“2nd time and loved it - shame there's no residents bar though”
Review of Tigerlily Hotel

Tigerlily Hotel
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This was my second time staying in the hotel and we had a wonderful stay. It really is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are incredible. Very luxurious and spacious. We stayed in a junior suite.

Service was excellent and the staff were all pleasant and helpful. I’d e-mailed before arriving asking for early check in and a room on the 3rd floor and the hotel were able to provide both for us which was great.

We also had lunch in the hotel restaurant which was delicious, as was our room service breakfast – although they did forget things like salt, sauce and cutlery meaning the poor member of staff had to make 2 trips each time. A minor issue, but an irritating one.

The only thing that, for me, would really improve a stay in Tigerlily – and the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 - would be a quieter bar for residents. I was there with my mum and it would have been nice to come back from the theatre on a Saturday night and have a couple of cocktails before bed. The bar is lovely but not the type of place you can ever have a quiet drink in, or even get a seat in. We even struggled to find a seat at 5pm on the Saturday before we went out for the evening. I’ve seen a number of reviewers comment on this aspect of their stay and its something that would make a huge difference. I’ve stayed in many excellent hotels – this is the only one with no public space for residents.

Despite that, we have already booked to come back for a weekend as we love the rooms and the location. Staying here you definitely feel spoiled and we’re keen to repeat the experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pickynic

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I was travelling with a group of 12 persons and we booked this lovely, hip and boutique hotel in Edinburgh. I last stayed in this same hotel when I visited Edinburgh about 2 years back. The location is near perfect within walking distance of the centre of the city of Edinburgh and also walking distance to the old part of town. The Tigerlily is a lovely small and intimate hotel. Reasonable rates for the size of rooms (which are generally large and clean with varying "themes") and the breakfast is impeccable. The reception staff are most helpful and courteous too. In the evenings, the lobby gets very crowded and busy (and noisy) with all sorts of yuppies coming in for drinks. All in all, a very good stay again and kudos to the staff and management. The only one criticism I have is that the wireless Internet access in the rooms is very weak and slow.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2012

From the outset, I must stress that the bedrooms here are truly divine (as outlined by other reviewers). The 'breakfast in bed' option is also a bonus.

However, this is somewhat overshadowed by the bar/restaurant/club downstairs, which seems to be of main importance to all concerned at the hotel. When you check in, you are dealt with at a desk by staff who have one eye on the bar area behind them (and ear pieces to communicate with the table staff)- it's unlikely that you'll ever have their full attention when staying here; the hotel part seems secondary. We arrived 5 hours before check-in time and, whilst waiting for the sun to come out, warmed up on one of the sofas in the bar area (it was empty, but with 4 or 5 staff members present)- not once did a member of staff come over to offer us anything to eat or drink. They barely acknowledged our presence.

This hotel has no public spaces (when I say 'public', I mean for use of hotel patrons only)- the bar/restaurant/club is for anyone who rolls in off the street- and you will find that it will be heaving on Friday and Saturday nights (we were lucky in having a quieter room at the front- but some of the rooms will be badly affected by the noise).

If you don't like being 'thanked' by the bouncer when you pop out in the evening (as you might when leaving any generic nightclub) and then have to show your ID to the bouncer to get back into your hotel later that night, don't stay here! I'm not sure the door staff are even aware it's a hotel.

It's all such a shame because the rooms are splendid.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chicken_Dinosaur
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Have stayed here a few times now, but on my last visit I had the privilege of staying in their magnificent Georgian Suite. There are no superlatives to adequately cover how good it is. Simply a "wow" experience. Tiger lily's attention to detail and luxury touches are literally world class.

Room Tip: Don't worry about it at all, ALL of the rooms are absolutely stunning
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank David D
Reviewed 22 April 2012

we went on fri.it was very good both the service and the wide range of food we went for the £15 lunch offer. It was very good. We will go again when we are in Edinbrugh.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed for an evening at Tigerlily with family to celebrate my son's 21st Birthday, we had such a fabulous time.
Tigerlily's interiors are beautiful and the bedrooms did not disappoint. The staff are very professional and as it was my son's 21st they (without being intrusive) added a few special touches to our evening.
Our meal was excellent with our party ordering various choices, each one was delicious and thoroughly enjoyed by all, the steaks were very good, as was the sea bass. Our waiter - Max, was extremely efficient and very pleasant.
The younger members of our party enjoyed the nightclub downstairs and my husband and I enjoyed drinks in the bar, unfortunately at a certain time the lights were turned up full and although a member of staff asked us if we were residents there was nowhere we could sit away from staff cleaning and bright lights! A little quiet corner with subdued lighting would have been very much appreciated. We moved into the beautiful Georgian Room as the lights were dimmed in there and the fire was on, sadly they turned the lights up in there too, we were the only people in and we felt uncomfortable, so went to bed.
We slept well in Tigerlily's very comfortable beds and enjoyed showers with complimentary White Company toiletries and there were even GHD hair straighteners in every room!
Breakfast on the whole was good, most of my party chose 'full Scottish', I however chose french toast, bacon and maple syrup, my bacon was extremely over cooked which was a little disappointing.
On the whole it was a very pleasant stay and I will return to Tigerlily when next in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Tigerlily and we had an excellent time. The room was modern with a huge comfy bed, a full length mirror for getting ready, robes, slippers and lovely smellies in the bathroom. The walk in shower was one of the best we have experienced in a hotel.

We loved the fact that we could order breakfast in our room for no extra cost, always a bonus when you want to make the most of a lie in on your stay! The breakfast was lovely.

We were lucky enough to get a fantastic deal for dinner bed and breakfast, and I have to say the food was delicious. The waiter who served us at dinner was very friendly provided a brilliant service. We did not feel rushed at all, just perfect. The only criticism we have is that what we paid for dinner bed and breakfast, we would normally have paid just for the room only and in the current climate we do not think we would ever spend that kind of money for a room only offer.

We had an amazing stay, well worth the money we paid, but we certainly would not return unless we got another deal like that!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple