1,869 results
All reviews road hole restaurant jigger inn sands grill fourth floor eden room the rooftop hot tub on arrival fairway suite thermal suite first class deep bath upgraded to a suite glass of prosecco hams hame afternoon tea special treat moment you arrive
Reviewed January 2, 2017 via mobile

I was so excited to stay at the old course but I have left disappointed! When we checked in, on Hogmanay we got offered a glass of prosecco which was nice & our room was a good size, dated (but I know a refurb is underway) with a view of scaffolding & the car park. - £270 was a bit steep! But the bed was a dream & the bathroom was nice! Dined at Sans Grill, which is not a luxury looking restaurant but it was NYE & busy! Service was not great, other table came in after us got all their drinks etc where we had to ask a few times to get water. Also got given food which wasn't ours.. and a limited selection of spirits compared to the roadhole bar in the hotel. All our starters were nice, I had the mussels. Then the main courses came promptly after, I had the chicken which in my opinion was inedible, the guys had the fish basket which was seemingly dry & tasteless & the pasta my friend had was overly spicy & over cooked. All in all terrible meal, but the staff did take my main dish off the bill & we received 40% off the bill. But all we really wanted was a nice meal on Hogmanay. Roadhole bar was busy & the table service we received was good. Our friends room had a really unpleasant sewage smell when they went back in the early hours of the morning. Myself & my friend did complain upon check out & she did receive a free nights stay.. so hopefully when the refurb is complete & maybe with more staffing & better quality this hotel will go up in my expectations! I won't rush back..

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gemsl87
OldCourseHotel, Director of Operations at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2017

Dear Gemsl87,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. It is always sad when a guest leaves our resort having not had their expectations met.

I am very sorry that the meal and service in our Sands Grill was not 100%, however I'm pleased that our team reacted quickly to the issues of food quality by reducing your bill.

On a positive note, I was very pleased you enjoyed your room and the service in the Road Hole Bar and do hope you had the opportunity to view the amazing fireworks display at midnight, celebrating the New Year.

I am sorry that you won't be rushing back but do hope you will reconsider as we would enjoy having you with us again, so that we can try and restore your confidence in us.

Thank you again for your most valuable feedback.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 2, 2017

Luxurious traditional hotel in the centre of St Andrews with magnificent views over the course and coast. Excellent service and the food was amazing from breakfast to dinner. A trip to the spa is a must, first class service.

Room tip: Pay for a non-course view as you have plenty of opportunity to see this view from other parts of the hotel.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Dora007

Dear Dora007,

Many thanks for your kind comments on this site. I was delighted to learn that you had such a good time, that the cuisine and service you received were so good, and that you enjoyed your trip to our Kohler Waters Spa.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again later this year.

Reviewed December 29, 2016

Fantastic hotel - we were lucky to be upgraded to a suite for our stay which was for a special birthday which made it an occasion to remember. Service was outstanding and the old course suite had views "to die for" Looking forward to our next visit. Simply the best hotel I have ever stayed in - spa was amazing and very relaxing.

Room tip: A view over the old course
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank FionaM2190
OldCourseHotel, Director of Operations at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2017

Dear Fiona M,

Thank you for leaving such a glowing reference further to your recent stay with us. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed our Kohler Waters Spa, the team looked after you well and it was the best hotel you had stayed in... WOW, our team will be delighted to read this. Thank you.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to St. Andrews.

Reviewed December 28, 2016 via mobile

A real enjoyable 2 night stay at this great hotel . Service Is a given ... add a great breakfast and dinner with a view that is unrivalled in the UK. It was a stroke of genius to place the restaurant/bar on the 4 floor with stunning views over the course and old town.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank stmartindp

Dear stmartindp,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your review on this site. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and that our team looked after you well.

We appreciate your support and look forward to welcoming you back later in 2017.

Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 28, 2016 via mobile

Although the weather was cold and crisp on the outside, the welcome and service was welcoming and warm.
3 day package over the festive period which didn't disappoint. From the concierge being most attentive on arrival, restaurant staff ,spa personnel and overall service team being a real asset.
Room upgrade on arrival- suite room 136 overlooking the 17/18th fairway and the clubhouse just opposite. Suspect this was a customer service action as the hotel was 40% full we were informed, as well as the building/ renovation work in progress. With saying that during the stay were didn't hear or see any workers. Great customer relations touch and I'm sure all who benefited will return once the renovation works complete in April.
Room splendid, will full facilities, min bar. Walk in shower, jacuzzi bath, 2 large TVs screens located in the lounge area and bedroom. Not to forget the 2 toilets. Great view with the beach and sea in view.
Dining was excellent, sands grill on the first night, although the service was a little delayed, put that down to the numbers , the food was excellent. Certainly recommend the Dover sole.
road hole restaurant on Christmas Day lunch, menu compact with 4 starters, 4 main and similar no deserts. Food quality, presentation first class and the service superb, even accommodating table choice given my father is virtually blind and prefers to seat in a sunny position.
The spa facilities are very good, although a little busy on the 26th with a few children in. Can't complain as the thermal area was child free and most pleasurable.
Forgot to mention the afternoon tea for 2 on arrival, excellent, with plenty of selection and was enough for 3' served in the conservatory which was a lovely setting.
The only downside point I can make is the lighting in both rooms, corridors, restaurant, especially the grill- very dark. This was raised at reception and this is being looked into as part of the refurbishment. I hope so, as it detracts from the overall 5 star experience. A further point - £18 for 2 gin and tonics !! Come on.
OveraL stay experience was excellent and I'm sure the refurbishment will only add to the proposition. Hopefully it won't be passed on to the guests in way of room tariffs and charges. Would recommend and return.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Mark S
OldCourseHotel, Director of Operations at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2016

Dear Mark S,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us for Christmas. I was delighted to read that so many aspects of your stay with us were so positive and that our team looked after you well.

Thanks also for your points on the dim lighting. We are certainly addressing this in our bedrooms and are looking into how we can improve the lighting in other areas also.

The G&T's at £9 each. Thank you for this feedback. We serve double measures as standard and so this, and depending on the type of Gin selected, the price can be seen as being quite high in comparison to other bars.

Thank you for your recommendation and your wish to return. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to St Andrews.