shelf, it's blatantly obviously it needs binned. It's extremely grubby looking and not what I want to be washing beside.

I was so surprised to see the awards on the wall downstairs...especially after seeing my head board coated in dust. I was extremely cold during the night, I turned the radiator on which unfortunately didn't heat up. I mentioned this in the morning during check out, and the lady reminded me how to turn a radiator on...! Possibly should be already set for guests on arrival so they don't unexpectedly wake up freezing cold during the night? Not what I expected to be honest.

The lady was polite enough and I appreciate her efforts but personally for half the price (if booked in advance) you can stay at the Travel lodge which is 5 mins closer to town which is certainly worth the money. When I checked in the lady explained the breakfast procedure if I required a cooked breakfast. I just wanted to leave the following morning so I didn't have any breakfast so can't comment on it.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
7  Thank Byrne327
Reviewed October 2, 2016

This was a comfortable guest house right on the bus route into the city of Edinburgh. It was clean and had a nice comfortable bed. The shower was not the best as the power was very weak could just be typical of an old electric shower.
A good variety of things for breakfast - continental was in with the price but a cooked breakfast could be had for an additional cost of £5.
We were able to park our car which I always see as a bonus.
On the whole a good wee place to stay that met our needs.

Stayed: October 2016
2  Thank Bev239
Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

Had a short stay here in Edinburgh in unfortunate circumstances, this small family owned guest house were more than accommodating and understanding of our needs, rooms although could use a spruce up had everything you'd expect and we're clean and comfortable. Excellent cooked breakfast for a £5 supplement to room rate well worth it and also the continental breakfast which is included has a wide variety of choice

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Nick A
Reviewed July 15, 2016

This was a spur-of-the-moment, last minute booking, we decided on a few days in Edinburgh before the Festival Silly Season gets under way. We couldn't find a room in b&bs we have used in the past, we landed on the Arden by chance, I'm glad we did.
This is a genuine, traditional, homely guest house. It makes no 'designer' or 'boutique' pretensions, it just offers comfortable, convenient accommodation and excellent food.
It has two major advantages before you even reach the front door. For anyone approaching Edinburgh from the south the location is ideal, it is very easy to find and it is on a direct bus route into the city centre with a bus stop just steps from the house.
And it has a car park. Previously we have stayed nearer to the city centre. A number of the 3- and 4-storey town houses along Dalkeith Road have been converted into good guest houses; but you have to take pot luck on street parking, and it can be a problem. At the Arden we were able to park off-road.
We had room 1, which is small - we were warned of that - and has the tiniest shower room I have ever used. But it is very well equipped, with a coffee machine as well as tea-making, good TV, a nice selection of toiletries.
I understand that the other rooms are larger, the lesson for next time is that we won't leave booking to the last minute! The room was fine for a short break, the beds were very comfortable and there was lots of storage space which is useful.
Breakfast is superb. A Continental-style buffet breakfast is included in the basic room rate, and the choice is excellent, with an impressive selection of pastries, croissants, homemade cakes, and lots of yoghurts and fresh fruit, as well as cereals, cheeses.
The cooked breakfast is £5 extra, and the differential seems fair as a lot of people don't necessarily want it. It's worth every penny! Beautifully cooked, and very generous portions.
Plus, and it's a BIG plus - Classic FM plays in the breakfast conservatory, instead of the standard issue awfulness of radio 2.
We definitely plan to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple