“Sooo plushhhh...”

Ranked #16 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
York, United Kingdom
“Sooo plushhhh...”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed one night only for NYE 2011/12, and wish we'd booked for longer. I don't need to wax lyrical about how beautiful and stylish the hotel is as you can read about it in other reviews. I just wanted to point out a few little things that made my stay memorable and even more comfortable.

Several big pluses:

-super comfortable beds (which can be extremely dangerous if you have to check out in the morning). Their midday check out policy made the transition into the outside world less painful though.

-BIG bottles of good quality toiletries. So much easier to use than miniscule bottles you get at some hotels of similar standard. Plus, they smell so lovely that you will want to take them home with you. I do not think you can get Arran Aromatics products elsewhere.

-Top quality breakfast ingredients. Perfectly poached eggs with orange yolk…Could not fault it. And delivered HOT to our room (something the Dorchester is sometimes not capable of achieving)

- Flexible and generous staff - they went an extra mile to make our stay even more pleasant and comfortable. Our in-room breakfast order was taken after 11, even though they stop serving breakfast then. The breakfast tray charge and several items we had consumed from the mini bar were deducted from our bill on checking out on their own initiative. What a nice good-bye present. It was like staying with a wealthy and generous friend.

-beautifully served afternoon tea. Left me a bit underwhelmed - even Betty's in York have more adventurous flavours. Tasty enough though.

-Very cosy whisky room. Good mojitos. Would like a better selection of affordable fizz. Regret I didn't give them my usual test which is ordering a classic champagne cocktail. Oh well, will have to come back to check that.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Smultronstallet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Clydebank, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012 via mobile

Our stay at this hotel started with a wonderful, warm and helpful welcome - the best possible start to a luxurious stay.
Our room was warm, tastefully furnished and decorated in an unusual rich style. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linen was luxurious. The bathroom was well equipped with a large deep bath and a wonderfully refreshing shower. The toiletries were of a very high standard and worth taking home.
Room service was quick and efficient. An ice bucket was delivered quickly with no fuss.
Dinner was a great experience and the quality off the food was first class. Excellent guidance was provided on the choice of wine. Overall this was probably one of the best dinners I have had - so far.
Breakfast was particularly good with an exceptional 'full Scotish breakfast' with very good mini black puddings and sausages.
Throughout, the service at dinner, breakfast, the bar and reception was friendly and proficient. Even when we left the doorman could not have been more helpful.
This hotel epitomises what a good hotel should be - all resources are focused upon ensuring that guests have a great experience. This hotel is a credit to Scottish hospitality, and the leaders and staff should be proud of what they are delivering. I look forward to returning.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Crystal2161
Glasgow
Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

This is as charming a hotel as you'll get. The staff make you feel at home and after 2 nights, I honestly did not want to leave! My guests and I were treated like royalty by David the most generous and obliging concierge I have ever come across and even now if I visit for brunch, he knows my name and asks after my husband and dogs.

The rooms are all unique, the beds extremely comfortable and the facilities and staff are wonderful.

If you are visiting Glasgow and want a home away from home, look no further. It is, in my opinion, flawless.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mcthomson
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Beautiful rooms, friendly helpful staff, great food and great service. There are very few hotels I've stayed at and managed to tick all those boxes. This was our second stay here and you will be my first choice of hotel each time I visit Glasgow. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tesskedd
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I always wanted to stay at this hotel as its in the book '1000 Places To See Before You Die' and i had the opportunity one Sunday evening whilst on business in Galsgow....and I was not dissappointed.

Really lovely staff throughout, great room and a fantastic quality meal in the bar with a wonderful bottle of wine - very memorable and i intend to take my wife back there very soon...!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank papasteve1961
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I have known of Hotel du Vin for many years but rarely stay in UK hotels so this was the first chance to check them out. We had two seperate nights in Glasgow and I was very impressed.
Staff were all extremely friendly and attentive. Rooms were both large and well appointed. Bathrooms well planned and fitted with big fluffy towels and nice toileteries.
To me they struck the perfect balance of friendliness and professionalism, added to this was an extremely attractive property with nice rooms, bar etc. albeit slightly out of the way if you are wanting to nip in to central Glasgow.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank IncaWalnut
Glasgow
Reviewed 8 May 2012

When I stayed at the Hotel du Vin, Glasgow I was waiting for something to go wrong.

The whole place is just fantastic, the suite we stayed in was massive. The supply you with a golf putter and balls to keep you occupied but with the size of the room you could easily have use a driver.

The beds are huge and give a great night sleep, we had dinner in our room and to have a table brought up and set up was of no issue whatsoever. Service was great and the bar downstairs was well stocked and cosy with the fire on during the winter evening.

The best place in the room was the bathroom, with a great rain forest shower and great bath with a tv in the wall and my favourite touch of all was the heated flooring.

Its easy to see why Hotel du vin is the rich and famous first choice to stay when in Glasgow.

You must give this a try and the you will see where all other hotels are going wrong.

Room Tip: You must stay in a suite to get the whole Hotel du vin experience.