“More "Tique than Bou"”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 30 May 2012

MORE “TIQUE” than “BOU”….
I am one of those fortunate people that get to travel the world and stay in various hotels at someone else’s expense. Sometimes it’s a nightmare and sometimes it’s well, simply delightful. The “Hotel du Vin” falls into the latter…..SIMPLY DELIGHTFUL!!!!
I must start with the Gallic greet that I received, charming, sincere and above all, helpful. The staff were dressed in traditional Scottish Tartan, but oddly did not look out of place for 2012….actually quite refreshing compared to the sterility of black and white that one tends to be adorned by everywhere else.
Helpful, attentive and always there without being on your shoulder. My visit was for business but the staff turned it into a 12 hour break.
The building was impressive…several houses (I think of the early Victorian era???) adjoined in a terrace but gave the impression of individuality. The décor, dark (Victorian) I imagine sympathetic to the construction and/or planning laws however worked beautifully. Medium oak panelling with the odd modern bric-a-brac thrown in for good measure and a reality check as to the era we are currently in….again worked!!!
My room was spacious with a free standing bath and double shower, even a Tassimo maker by the bed with a little wooden box containing 4 capsules…delightful.
In essence…simply delightful: the staff were fabulous; if I owned an establishment of similar proportion, I would poach the lot….perhaps du VIN group should franchise their training methods.
My only criticisms are; 1. No Air-con in the room or common parts (but an oscillating fan in the room) – it was a hot day (but how often is that the case in Glasgow and maybe planning restrictions hindered???) 2. No San Pellegrino water (I am a water snob..if possible??), but were proudly happy to supply copious amounts of Highland Spring, of which great pride was taken to extol it’s value – I imagine a degree of Nationalism was presented…but why not???
All in all…..delightful, whether a legitimate/illicit/business or an “I deserve it moment” – I strongly recommend it… my room was the “CLOS L’EGLISE” – ground floor.
A massive thank you, and well-done to all and sundry that I dealt with.
Your company should be proud of you!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank forbiche08
Write a ReviewReviews (1,490)

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed one night only for NYE 2011/12, and wish we'd booked for longer. I don't need to wax lyrical about how beautiful and stylish the hotel is as you can read about it in other reviews. I just wanted to point out a few little things that made my stay memorable and even more comfortable.

Several big pluses:

-super comfortable beds (which can be extremely dangerous if you have to check out in the morning). Their midday check out policy made the transition into the outside world less painful though.

-BIG bottles of good quality toiletries. So much easier to use than miniscule bottles you get at some hotels of similar standard. Plus, they smell so lovely that you will want to take them home with you. I do not think you can get Arran Aromatics products elsewhere.

-Top quality breakfast ingredients. Perfectly poached eggs with orange yolk…Could not fault it. And delivered HOT to our room (something the Dorchester is sometimes not capable of achieving)

- Flexible and generous staff - they went an extra mile to make our stay even more pleasant and comfortable. Our in-room breakfast order was taken after 11, even though they stop serving breakfast then. The breakfast tray charge and several items we had consumed from the mini bar were deducted from our bill on checking out on their own initiative. What a nice good-bye present. It was like staying with a wealthy and generous friend.

-beautifully served afternoon tea. Left me a bit underwhelmed - even Betty's in York have more adventurous flavours. Tasty enough though.

-Very cosy whisky room. Good mojitos. Would like a better selection of affordable fizz. Regret I didn't give them my usual test which is ordering a classic champagne cocktail. Oh well, will have to come back to check that.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Smultronstallet
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Our stay at this hotel started with a wonderful, warm and helpful welcome - the best possible start to a luxurious stay.
Our room was warm, tastefully furnished and decorated in an unusual rich style. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linen was luxurious. The bathroom was well equipped with a large deep bath and a wonderfully refreshing shower. The toiletries were of a very high standard and worth taking home.
Room service was quick and efficient. An ice bucket was delivered quickly with no fuss.
Dinner was a great experience and the quality off the food was first class. Excellent guidance was provided on the choice of wine. Overall this was probably one of the best dinners I have had - so far.
Breakfast was particularly good with an exceptional 'full Scotish breakfast' with very good mini black puddings and sausages.
Throughout, the service at dinner, breakfast, the bar and reception was friendly and proficient. Even when we left the doorman could not have been more helpful.
This hotel epitomises what a good hotel should be - all resources are focused upon ensuring that guests have a great experience. This hotel is a credit to Scottish hospitality, and the leaders and staff should be proud of what they are delivering. I look forward to returning.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Crystal2161
Reviewed 15 May 2012

This is as charming a hotel as you'll get. The staff make you feel at home and after 2 nights, I honestly did not want to leave! My guests and I were treated like royalty by David the most generous and obliging concierge I have ever come across and even now if I visit for brunch, he knows my name and asks after my husband and dogs.

The rooms are all unique, the beds extremely comfortable and the facilities and staff are wonderful.

If you are visiting Glasgow and want a home away from home, look no further. It is, in my opinion, flawless.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mcthomson
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Beautiful rooms, friendly helpful staff, great food and great service. There are very few hotels I've stayed at and managed to tick all those boxes. This was our second stay here and you will be my first choice of hotel each time I visit Glasgow. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tesskedd
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I always wanted to stay at this hotel as its in the book '1000 Places To See Before You Die' and i had the opportunity one Sunday evening whilst on business in Galsgow....and I was not dissappointed.

Really lovely staff throughout, great room and a fantastic quality meal in the bar with a wonderful bottle of wine - very memorable and i intend to take my wife back there very soon...!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank papasteve1961
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I have known of Hotel du Vin for many years but rarely stay in UK hotels so this was the first chance to check them out. We had two seperate nights in Glasgow and I was very impressed.
Staff were all extremely friendly and attentive. Rooms were both large and well appointed. Bathrooms well planned and fitted with big fluffy towels and nice toileteries.
To me they struck the perfect balance of friendliness and professionalism, added to this was an extremely attractive property with nice rooms, bar etc. albeit slightly out of the way if you are wanting to nip in to central Glasgow.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business