“Nice modern hotel close to the centre”

Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #20 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The breakfast was excellent; albeit more geared towards meat eaters than veggies such as myself. My non-veggie girlfriend loved hers though! Clean, modern and nicely located with very helpful staff. Downsides: no free WiFi in the rooms which these days is a bit odd, certainly for a hotel like this. No complaints whatsoever though. The location is close enough to the center of the city, but on a nice quiet street. Would definitely stay again on my next Edinburgh visit, and have recommended it for friends.

Room Tip: No bad ones in the hotel as far as I'm aware!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
MWalker13, Guest Relations Manager at Ten Hill Place, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

We are grateful for you taking time to place your comments on Trip Advisor. Delighted you enjoyed your stay. We provide wi-fi in our bar area and hope to extend this to the rooms in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,837)

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Spent two nights at this wonderful hotel, located close to the royal mile but away from all the noise because it is situated on a side street. All major attractions, the train station, and restaurants are within walking distance or if you not a fan of walking like my wife the bus stops are few steps away.

Though we were advised the check-in time was at 3 pm, we got to Edinburgh early and thought we could leave our baggage at the reception and do some sight seeing but they let us check-in immediately. It was such a relief after our long train journey from London.

The room (standard) and bathroom was of adequate size. Even though the room was quite elegant and modern the carpet had a few stains and hasn’t been cleaned properly.

The reception staff was friendly and welcoming. Breakfast buffet was excellent, with a reasonable selection.

We definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely comments on our Hotel. We are perfectly located for either walking or travelling around Edinburgh by bus. Delighted you enjoyed your time with us and hope you will return to us again soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

It's a sweet little hotel and I did return after a 3 day trip for a one more night. However...

The good news first: The rooms are spacious and quiet. The location is great for walking and daily necessities. The front desk is sometimes kind, sometimes moody, sometimes hard to understand. I don't think they mean to be unkind or lack courtesy, I think it may cultural. (benefit of the doubt always)

Less favorable:
Cleaning crew might need to be less speedy and more attentive as I noticed teas were often not replenished and a stray piece of string stayed on the floor until I picked it up. Someone elses soap was in the dish tray when I arrived, and I removed it.
Food in the restaurant is not the best but food is subjective so you have to find out if it works for you. Service in the restaurant is excellent, they try their best. The chef might want to ask himself whether some veggies look too old and withered to put on a dinner plate...

Room Tip: My room 410 was less pleasant than room 312 which was wonderful. Why? Perhaps the third floor room w...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for your comments - we do aim to please and we obviously did not do so on your return to our Hotel. I do hope you will let us make it up to you if you return to Edinburgh again.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

We booked a twin room through a booking agent on the internet, an old classmate and myself, wanting to catch up after a long time and we were looking forward to visit Edinburgh.
On booking in we were given a double room. When we went down to reception to clarify things, we were told that a twin room is not bookable with internet bookings and we need to play a supplement (which was quite a lot!), in not too friendly manner.
Had we known beforehand we would have cancelled the bookings and booked another hotel, because that put quite a damper on the holiday. Especially after even having trouble getting another duvet.
The room and interior was of good standard, but housekeeping could have been better, a lot of very dusty surfaces. Dead flowers in the reception for the three days we were staying there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank gohlah

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry you did not get the twin room you required and hope this did not detract from your holiday. We do aim to accommodate all our guests, but this time we were not given the correct information in advance from the booking agent. Comments on housekeeping have been passed to the Department and have been discussed at length at our operational meeting.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I just stayed at the 10 Hill with my husband for the weekend. The room and bathroom were very spacious and quiet. We enjoyed our 3 big windows overlooking the small gardened square in front of the hotel. Bathroom was equipped for wheelchairs. The location is very good if you're looking for a quiet spot and good sleep nights. The hotel is situated some 15 min walking from the Royal mile, so really not a problem reaching the city center and its touristic attractions and restaurants. Staff is very helpful and kind. Only drawback, they came to set up our room at 5.40 pm and we were just came back to the hotel to rest before dinner, so actually we didn't have the room cleaned but they gave us clean towels and all the tea and sugar we needed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for placing your comments on Trip Advisor. We are in a great location if you want peace and quiet to sleep and yet be near all the attractions Edinburgh has to offer. We did have a problem that day, hence the reason your room was not cleaned for your return and I hope our staff took care of all your needs. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed here with friends Whilst going to a show. I read the review and yes there were one or two who were not completely happy, however, from experience I know now to go with the majority as everyone has different expectations.

Our check was very good, rooms were ready and we were all very pleased with the rooms. Spacious quite and clean. The beds were very comfortable and had a great night sleep. Great bathroom and the frsted glass door was not a problem as it was to the side of the main room.

The breakfast was excellent and everything was fresh. Ok we had to wait 10 mins for a table as it was very busy and the restaurant is small, but it was worth it and the staff were very attentive and organised.

Happy to say I would stay here again as it was very well situated, with very friendly and polite
staff.

Room Tip: Superior executive great value for money
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we are pleased to say the majority of our guests would agree with you. Do not leave it too long before you come back and see us again.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Got off to a bad start when we arrived...we weren't certain of car parking arrangements so one of us went in to check the facilities while the other stayed in the car as 2 traffic wardens were lurking nearby. The Receptionist advised £12.50 for the night in their car park and gave us a card to get through the barrier. We were advised this was the best thing as the on street parking was expensive (true!) and you had to pay between the hours of 6.30pm and 8.30 am (untrue). As we were only staying one night this seemed unduly expensive. I drove into the car park and there were no spaces. The car park was no more than a lane and it was impossible to turn , so I had to reverse back up the small incline, out through the barrier and onto the road while avoiding the bin someone had left at the entrance/exit for the parking facility. Reversing blind into the road isn't great! It turned out the parking wasn't quite as expensive as we had arrived at 5.30pm and the 'pay period' stopped at 6.30pm so we only had to pay for one hour as long as we were away by 8.30am the next morning. She didn't seem to care she'd got her facts mixed up.

We weren't impressed and handed the card back when we checked in. The Receptionist said we could have parked in a section, clearly marked reserved which would have made it difficult for anyone else to get back out of their 'car park' - it can only take 6 or 7 cars - she also repeated the wrong information about on street parking.

The Reception is bright enough and checking in and out is a straightforward process.

When we arrived at our room and opened the wardrobe there was a dirty white sock lying on the floor! This then makes you look at other things -

- drawer with the hairdryer was dirty
- access hatch on low ceiling was fairly obvious as it was covered in dirty fingerprints
- point on the wall where you put you card in to keep the electricity on was very dirty where many hands had been touching
- skirting in the bathroom had very thick dust on it - this leads up beside the toilet and I know I shouldn't but I couldn't resist looking and as I suspected it hadn't been cleaned for a while! The toilet is very close to the wall and I think it's too difficult to reach around the side and clean the space.
- the shower/ bath wasn't the cleanest with dirty silicon and mildew in the corners and part of the shower was broken too
- the door handle to the bathroom was also broken
- it was also clear the carpet hadn't been cleaned properly

As we were attending a function within an hour or so we didn't want to go through the hassle of changing rooms, though I left a note of these things for the cleaner or whoever came next!

The bed seemed a bit strange as the lower end was higher than where the pillows were. It took a few seconds to work it out - the duvet was folded under the mattress by about 18 inches! The reason being that if the duvet was fully pulled up it covered the bedside drawers as there wasn't sufficient space at that end of the bed due to how small the space was to fit the bed into. We had to move one bedside to open and close the curtains.

The hotel is owned by the Royal College of Surgeons and as we were attending a function in their very impressive facility, we had been guided here by the organisers. The hotel is certainly very convenient for these functions but I wouldn't stay here if there is a next time.

We went to the bar after our function, were the only people there, but the night porter who attended ( we had to go to Reception to get him) was pleasant and not the least put out with us being there. We had the buffet breakfast the next morning and the efficiency and pleasantness of the staff and quality of the breakfast almost made me up my score slightly but I'm afraid cleanliness is very important to me.

We stayed at a premier Inn budget hotel a couple of weeks earlier in Edinburgh for less than half the price and I would definitely stay there ahead of Ten Hill Place in future. I don't know whether they hiked their prices for our function but we were told the cheapest room was £115 for the night - a thursday in March - though found a cheaper one for £85 online. As I already mentioned paying £12.50 for parking on top of that would have been ridiculous.

I was beginning to wonder if I'd been overly generous in previous reviews as I've been to some excellent 4 and 5 star hotels in the past 18 months - this one has confirmed that wasn't the case - they were just all better than this one!

I would add that I know of someone else who stayed in the same hotel on the same night and classed it as 'good'.

Room Tip: classic room was very small, better upgrading
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Jim G

Thank you for your comments. We take all complaints very seriously and our housekeeping department have been advised of your comments. Also there must have been a misunderstanding about the parking as you do not pay between the hours of 6.30 pm and 8.30 am which all our reception staff are aware of so I can only apologise for what has obviously been crosswires. Glad to hear your found our waiting and bar staff attentive.