“Great deli with cafe”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Leith
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I went twice to this cafe while in Edinburg - once solo and one with friends. I believe it’s an Edinburgh institution. You've got to know it’s there - it’s right at the back of the deli. I had a delicious cooked breakfast. I also bought stuff in the deli - very good but very expensive.

1  Thank Ian B

Reviewed March 4, 2018

Great dinner and wonderful value. Only just apparently reopened for evening meals but genuinely Italian meal. Superb Antipasti followed by a very very good pizza. Only one other table in use which was a great shame. Lovely waitress made the dinner highly amusing. I will bet a meal in a fashionable Italian restaurant in the city centre would cost double the amount - very good house wine for under £15. Difficult to resist the huge variety of wines on show in the rear of the shop!

Reviewed March 4, 2018

We had heard about Valvona & Crolla from the 44 Scotland Street books by Alexander McCall Smith, and had a spare hour on a Sunday lunchtime before going to the cinema round the corner.
Firstly ( the Aladdin's cave reference) the delicatessen is stunning. The presentation of food and wine etc. on the shelves is beautiful and so, so tempting. You could easily spend a fortune on gastronomical delights.
The cafe restaurant looks as if it has been refitted fairly recently. The staff were friendly and efficient and the food was very tasty (washed down with a glass each of Gavi).
In summary, you can visit the shop just to have a look, but having a meal there is a worthwhile treat too.

1  Thank IsleofManBuggane
Reviewed February 19, 2018 via mobile

I bought a ready made sandwich to take back to my desk for lunch. What a cheek! £3.25 for a roast beef and horseradish sandwich that was mostly fat, gristle and sauce with a couple of wimpy salad leaves thrown in. Valvona usually has a high standard for food and wine so why make such a rubbish job of the takeaway sandwiches? My advice, go to Greggs next door for your sandwich needs!

ValvonaC, Manager at Valvona & Crolla Caffe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2018

Dear Scoti99,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the standard of this sandwich.

Please can you email us at comments@valvonacrolla.co.uk so that we can respond to you directly.

Kindest regards,

Valvona & Crolla Management Team

Reviewed February 10, 2018 via mobile

Popped in to the shop to buy food. Decided to visit the cafe and have a snack. I choose soup. It was ok but I’ve never had stratciatella with noodles before. I prefer it without and with a dash of Marsala.