“Great location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Maryport, United Kingdom
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife and I stayed 2 nights. We travelled by rail so this was the perfect location for all our needs. Everything we wanted was within walking distance, eg shops, cafes, restaurants, and the Royal Concert Hall. We will stay here again and recommend it to anyone visiting Glasgow.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review and for your top rating of 5!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we will be able to welcome you back again in the future; a very warm welcome awaits you and your wife upon your return.

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (853)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Co. Louth, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

This hotel is full of character and is not the usual run of the mill chain hotel.
The beautiful wide staircase and panelled walls bring you back to another era and the atmospheric photographs of times past and the famous people who stayed in the hotel are lovely.
The hotel has very very long corridors where the rooms are situated so if you have any problems walking you should request a room near the lift.
The breakfast was very good with a wide choice of fresh fruit, cereals, cooked breakfasts and a friendly chef to look after you.
All the staff were friendly and welcoming.
There is a nice bar and lounge area where you can sit and have coffee or drinks and it overlooks the train station which is interesting in itself.
The down side for us was that the room we got on the fourth floor was overlooking the train station roof and the noise from the hundreds of seagulls perched on it during the night was pretty bad. The seagulls are attracted to the warmth and the light shining through the glass roof. The windows are not double glazed so that didn't help. We asked for a different room the next day and that was no problem and I must say we were well looked after.
The hotel is very well located and you can walk to all the shops from here.
All in all a good experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with double glazing as the single glazed rooms are quite noisy.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bonniepippa
Thank you for taking the time to review further to your recent stay with us.

It's pleasing to read that you had a good experience with us here at the Grand Central; disappointing that you were disturbed by seagull noise initially although I am pleased to hear that our team were able to assist with the matter efficiently.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

This recently renovated hotel is centrally located in Glasgow. The service was superb--especially the concierge. They attended to all our needs. The accommodations were more than adequate. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the front street on a weekend. There may be noise when the bars let out...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank loonisland
Top rating of 5 and a great review - Thank you!

It is rewarding to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you received superb customer service from the Grand Central team.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Had my first stay at this hotel in Glasgow this week. Very impressed with the well trained polite and helpful staff. The hotel was spotless and I was pleasantly surprised at the room. It was warm, quiet (I always ask for a quiet room ) and comfortable. Everything in the room was new and fresh and I had free wifi access which was important for me being on business. The bathroom was huge and so clean I liked the non slip bath mat touch. I good addition for older folk not. I had several meetings that day in the lounge and out of the hotel. The service was good and I left my bags with the concierge who let me go back and forth to collect papers and Ipad without a quibble. (nice chaps) The front desk chaps were helpful with directions and information and the waiting staff were lovely. It took me seconds to walk to my train and I mean seconds! It was an ideal location for my city centre meetings both formal and informal.
I booked through late rooms so got this at a fraction of the normal cost. It was well worth the visit and I will be returning here again. Would recommend to others for business of pleasure. Well done to the management team here a good well run establishment. Made my business trip much more enjoyable. Thank-you

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and top rating of 5!

It sounds like you booked on our business traveller package with full Scottish breakfast, free wi-fi and a glass of champagne in Champagne Central which teamed up with our unbeatable location and passion to deliver great customer service we believe this makes the Grand Central ideal for guests like yourself travelling on business.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in April as part of a holiday. The hotel is very well situated, we got the 500 bus from the airport for £7.50 return which worked really well. It's right in the centre of the city, near the shops and a lot of the major sights. Also, some really nice restaurants nearby, would recommend The Grill on the Corner particularly. The hotel has been very well reburbished, the room was average size but very comfortable with a huge bathroom. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. The heating was slightly random, no numbers on the dial so you had no idea how hot or cold it was and no air con but then you don't really need it! You can hear noise from the road but as you're right in the centre it's only what you'd expect and isn't excessive by any means. All in all a great hotel, wouldn't hesitate before booking here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FleetAli
Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at the Grand Central Hotel during your holiday.

Our central location is certainly a main advantage for us, with a fantastic selection of shops, bars and restaurants and excellent transport links on our doorstep!

It's great that you would not hesitate to stay with us again in the future, a warm welcome awaits you.

Kind regards,
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed over for a night with a friend, huge room, high ceilings, modern ensuite, lovely modern decor, comfortable beds, grand staircase, friendly helpful staff, pleasant champagne bar and as part of Central Station very easy access to secc, 12 mins from band leaving the stage to drinks in the bar!! A very enjoyable stay!

Stayed April 2012
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for your great review and positive feedback.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your experience with us and I hope we will be able to welcome you again soon.

Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst in Glasgow for business.
The building is attractive and elegant and public areas are well proportioned. I enjoyed using the grand staircase rather than the lifts!
The champagne bar overlooks the station, which is fun to watch whilst sipping a chilled glass.
My room was very spacious, attractively and stylishly decorated and included a nice deep safe, coffee and tea making facilities, power sockets by the bed and a full length mirror plus power point by the door, opposite the bathroom.
The shower was powerful and I enjoyed a very hot shower late at night, but my colleague who chose to shower at 4.00 in the morning said that the water was a bit cool.
We ate in the hotel restaurant, which was attractive and served excellent food.
My only criticisms are that the blinds on the window didn't blot out the street light very well as there were large gaps down the sides of each blind. I didn't mind it too much, but if you need dark to sleep this would be really annoying. I do wonder if you could see in from the opposite building though!
I was also taken aback by the cost of the coffee in the dining room - £8 from memory. That is taking the proverbial.
I would definitely stay again, but won't be having coffee after dinner next time!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business